Notices

first antidepressant experience - cymbalta

Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first antidepressant experience - cymbalta

I think probably I'm suffering from what you might call an "adjustment disorder with anxiety and depressed mood." My problem list on my medical chart says "chronic mood disorder." I think I might just be depressed because I'm one year sober and getting separated. Too many feelings (including bad ones) and some really difficult things going on.

Ruminative thoughts, obsessive thinking, poor self-esteem, quick to anger, poor concentration. Doctor prescribed me cymbalta, 30 mg. daily dose. Pretty small starting dose from what I understand.

What am I in for? Anyone else have experiences they can share?

-DrS
Old 05-17-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Didnt use any. Alcohol was my antidepresant for years. Its normal hawn stres when quuit
Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read carefully the side effects: my good friend suffered a rare one, seratonin syndrome, and nearly died from Cymbalta. She was misdiagnosed.

You probably won't have that problem, but just be knowledgeable.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you have a possible mood disorder, be veeery careful and aware while taking ADs. They can shoot you in to a manic state if used without a stabilizer and it's scary. That's how I found out I was bipolar. Otherwise, you probably won't see a difference for a couple weeks, or until your dosage changes. Side effects vary for everyone and I've never taken Cymbalta so I can't help there. Unfortunately often the only way to figure this stuff out is by trial and error, guinea pigging you with different medication and seeing how you react to it.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What Doctor prescribed? A General practitioner or a Psychiatrist?

I do not recommend taking and psyche meds prescribed by anyone other than a psychiatrist. AD are highly prescribed mostly by doctors that have no business doing it. I am curious about "chronic mood disorder" And why you would be prescribed cymbalta for it.

My husband took cymbalta for depression and it made him nutty as a fruitcake. As it turns out he wasn't depressed he was bipolar. Cymbalta was prescribed by a GP.

Anywho…..if you have seen a psych then you should b fine and many people are helped by that med.