Notices

Reflections on suicide of Robin Williams

Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Reflections on suicide of Robin Williams

This Robin Williams thing just hit me smack between the eyes! I think it did all of us.

Then I realized it really scared me at a deep level personally. He died of depression.
Will this be my fate? If he with all his genius, resources and experience could no longer fight it, then any of us who suffer from depression/bipolar may never be safe.

I watched the press conference and then started doing some researching. I read up on the specifics of the methodology. He would have been unconscious very quickly...between 8-13 seconds, then it takes 10-20 minutes for the heart to stop beating but for all intents and purposes, he was dead when he fell unconscious. I did not look up the time for the rigor mortis but I read enough that I think in his case it means he had been dead for, at the very least, 1-2 hours or longer, especially with lividity also set.
Somehow I just "knew" he had hung himself before that was announced. (too much exposure in real life, I think)

(I am a natural at research and it has often been an important part of even the whole of my job when I was well enough to work professionally...I have a natural curiosity and a drive to know all the details)

I have another slight suspicion. He was open about relapsing and going into rehab in 2007? (did not make notes) but this summer claimed to be sober and went for a tune up. It is talked about in a completely different manner, it's an anomaly that doesn't fit the whole. Publicly it has been speculated that they were hiding a relapse for publicity reasons...but relapse and rehab in Hollywood are too common to believe that, it's de rigeur. I am wondering if he did not go inpatient for the bipolar/depression? That is something that is hidden. Usually they say such and such has been hospitalized for exhaustion.

Why bother with all this? It matters to me. I need to understand as much as I can, not just for myself but for my family member and numerous friends and acquaintances who have also succumbed.

I wound up stumbling onto a board of forums much like here that is for suicide grief support and just began at the intro and read one story after another. That is what kept me up most of the night. Just reading and taking in those stories of horror and heartbreak.

I am left wondering why Mr Williams did not go to a private hospital or whatever was in his crisis/safety plan for his children's sake, if not for himself. I think it is a type of temporary insanity, I know I have been there.

I am going to go return to my reading on that site. I am gaining something from it.

Someone in the world kills themselves every 3 seconds. In our country it is responsible for more deaths than cancer or auto accidents. The veil of silence and shame must be ripped and rendered aside.

It would be nice if Mr Williams' high profile, celebrity status, beloved of all, would open this dialogue...but I can already here the rationalization of high creativity and mental illness and suicide as we as a society justify and step around such a sensitive subject, tho in truth it touches the lives of most in some way.

one very tired t.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I'm wondering what his autopsy will reveal?

I came across a movie with him in it that just came out on DVD .
In the movie he finds out he has a short time to live and attempts suicide in the movie.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

typo in last paragraph...hear not here.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Toxicology will not be released for 2-6 weeks.
I am waiting for that too.

David watched that movie last night and told me of the parallels between the movie and what has happened.

I don't want to watch it at this time.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

so you think because robin williams killed himself your now in danger of doing the same ? is that what your telling us all ?

i think you should think again
its robin williams who died and not you
Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Desypete,

Bipolar is the deadliest mental illness. I have been in danger of suicide for a few years now.

50% will attempt suicide, 20% will complete it.

Robin Williams is one of many who will or had died from this this week, we just don't hear about them.

Yes, it shakes me up that someone who was so successful and seemed to have found great coping skills suddenly succumbed to this illness.

Most of us are not able to handle this illness so well in our daily lives while he seemed to excel.

Ideally, losing this icon could be a springboard for education about depression/bipolar.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
Desypete,

Bipolar is the deadliest mental illness. I have been in danger of suicide for a few years now.

Robin Williams is one of many who will or had died from this this week, we just don't hear about them.

Yes, it shakes me up that someone who was so successful and seemed to have found great coping skills suddenly succumbed to this illness.

Most of us are not able to handle this illness so well in our daily lives while he seemed to excel.

Ideally, losing this icon could be a springboard for education about depression/bipolar.
hmm
i have asked this question before on another thread so will ask it again

if you was living in a third world country in a mud hut with no water or no food how would you find help for this condition ?

do you think these guys might feel a little bit depressed at having no clean water ?
how do you think they possibly cope ?

it fascinates me the differences between peoples in our well off country's we go to drs and get pills and all sorts of help yet still feel so empty and depressed to the point of even suicide
i dont know what the suicide rate is over in a third world country but i would be very surprised if it was a high %

now given the fact i have had to work so hard on me as a person and my own mental condition ie i have to change the way i behave and that means

if i hear about someones death i dont go running around the internet looking for facts and figures that will feed my own fears

all i do is accept it and just get on with my day but at one time i would never be able to do that as i was just living my life the same way i had always lived

so when i look at how 3rd world people live in terms of how happy and grateful they would be to have even a loaf of bread it makes me see how lucky i am to be were i am today

and also i respect them for all there suffering and they dont even have a dr to care for them
how do they do it ?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everyone is entitled to their opinions however not all are well informed.

Depression is an organ illness. The organ is the brain.

This is well documented science.

I also know you received a reply showing that poor countries do indeed have mental illness.

It is the 5th leading cause of disability in the world.

AND I have lived for 7 months in a 3d world country.
I understand the difference between need and affluence...I've experienced both first hand. My depression has been consistent throughout.

How do they do it...the poverty, the hunger, the lack of basic needs.....many, many, many die.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Desypete,

Bipolar along with depression is the scariest illness to me.
My girlfriend (deceased) had it...I spent about 2 years after her death in a world of pain, questions that had no answers, and major fear of anyone who had a mental illness.

It's not something anyone can COMPARE another thing with.
3rd world suffering? Not having $, water? That has nothing to do with mental illness. At all.

I can really see why this would scare you, Live, and many others.
Totally understandable why you would be inclined to read what you've been reading.

R. Williams was, thankfully, very open for years about his mental health issues. I am beyond grateful he was.

So while I'm startled that he did this, I'm not freaked out.

I will never be able to understand suicide nor fully understand what happens in the minds of bipolar peeps.
I do have some insight into living with someone who had it. Yet I was in major denial untill the very very end. Even then I stayed in denial.
Two years of asking "WHY? WHY WHY WHY??" eventually got me to understand I'd never truly understand. And that's ok.

I don't understand a lot of things and no longer beat myself upside the head trying to understand, compare and argue. It's painful to do.

This is my disjointed, non-graceful attempt in telling Live that I couldn't agree more with near all of her posts here, and also to give her a very big (((((hug)))).

Ducking out for another couple days because my major issue would be called some kind of fear/avoidence of online posting and/or sharing in general. <---and I'd bet MOST people would NOT understand that one, either.

Take care yourselves, peeps!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Everyone is entitled to their opinions however not all are well informed.

Depression is an organ illness. The organ is the brain.

This is well documented science.

I also know you received a reply showing that poor countries do indeed have mental illness.

It is the 5th leading cause of disability in the world.

AND I have lived for 7 months in a 3d world country.
I understand the difference between need and affluence...I've experienced both first hand. My depression has been consistent throughout.

How do they do it...the poverty, the hunger, the lack of basic needs.....many, many, many die.
yes they do indeed die but by suicide or by lack or food and water or disease?

they some how have a built in immune system to all mental illnesses that we in the rich side of the world dont have or they simply have it and get on with life

i noticed your post and you stated as soon as you heard about robin williams death you flew around the internet looking for figures so you could build your fear up with even more

wouldn't a more practical thing to have been to just let it go and not even bother looking for things that will bring you fear ?

i only say this as i have battled with my self over many things in my life time ie being in prison, that didnt make me feel happy after a drunken binge, losing my son who i am the single parent who had to be there and look after him right up to the end
he died in my bedroom with me next to him
i didnt feel like a barrel of laughs after that either but i didnt run off to the drs looking for escape i have had to push my way out of the darkness and push on daily just living and it does pay off

but to do so i have to stop doing what i was doing before
ie stop looking for negitive things in life
stop feeding my fears
stop sitting at home doing nothing and getting out there and helping others etc
doing these things brought me and still do bring me some peace to my otherwise sad life

the dr offered me pills i said no as i know what they do to other people ie they keep them dependant on them and i have seen people in aa who are almost in a drunk state on these pills as they can not face the low feelings they have. there not suppose to replace lifes pain but to try to help in a short term way to help people get back on there feet
but for me i know i would get addicted to them hence i choice no pills and i will face the pain head on and deal with it daily

today its not half as painful as it was last year i can actually go out and laugh again around the meetings, so i know hard efforts work for me,
Old 08-13-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Desypete,

Very briefly, my fear is a pre-existing condition to Robin Williams' news of struggles or death.

I confess it struck me wrong when I read elsewhere that you do not believe in depression, which has made me defensive. All I can say is you are wrong about that and it can be proven.

I need some time to think about how to communicate clearly and respond to your last post.

My sympathies with your son. I also lost my son at 20 years of age.

Guyana, a very poor country, has the number highest rate of suicide. The US is 63d

Here is the link to all the world's nations.

SUICIDE DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY

Lethe,

Thank you most gratefully for your understanding and support. I won't bite.

Thanks for clarifying the apples and oranges comparison, I can get too easily distracted and not stop to think. I react then come back later and do a face-palm. lol

Now, please forgive me for dodging out for awhile but I cannot atm do this subject or this thread justice. My head is a block of wood from not getting enough sleep.

T.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, Live. I keep hoping for the day when something finally triggers the push to society to take mental illness and suicide seriously. Already people are saying "let him rest." Well, not talking about this does not help the people who still suffer. It's time to break the silence.

Today I had someone unload on me about their own struggles. The conversation started over robin williams...and this person knows that suicide is about escaping the pain. I shared about myself. I've had periods of severe depression...and it hasn't been until the past year or so that I can say the depression is in remission (I know that can change, but I have tools in the box if it should happen again). I encouraged them to seek help...and how it's okay to need help and get it....and how it takes time. I don't know if they'll get help. So many people try to handle it alone. I worry about this person...I could tell they haven't been doing well, and I'm a little surprised they opened up to me. A lot of people don't even talk to anyone. This person is funny, yet suffering, and they recognized themselves through RW. I hope they get help.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Robin's death hit me very hard too. I felt I knew him from seeing him in movies and comedy. To know that the person behind all the laughs is in such pain that they would kill themselves is horrible. I have felt suicidal many times and attempted it once. Nearly succeeded.

So any time I hear of someone taking their own life, it bothers me a lot. The only thing that kept me from following thru so many times was the effect it would have on my kids and family. I couldn't put them thru it, tho I did nearly succeed that one time.

I feel so badly for his family. What they must be going thru right now is unimaginable.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a valid fear T and in nature it's a lot like the fear people have of relapse.

I'm not bipolar but I have dealt with depression for decades and suicidal ideation in my younger years.

I learned a long time ago I am my best advocate - I listen to my body and my mind - I know when I'm not doing well and I get support.

If I don't do that chances are noone else will, so I *have* to be proactive.
The times I least feel like looking for help are probably the times I most need it.

I read Williams was looking for help - why he didn't get it, or didn't get it soon enough is something we may never know.

(((Live)))

D
Old 08-13-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Desypete,

You state that I went running around on the internet to feed my fears.
That's a projection and isn't true.

Since your next two paragraphs are based on that, I am going to ignore them as non applicable.

You are not hearing me and we are getting far from the topic of this thread.

It would behoove you to research some of your own assumptions.....generalizing from the personal to the universal. It's a logical error.

My stated hope was for de-stigmatization and education.

I can inform you with confidence that treating mental illness with medications is not running for pills for an escape. Too many lives are lost due to lack of treatment.

I am sorry about your son. I lost my son too.

Did I mention that more lives are lost in the US to suicide than cancer? Shocking, isn't it?
But that surely shouldn't cause us to marginalize cancer deaths or to ever stop treating it or researching for better treatments and hopefully, some day a cure.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Desypete,

You state that I went running around on the internet to feed my fears.
That's a projection and isn't true.

Since your next two paragraphs are based on that, I am going to ignore them as non applicable.

You are not hearing me and we are getting far from the topic of this thread.

It would behoove you to research some of your own assumptions.....generalizing from the personal to the universal. It's a logical error.

My stated hope was for de-stigmatization and education.

I can inform you with confidence that treating mental illness with medications is not running for pills for an escape. Too many lives are lost due to lack of treatment.

I am sorry about your son. I lost my son too.

Did I mention that more lives are lost in the US to suicide than cancer? Shocking, isn't it?
But that surely shouldn't cause us to marginalize cancer deaths or to ever stop treating it or researching for better treatments and hopefully, some day a cure.
you have heard the saying if i can do it then you can do it ?

we see it a lot around here
if you could of seen my 16 year old son dying and crying out that he didnt want to die i dont think there would be a dry eye around
and many may of felt like i felt as i was powerless to protect my son

now no one would blame me if i took a rope and did myself in all i did was lay in bed for almost a whole year couldnt hardly move as i was locked up inside my own pain
i had a home to run and other kids to see it as life sadly for me had to keep on moving on so i just muddled through it and did what i could but soon returned back to the bedroom where my son died so i could be close with him of course he wasnt there but its my only way i could deal with it

so i am puzzled that anyone who doesnt even have any where near the pain in life i have gone through wants to commit suicide ?

i look at people in the 3rd world country's who suffer so much yet still cling on and i look at our rich side of the world and i find it almost impossible to believe that people can have so much in there lives that there clearly not grateful for and there so sad they want to die

like Williams who had so much yet he killed himself
do i feel sorry for him ? no not at all i admired his talent and admired all the happiness he gave out to the world
but for killing himself when there are so many kids out there who would love to live is nothing i can hero worship him for

my own son was just 16 years of age and wanted to live with all his heart and he never got a chance. he didn't die in a peaceful way he died full of fear and pain and worse still he couldn't even have just 1 cold glass of water to quench his thirst
what a dam cruel way to die for a kid, let alone for me and my other kids who had to watch it all

none of us wanted to kill ourselves not even my little tony who died he clung on right up to the end when maybe it would of been better for him to have took his own life and spared himself a lot of pain and suffering ?

but he didnt he stuck it out and how the hell can a kid cling on to life and fully grown adults want the throw the towel in the moment there is a bit of pain in there lives ?
beggers belief it really does

there is no answer for why Williams did it he just did it
Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We were all posting at the same time.

WOW, Bamboozle, long time, no see. So glad to hear you are in remission and how well it speaks for you that this person found you approachable to talk with. I do hope they get help sooner rather than later as they have indeed revealed suicidal ideation. I agree with you obviously that this RW tragedy can bring awareness and your dialogue proved that. Let's not be in such a frantic rush to sweep it under the rug.
It is indeed, "time to break the silence".

Least, ((((hugs))))). Many times I have leaned hard on my responsibility to my family to get through the day when the black dog was barking.
I've woke up on the ventilator, an experience I shall never forget.
But, with laughter....even tho'it is listed as a suicide attempt I am still in rebellion about that. I swear it was not, really. I was trying to put myself to sleep, the usual kind of sleep.

Dee, I too thought of the parallels with alcoholic relapse, just didn't know how to fit it in or put it as eloquently as you.

I, too, have the same experience of reading my mind and body''s signals, when to get help and yes, that can be when it is hardest.

Some of my first thoughts were that RW had to know this too.

In the end I had to acknowledge that sometimes the voice of the illness overrides all else and in those few moments, we can lose ourselves enough to lose all.
This is what I believe happened with Mr Williams.
I think we can legitimately say that he literally was not in his right mind.

I apologize, Pete for repeating myself about our sons. Had a senior moment.
I also left out the Guyana was the #1 leading country in suicide...left out the #1. typo.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't answer for anyone else desypete but when I was suicidal I genuinely believed - in that moment - that death was not only the answer, but it was my only answer.

We can argue about it, and judge those decisions all we like, but trying to compare one person's despair against another's is pretty futile really.

It's like trying to judge someone's level of alcoholism.

Your son sounds like a brave kid and a credit to you as his dad.
I lost my bravery for a long time.

It was what it was.

D
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

@ live
This Robin Williams thing just hit me smack between the eyes! I think it did all of us.

Then I realized it really scared me at a deep level personally. He died of depression.
Will this be my fate? If he with all his genius, resources and experience could no longer fight it, then any of us who suffer from depression/bipolar may never be safe.

I watched the press conference and then started doing some researching. I read up on the specifics of the methodology. He would have been unconscious very quickly...between 8-13 seconds, then it takes 10-20 minutes for the heart to stop beating but for all intents and purposes, he was dead when he fell unconscious. I did not look up the time for the rigor mortis but I read enough

this was the part of your opening post that made me think you was ruining around in fear finding out things about williams death and how he died and scaring yourself even more wth the result you was coming up with
in your post you clearly state will this be your fate ?

that why i posted that part in one of my replys so i hope that clears up why i had said that : )
Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can't answer for anyone else desypete but when I was suicidal I genuinely believed - in that moment - that death was not only the answer, but it was my only answer.

We can argue about it, and judge those decisions all we like, but trying to compare one person's despair against another's is pretty futile really.

It's like trying to judge someone's level of alcoholism.

Your son sounds like a brave kid and a credit to you as his dad.
I lost my bravery for a long time.

It was what it was.

D
but dee you didnt do it and your still here so you did cling on like i did

i know its imposable for me to compare in terms of why do people do it this as i will never know
i know i wanted to die at the end of my drinking but i couldn't do anything about it other than drink and hope i will go to sleep and never wake up

i even felt the same way when my son died i wanted to go to sleep and never wake up
does that mean i was suicidal ? or just feeling ultra low ?

i personally think it was ultra low and i had to work hard to pick myself up again and some days i can still get ultra low and i have to push to even walk out the front door at times but once i have made that push i feel better for doing it.