# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of April 2014 Part 4

Last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-22.html

D
Old 04-24-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Joining new thread, doing much better today. Hang in there everyone! Thinking about this place all day
Old 04-24-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

Just checking in- hope everyones doing good today. I'm hangin' in there- day 15!

Have a safe, happy weekend- be good to you ❤️
Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Caught up on the old thread now

Originally Posted by Adnamaeel View Post
The woman I referred to last week as the walking cautionary tale melting down in my front yard was admitted to the ICU today with a stomach full of blood. She's been abusing painkillers for more than 30 years, and it just caught up with her. It's not a surprise to anyone. I do feel bad for her, though she's made her choices. she must be scared.
And still, and here's a look into my twisted mind, I can't stop from thinking that I guess she's a prone cautionary tale now. What's wrong with me?
Nothing much that I can see Adna

I don't like reducing other addicts and alcoholics tragedies to cautionary tales for my own benefit either...there must be an enormous amount of pain and fear - and a *story* there...

I think simply reducing it to a cautionary tale can trivialise all that.

That being said, we're human and human reactions are not always laudatory.

You're looking after yourself and your own recovery - I'd expect no less, especially at this point.

Later you may be able to help this woman, or others like her, I'm sure.

I found that once I felt secure in my recovery I was able to look past the cautionary tale and see the person behind that

D
Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, Adna. I haven't posted for a while because I feel like I've set too high a hurdle for myself. While I genuinely care about the people behind the posts on SR, I also feel like if I can't address everyone personally, I'll hurt somebody's feelings. And sometimes I click on posts that are very troublesome to me and it triggers so much of my own crap I can't be present for others.

Don't know if this makes any sense, but I DO know that part of the recovery plan I've put in place for myself is to post here, so that's what I'm doing right now, even tho I don't feel like doing it. And it's helping... go figure.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

MsOkra,
glad you posted. ...it's ( for sure ) tough for me to address everyone also, but I trust we all understand. I was thinking about you , along with the posts today , and last night. I was wrung out last night, ...just able to read.

you take care.

.....dirty hippie
Old 04-24-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, jock
Old 04-24-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I found that once I felt secure in my recovery I was able to look past the cautionary tale and see the person behind that
D
I do see the person behind the tale, and the story is heartbreaking from her childhood all the way through her dead husband and murdered son. She's never had it easy. I presented her here in a purely one dimensional light, but I do see her in three.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by lovemesomeokra View Post
Thanks for the post, Adna. I haven't posted for a while because I feel like I've set too high a hurdle for myself. While I genuinely care about the people behind the posts on SR, I also feel like if I can't address everyone personally, I'll hurt somebody's feelings. And sometimes I click on posts that are very troublesome to me and it triggers so much of my own crap I can't be present for others.

Don't know if this makes any sense, but I DO know that part of the recovery plan I've put in place for myself is to post here, so that's what I'm doing right now, even tho I don't feel like doing it. And it's helping... go figure.
I would hope people would understand but is they don't you know what they say, can't please all of the people all of the time.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

::hugs:: hope everyone is good....
I'm extremely more stable today, def hearing a reading stuff about controlling and owning my emotions and it really helped.
De, I started the books and I can already see what your saying! I'm excited to read more.
Stay strong everyone <3
Old 04-24-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Adnamaeel View Post
I do see the person behind the tale, and the story is heartbreaking from her childhood all the way through her dead husband and murdered son. She's never had it easy. I presented her here in a purely one dimensional light, but I do see her in three.
I tried hard, but apologies for missing your point then Adna
I guess I really don't know whats wrong with you

you seem to be ticking all the right boxes as far as I'm concerned?
D
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

D
It was my bitchy comment at the end, thinking of her as a prone cautionary tale as opposed to a walking one. Sometimes I'm nasty and nice simultaneously. No need to apologize, I appreciate the response.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

D
ummmm, if you did I don't think you'd be as effective as you are, Dee, and imo you are amazingly effective, tyvm . (catch the emphasis there?)

I don't know what's wrong with ME much less anybody else. I have a feeling that one of the keys to recovery is figuring out what's RIGHT with me.. and everyone else
Old 04-24-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey all!

ST, glad you're feeling more stable. Okra, feel free to post whatever you like - we're here for you as much as you are for us. I doubt there's any judgment round these parts

I was thinking about how those of us who started at the beginning of the month seem to be traveling together through different phases...start, then a couple relapses, then getting a little time under our belt, then feeling emotionally squirrelly, and then starting to even out. I wonder if this is how every class goes? Dee, what are your observations?

Today I'm feeling better. I still got that 3pm urge though....sitting at my desk, mind wandering and wondering about decompressing with some drinks tonight. Those thoughts usually come mid-afternoon when my energy level is the lowest and I'm feeling mentally drained. There has to be a connection, right? Thankfully, I'm over it by the time I head home.

I hope everyone is doing well! Day 1 or Day 24, just keep going!!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DancingDiva View Post
Hey all! ST, glad you're feeling more stable. Okra, feel free to post whatever you like - we're here for you as much as you are for us. I doubt there's any judgment round these parts I was thinking about how those of us who started at the beginning of the month seem to be traveling together through different phases...start, then a couple relapses, then getting a little time under our belt, then feeling emotionally squirrelly, and then starting to even out. I wonder if this is how every class goes? Dee, what are your observations? Today I'm feeling better. I still got that 3pm urge though....sitting at my desk, mind wandering and wondering about decompressing with some drinks tonight. Those thoughts usually come mid-afternoon when my energy level is the lowest and I'm feeling mentally drained. There has to be a connection, right? Thankfully, I'm over it by the time I head home. I hope everyone is doing well! Day 1 or Day 24, just keep going!!
thanks diva! Glad your feeling ok as well 8)
And absolutely no judgement here, I should know
Old 04-24-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I get the same thing, Diva. Mid-afternoon is REALLY hard for me. In a perfect world I could take a nap every day from 2-4, but the world's not perfect.. or maybe it is and I'm just learning how to live in a perfect world??

Who knows? I sure don't but I sure am glad to be here with people who "get" me in a way I don't feel AT ALL free with sharing elsewhere. Wishing you sweet dreams tonight.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Heading up to bed on night 2. 10 PM
Last night I didn't sleep great and had some vivid dreams but ok otherwise.
Normal for some panic attack type feelings to be surfacing at this point? Mild so far...just hope my body shuts down for sleep at some point.

Thanks all. Hugs.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Here's hoping you get a good nights sleep kat.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovemesomeokra View Post

lovemesomeokra, it makes sense to me. I wish I could keep up with everyone but I just don't have it in me. I hope nobody is too offended.

Made it through another grocery store trip without grabbing any beer. I did somehow come home with a box of Raisinets and some ice cream sandwiches. And a box of Goobers.

Sugar sounds good right now.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Heading up to bed on night 2. 10 PM
Last night I didn't sleep great and had some vivid dreams but ok otherwise.
Normal for some panic attack type feelings to be surfacing at this point? Mild so far...just hope my body shuts down for sleep at some point.

Thanks all. Hugs.
Kat, I was a nervous wreck for the first few days. I don't think it happens to everyone but it sure did to me. It does get better before too long.