One Year & Under Club Part 35

Last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-34-a-20.html

D
Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!

The early bird catches the worm!

Aly and Rick, it is wonderful to see you. Rick, I'm so glad you're going to meetings again. You sound like you're in a very solid and healthy place.

Courage, I am sorry that your husband is still feeling so ill. I'm glad you're there for him.

I hope your legal issue goes away soon.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

You beat me to shotgun Gilmer!

However, seeing your post's timestamp means I'm not unhappy to be in the backseat.

Morning everyone. Had some real interesting experiences yesterday that I'll share if I have time.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Courage!
Thanks Aly! It's nice to see you here.

Sober1ck - you can learn from your past without letting remorse hold you hostage. "If only's" will hold you back from achieving what you want. Keep looking forward.

I had a great 5 month day. My husband didn't mark it with so much as a "way to go", and while I hoped he would, and told him the day was coming up, I didn't expect him to. I'm disappointed with him, but it didn't ruin my day, or even put a dent in my ability to appreciate it. It was truly my favorite kind of day - full but not hectic, and amply social. I have a nice day in store for me today, too. Nothing "exciting" - just doing stuff that I enjoy with people who I like. That's where I'm going with my sobriety - choosing to do things that fill me up, just right.

Have a good one undies!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences, Sparky!!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Thanks Courage!
Thanks Aly! It's nice to see you here.

Sober1ck - you can learn from your past without letting remorse hold you hostage. "If only's" will hold you back from achieving what you want. Keep looking forward.

I had a great 5 month day.
Congrats from 5 months! And thanks for the encouragement
Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Morning Undies,

Oops, a belated congrats on the 5 months sober, Glee!! Keep on keepin on, 19!

Courage, good to see you dropping by. My best to you with your current challenges.

Ali, great to see you too. Glad that you have returned. We missed you also.

Gracette, I remember telling a friend after we finished golfing one day last fall that I was cool with heading into the clubhouse for a bite and taking a day off from AA. My MO was to finish golf on Friday in time for a mtg down the street from the course. He has a son in recovery and said, "you are treating your recovery like a job." It hadn't dawned on me till that moment, but, that was exactly what I was doing. AA and SR every day combined with weekly therapy in the first many months. Recovery had become a job of sorts. Recently I've felt comfortable cutting back some, but recovery remains my number 1 priority every day.

G-billy, so what up with those chompers?

Siesta, haha, the Seinfeld gang certainly depicted my idea of serenity for many years. It was something like my old fox-hole prayers.

Dee, I hope things are getting sorted out for you.

Well, they are about to turn my electric off for repairs for a couple hours so I need to wrap this post up.

Hi to Else, Drake, Toots, Tanja, SJ, Babs, North, SMS, SB1 and that trendy lookin plummer, oops, I mean drummer girl with all those new duds.

Here is the knock on the door...bye electricty...

Carlos xx
Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Woke up at 4AM and couldn't go back to sleep so took my dog down to the beach around 5ish when it started getting a little light. Lots of boats going out this morning. I heard the fishing has been killer off of Mexico! Today's the best my back has felt so far, not feeling pain yet. Def glad I'm sober bc if I was still drinking I would be stumbling around not worried about my health or injuries ect and probably downing pain killers as well.

Have a good day undies
Old 07-24-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, story #1:

So I go looking for some better quality NA beer yesterday (for golf night), as the grocery store stuff is pretty foul. Well, guess what. Other than a NA version of a regular Canadian lager, and a NA version of an American lager, there's nothing else to be found. As a big fan of European beers (especially Bitters aka Ale), the grocery store selections pretty much suck.

So in Manitoba, all the liquor stores are government owned (no private liquor sales), so for me to go buy good quality NA beef, I had to go to the liquor store.

Wow.

The second I walked in the door, I could smell great yeasty, beery smells (they must deliberately drop one case per week). Since my wife was away for the day, my AV suggested this might be the perfect time for me to fall off the wagon. And of course, lots of different beers were on sale, including my personal favorite, Old Speckled Hen.

So I grabbed three bottles each of the two (yes two) types of NA beer they sold (a German Pils and a German Weiss), paid for them and left.

More so than any other point in my sobriety journey did I find this this the worst temptation I have faced. Yesterday had the perfect grouping of qualities to make me want to drink. Golfing, nice warm weather, wife away, liquor store, and as mentioned elsewhere, I felt really great for the first time since quitting drinking yesterday!

And I left the liquor store with 6 NA beer, a feeling of frustration, yet also a feeling of pride. As each day passes by, and that number of days continues to climb, I feel I have more to lose by taking that first drink. And I can tell you, that I as am the one saying "no" to myself, my AV is having difficulty in lashing out and acting like a spoiled child. Because he is me.

But seriously, the only place to buy good NA beer is a liquor store? What a pile of steaming dog crap.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
Woke up at 4AM and couldn't go back to sleep so took my dog down to the beach around 5ish when it started getting a little light. Lots of boats going out this morning. I heard the fishing has been killer off of Mexico! Today's the best my back has felt so far, not feeling pain yet. Def glad I'm sober bc if I was still drinking I would be stumbling around not worried about my health or injuries ect and probably downing pain killers as well.

Have a good day undies
Glad to hear the back is feeling better.

Back pain sucks. That is all.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I had a great 5 month day. My husband didn't mark it with so much as a "way to go", and while I hoped he would, and told him the day was coming up, I didn't expect him to. I'm disappointed with him, but it didn't ruin my day, or even put a dent in my ability to appreciate it.
Congrats GF, and glad to hear you hit another milestone.

Unfortunately, for those who are not charmed by demon alcohol, they do not understand how difficult this addiction is to overcome. To them, drinking is a choice, and a real easy one. For us, it is not.

So to someone who hasn't been addicted themselves, they view celebrating a sober anniversary like celebrating not doing something we're not supposed to be doing anyways.

"Congratulations! Its been 6 months since you tried to kill me!"

"Celebrating 3 weeks of not lighting the neighbor's shed on fire"

"Indecent exposure-free for 21 days!"

I think back to all the times my wife wondered if I'd be dead in a drunk driving crash, or something else equally horrible, and compare that to how I'd feel if she didn't recognize my sober anniversaries. There is no way to compare the two, and I have to face that in owning up to my addiction. Her lack of celebration isn't punishment - she is just choosing not to celebrate me acting like a regular person. It sounds a bit harsh, but I can understand this.

So for me, my sobriety is something for me to celebrate with my friends at SR who understand the difficulty in this. If I expect my wife to celebrate as much as my fellow addicted do, then I only set myself up for disappointment.

So GF, from me to you:

Way to go girl. I know how hard this is myself, and you should be very proud.

I'd mail you some cake, but you probably wouldn't want it by the time it got there.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I so appreciate it. I'm still reading (in between doing laundry this morning). Good to hear from my old friends....
Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sparky- There ARE other things to drink than beer. And a lot of them actually taste better than beer does. You might consider trying some other beverages- soda, tea, coffee, milk, juice, gatorade, of good old fashioned water. Also, plenty of ways to get fancy if you want with virgin mixed drinks. Soda water with ice and a slice of lemon, or Carlos is always talking about his fave- the Arnold Palmer. Personally, I've taken to drinking juice mixed with soda water lately. Or mix up a nice smoothie with some frozen fruit, yogurt and milk in the blender. There are a million great options that don't involve liquor stores or even the beer isle at the grocery store.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was just curt with my dad.

He was pouncing on me at 8 am to take him to McDonalds, but I was meeting a friend at IHOP for breakfast at 9. I couldn't explain it to him because he's stone deaf, and my husband hates when I wake him up yelling in the morning. So I told my dad we'd go when I got back.

I walked in the door at 10:30. I went into the bathroom (and locked the door). Immediately I heard his footsteps heading toward the living room, ready to go. I can't even go to the bathroom for two minutes without him hovering over me like a vulture.

I told Toots in a PM that he chases me all over the house. She said it reminded her of a Benny Hill skit--except it's not funny! It drives me nuts!

Most days I can handle it and remain genuinely cheerful, but today I just snapped at him. I figure we'll stay here at McDonald's for an hour, then I'll go home and take a fast shower. When I get out, we'll rush right over to the ear, nose and throat doctor to check him out (he went to the ER with a nosebleed on Saturday).

When we get through there, I'll take him to buy his new hearing aid--then I'll drop him off at home. Then I run out to get a second opinion on my painful tooth.

I'm not anticipating a Tahitian-paradise-style evening, either. Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Sorry to dump.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, Aly! Seeing you here is a bright spot!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys, for providing a place where I can vent!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Sorry to dump.
Dumping is better than drinking.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Very true. It did not even occur to me to drink! There is real progress! Thanks, Sparky!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys,

So much going on here right now, it's great to see so many of you encouraging and supporting each other here.

Congratulations on 5 months Gleefan, you have and continue to work hard at ensuring your recovery is going to work long term. I am sorry your husband wasn't man enough to make a deal of you sobriety, but you well know that it is his issue, not yours. Be proud of yourself. After all, you didn't quit for him so although his encouragement would be wonderful, it isn't everything. Keep doing what you are doing sweetie, I for one am very proud to be a part of your life.

Sparky, great to see you have found a comfy chair in the Undie club and are fast giving it a butt crease of your own! I love you contributions to the limerick thread too. If you have some time to while away, look back over some of those earlier threads, we all found poetry great therapy. I don't write so much there these days.

Gracette, glad to see you back and doing so well in recovery!

Alysheba good to see you popping in here too, other than laundry, what else have you been up to?

Elsie, I am so envious of your summer rides with India, but so glad you are feeling some precious moments of pure contentment.

Gilmer, sorry you are having a fraught day sweetie, I'm glad you know to dump here, offloading is such a release. You will be back in good humour soon enough. Does your dentist have an assistant called cheech?

BeFree, I am glad your back is continuing to improve, did you find an AA meeting yet? Please don't forget.

MB, glad you finally sold the car, one less concern. How is day to day life with you?

DG, I agree about the variety of A-free drinks. I did consider A- free beer at first, but someone told me it isn't completely A-free, there is a small amount of alcohol in it, also I was concerned my brain would still associate it as me still drinking. I pretty much now just drink club soda, about 3 litres a day just now in this heat!

Sober1ck, stick around hon, you seem to get benefit from support here when you do take part in the thread.

Babs great to see you. How are you doing??

SJ, how are you doing?

Hi Carlos, how's life with you?

Courage, I hope hubby is ok? ((((Hugs))))

Siesta, I could do with some serenity just now! Have you spoken to your neighbour yet?

Tanya how are you feeling now? I hope you are improving and able to attend your meetings.

There has been so much going on here that I am sure I have missed someone out, so my apologies. You are all in my thoughts as I read the posts, I just don't have time today to go back over the last four pages!

Be strong, be safe, be sober
Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I knocked out all the steps of my personal hygiene routine, so I feel better now. Ready to face the afternoon!