Notices

Checked out and looking to check back in

Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checked out and looking to check back in

The lights are on but no one is home. Been struggling to accomplish tasks. Been withdrawn and inattentive. My motivation levels are down. Everyday has become like groundhog day just going through the motions. I am wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and how to cure this. I just switch from Zoloft to Lexapro so i hope this can help. Everyone I talk to seems to think I am flat. No as outgoing at all since I quite drinking.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hope that helps. I just started taking Bupropion to help me quit drinking. I have those flat moments with it.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Recovery is a lot of work. Quitting drinking is just the start. Taking prescribed medications can help.

Most importantly for me though was pushing myself through the motions in order to stay motivated, and most of all being around others in recovery so that I was constantly reassuring myself that I wasn't going through life alone.

My life is nothing short of amazing now, but it took constant dedication to recovery and the desire to live a better life to reach this point.

Don't give up hope. It does get better.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Is it flat or is it just something you are not used to, calm? It is hard once the meds kick in you get to do all the work being yourself. It will get better if you keep moving. My RXAA BPD sister is having trouble with the motivation part, but she is not mean so for me. She just went from Lexapro to Viibryd 3 weeks ago.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Since you are dual-diagnosis it is hard to ascertain whether the emotional flatness is caused by the withdrawal of alcohol or anhedonia (inability to experience pleasure) a common side effect of psych medications. Zoloft can be one of the worst offenders in this area, unfortunately. How long were you taking it?

Lexapro has an extremely quick onset of action so you should know fairly soon.

If you continue to have this issue, discuss with your doctor. Perhaps an AD that affects a neurotransmitter other than serotonin might be helpful.

SNRI's, in particular bupropion, can be very effective in alleviating anhedonia. Be careful, however, they can exacerbate anxiety.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your thoughts.
I felt that Zoloft was not doing much after 3 years. I have become more space minded and unfocused since I quote drinking. I have been inactive at work and at home. I work a crazy schedule gone for 23 days working 12 hour days. I like traveling but missing my children grow up. Stuck in a rough spot financially so I am unable to get of the road now. My flatness appears to be from sobriety. Less depressed and anxious but lost at night without my go to alcohol. My family has had a stressful 6 months with my child having surgery, a new baby and financial issues. Alcohol would make life easier to handle but its not my answer anymore. Been trying to journal lately and find new passions. I am determined to get my fire lit again. I am not depressed but overwhelmed. I appreciate any additional guidance you can provide.
Thanks