Notices

Citalopram (Celexa) Experiences

Old 04-25-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Citalopram (Celexa) Experiences

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has experience of taking Citalopram for a long period of time (years)? I've been on it now for almost 6 years (with a failed break of about 9 months in the middle before starting up again). I have a long history of anxiety and depression.

I was on 20mg up until about a year ago when I felt the tablets were no longer working in the same way for me and I felt just a little bit numb to everything. The GP upped my dosage to 30 mg and that seemed to help things for a while but for the past few months have just been feeling really futile and after starting a new job a couple of months ago I ended up taking an overdose of some other prescription medication last week.

I'm starting to wonder where the symptoms of my anxiety/depression end and the side effects of Citalopram start. Some symptoms I've had since starting to take Citalopram include feeling distant - like being in a bubble, futile feelings that everything is a bit pointless, about 9 pound weight gain, sensitivity to alcohol (not an issue now!), general aches and pains, constant tiredness, sensitivity to touch and sound.

On the other hand Citalopram has done wonders for my general anxiety in social situations, it mostly prevents my cycling thoughts and allows me to sleep and stops the feelings of just wanting to curl up in bed and not do anything.

I guess I'm not sure whether I should try to change medication. I've tried to talk to my GP about it but although he is good he doesn't seem that interested in engaging in a discussion about the effects of the medication itself and has left it up to me about whether I want to change tablets.

If anyone could share their experiences of Citalopram and other medications that would be great. I'm NOT asking for MEDICAL ADVICE but just an idea of other people's experiences that might be useful for when I next go to my GP to discuss this.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It worked for me for awhile until it didn't. I did not have those side effects and that would be enough for me to switch antids.

Maybe ask about SNRIs instead of SSRIs?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Live. Definitely going to have a discussion with my doc about it next time I'm there.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I had a good improvement changing from Citalopram to Escitalopram. Do some research first.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Have you thought about seeing a psychiatrist instead of a GP? Or even a mental health nurse practitioner? In my experience, GPs don't have much knowledge when it comes to psychotropics, this may be why he/she is reluctant to talk with you about the actual effects of the medications. I started with a MHNP, and they were drawing me diagrams and stuff on how serotonin works and all this extra knowledge that I actually found helpful. Just a thought. I hope you find a medication that works for you. I had the same experience with Citalopram only a lot more short term. It worked for about 8 months, then the effect dropped off.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi JustAYak. Yea I definitely want to see a psychiatrist if I can. I've been referred to the Primary Mental Health Care team for an assessment. However, at the moment the first appointment available is 19th June. I've asked my GP to intervene to try and get this brought forward given the urgency of my situation. Otherwise, I'm considering paying for a consultation so I don't have to wait but I know that can be expensive.