Notices

Medication and some of my motivation

Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medication and some of my motivation

I have tried quite a few medications over the years for my mental health issues. I'm on a few right now. They all say to not drink with them. However, I did drink with them and for a long time. Due to that, I feel they didn't work that well or even at all. I was not helping anything by drinking.

Something worse happened recently. One pill I was taking had a rare side effect of a movement disorder. I read alcohol can make it worse and come sooner. It started happening to me. I feel really freaked out by this. Its possible it won't go away. The doctor took me off that pill and gave me something else. The next time I see him, that other one might be changed again.

So, this is part of what is motivating me to quit drinking for good. It is a struggle. The movement disorder was appearing to be getting better yesterday and what did I do? I went out, got drinks, drank 2 and tossed 4. None left. Then the movement thing became worse again. I really regret what I did yesterday. However today is a new day.

I truly am hoping that once I have some sober time, the medications will work better and that I will feel better too. Also I hope the movement disorder goes away. Its so embarrassing.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by freedragonfly View Post
They all say to not drink with them. However, I did drink with them and for a long time. Due to that, I feel they didn't work that well or even at all. I was not helping anything by drinking.
I ignored those warnings for years so I do understand how easy it is for us to do what we're specifically told not to do. I also had similar results, bad side effects because I chose to drink while taking them.

9 years of sobriety has shown me that antidepressants and other medications can work quite well if "taken as prescribed". That's what they're designed to do but of course I had the attitude of "well that probably won't happen to me".

Please work closely with your doctor and try to practice a program of recovery. I've found that if I do what is suggested I have a much healthier life, without the embarrassing side effects that are the direct result of ignoring a warning label.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

not sure that i know what you mean by "movement" disorder? can you explain the side effect?
I always complained that SSRI's did not work on me, although I failed to connect with the fact that I was drinking a six pack a day most of the time. just my experience. i thought we weren't supposed to discuss "drugs" on here?
what cracks me up are the drug commercials - sheesh - who would take that stuff with all the "potential" side effects. maybe we are all a bunch of hypos?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by azbluesgal View Post
not sure that i know what you mean by "movement" disorder? can you explain the side effect?
I always complained that SSRI's did not work on me, although I failed to connect with the fact that I was drinking a six pack a day most of the time. just my experience. i thought we weren't supposed to discuss "drugs" on here?
what cracks me up are the drug commercials - sheesh - who would take that stuff with all the "potential" side effects. maybe we are all a bunch of hypos?
well, I have several mental health problems beyond just depression. The side effect is from an atypical anti-psychotic they were giving me for quite some time. The side effect is supposed to be rare I think. But something is wrong with me. I did some research and somewhere it said alcohol can make that side effect worse or happen in a more likely way. And I was drinking and taking that drug for five years. Its not an addictive drug.

I am not taking that drug now. I am however taking another similar one but its supposed to do the side effect less. Really its probably just for two weeks until I see the psychiatrist again. After two days of not drinking, I thought it was getting a little better. But then I went out and got drinks so it went back to being worse again. Its day two again. I am really pretty much very upset about this and very worried. It is something that could possibly never go away.

The symptoms of it are that I have some involuntary movements of my mouth. Its not severe yet and if I concentrate, I can make it do it less. The involuntary movements are sucking in on my cheeks, slight chewing motions, tongue moving around too much but staying in my mouth, and clenching my teeth together. also a little teeth grinding.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I am on a anti-psychotic that has exactly the same side effect. My doc told me it was rare too but had an RN tell me that it was quite common. She told me the effect was related to dosage and the length of time taking the medication. She called it tardive dyskinesia. NIH has a web page with good information on it.

Good luck on getting with getting a handle on the drinking. I was drinking vodka 24/7, almost never knew what day it was and would get out of bed @ 7:00 get dressed for the day then discover that the sun was going down not up! I was in terrible shape, thought I could never quit but I hooked up with AA folks, took their suggestions and have been sober for 6 1/2 years now. You can do it too! I just love being sober.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yeah that is what it is. stopped the one medication. its getting better slowly. still taking another related pill but hope to stop that one too once I see the doc soon. I looked stuff up, and drinking makes it worse. with the one that caused the problem, I was on a high dose for 5 years.