Notices

SAMe for depression

Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SAMe for depression

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the over the counter supplement SAMe for treating depression, and what your personal experiences may have been with it.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As a matter of fact, both my recovering AH and I have used SAMe. Hubby still uses it & it seems to help him. He had tried prescription anti-D's in the past & the side effects were horrible, including a scary episode with "serotonin crisis".

SAMe is actually prescribed & used extensively in countries that aren't owned by pharmaceutical companies, & there is a lot of literature out there on it--do your own research. Personal experience--it helps with milder depression & anxiety with no negative side effects. It is a natural compound that is in our bodies. My research has shown that as with any herbal/natural supplement, make sure you get a reliable brand. My hubby takes 400 mg once a day now. It is a little difficult with dosing; you aren't supposed to take it with food, 2 hours before a meal is best if I remember correctly. Also, DO NOT take it if on prescription SSRI's (paxil, Effexor, etc.)

On a side note, I also experienced a decrease in joint pain when taking it! Maybe just a placebo effect, but definitely a positive one.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I took it for about 3 months in conjunction with 5HTP and magnesium, and it didn't make a scrap of difference. Worth a shot though. Everyone has different experiences with these things.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

On Wikipedia (I know, I know), it says that SAMe could help with depression, but it could cause excitability (anxiety) in people that could be prone to anxiety.

It also says that SAMe needs to be taken with a B-vitamin complex in order to avoid potential side effects. It is apparently used in countries like Russia, India, and parts of Europe as a treatment for depression.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you been taking Vitamin D?

Taking 2,000iu a day literally changed my life. I no longer suffer from the lifelong depression and seasonal depression I had. It was like a switch was flipped. You can get your D levels checked, but the upper limit is something like 40,000iu a day so you aren't going to get too much of it at over the counter doses. I started at 4,000iu a day and after a year of that cut back to 2,000iu a day.

Exercise and a healthy diet also did a lot for my mood/anxiety/depression.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been taking 800 mg. off and on for years. I always noticed a difference when I went off it (Always a bad idea but saved money). Half an hour before eating on an empty stomache. Anything less than 600mg. and it doesn't seem to help me much.

I also read it's sometimes not good for someone with bipolar disorder, and sometimes not good with anti-depressants. From what I've read it's extremely healthy and good for the liver....Hope this helps but keep researching.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raul88 View Post
On Wikipedia (I know, I know), it says that SAMe could help with depression, but it could cause excitability (anxiety) in people that could be prone to anxiety.
I had panic attacks for the week I took it. I stopped taking it and eventually calmed down.

I do have a bit of "new drug phobia," so SAMe might not be to blame entirely. Still, use the same precautions you would use for a prescription drug. DON'T mix it with other antidepressants, as others have already said, and be very careful if you are prone to mania or other excitable states.