Notices

30 days sober and mind is a fog

Old 08-03-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days sober and mind is a fog

Hey everyone,
It's been awhile since I have been on here. Have been fighting quitting drinking for 7 months now. The last 4 I have had momentary relapses (1 day of drinking every few weeks) and am now sober for a month. The first couple weeks in this last month went great. Since then I have been in a bit of a fog, somewhat depressed and constantly anxious and out of it. I notice EVERYTHING that goes on with my body. I run a very successful business and am constantly busy but have so much trouble concentrating and staying on task. This is the final time for quitting, as I Have to to keep my wife and my families support. I have been battling this almost entirely on my own, saw a few counselor and was not a fan of AA (attended for 3 months straight) Anyway I am wanting to feel normal!! I have too much going on to be slipping up with anxious decisions whether it be business or personal. Any advice would be spectacular. Thanks and I hope to one day give back to this great forum
Old 08-03-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Go see your doctor. Lay the whole thing out honestly. See what they say.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

countrystrong, you are giving back to the forum. By posting, even if it is a question about what to do, it helps others. We know we are not alone in what is happening. I'm sure others are or have dealt with this exact same thing. Keep on sharing. It's what we do.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me a couple of months for my mind to be noticeably clearer, as you describe a sort of fog being there all the time!!

It all eased with time, but if your especially concerned with anything, check in with a Dr to be safe!!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
gluelicker.

Depending on how long you drank/how much so, you'll be in a fog for a minute but definitely see a doctor. You need to know the state of your health. No matter what.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

I tried a couple of times to quit drinking on my own.
Couldn't last more than a couple of days.
Well done. A month -- doing it your way.
I had to have the help and support offered by AA.
But, any face to face help is preferable to none at all.
I echo the advice of others: Go and see your doctor . . .
and be honest (not that you wouldn't be, but it's important enough for me to mention).
Mind how you go.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your recent success! I completely understand your frustration with the "brain fog." I have been experiencing this myself, off and on, since I stopped.

It isn't unusual for people to have trouble concentrating and staying focused. It's actually pretty normal. It might make you feel better to see a physician and have a work-up, but honestly I just encourage you to soldier through it. Little can be done except to stay sober and do the best we can.

You may want to read up on post acute withdrawal syndrome. It may help to explain some of the issues you are dealing with and there is a lot of information on how to cope (mostly good sleep, diet and mild exercise.)

I have struggled with this issue myself (also complicated by apathy and a lack of motivation) so I definitely understand.

Best wishes
Old 08-05-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It will get better congrats
Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My mind was in a horrible fog the first month or two. I remember thinking, when I was at work, if this does not ever get better, then I won't be able to function at my job!!
But fortunately it gets better!!! It is very common also.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was in a fog for at least two months ...... just don't drink today and it will get better. It's normal to feel foggy for a while.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Country, I am at day 35 and this whole month I have been out of it. Depressed, lethargic and major brain fog. I was really having trouble retrieving words and my sentences were very halting as I tried to string my thoughts together. It has just been in the last few days that it is getting a little better-a little bit at a time. At this rate of progress I might just feel ok in another month! Are you getting any exercise? I have been exercising pretty consistently since quitting, I figure it will only help. Best of luck to you and hang in there! If people are noticing that you aren't exactly yourself claim its migrains or medications. It will get better.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Please see a doctor and be completely honest your struggles with alcohol. You need help and you can't do this on your own. I tried to quit so many times on my own it was ridiculous. When I got help, I stayed sober. Simple as that.

AA provided the support I needed to stay sober. I couldn't talk to anyone else about my drinking problem because I was too embarrassed. In AA I made friends with a lot of people. So many people understood my problem and helped me beyond belief.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I was first quitting drinking, I noticed brain fog as well. I ended up supplementing with some CDP choline, since I was planning on turning over a new leaf in terms of my health and life style. I stopped taking SSRI's and anti-depressants and replaced them with a SSRE called Tianeptine (Stablon) after tapering off of the SSRI.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I found exercise to improve my concentration and clear things up with my mind when I first got sober. It still helps me in the same way to this very day. It just took some time to get into a regular routine and for the initial fogginess to go away.