Notices

Can not sleep anymore feel like i am losing it!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can not sleep anymore feel like i am losing it!

Okay I have been a binger for years I quit drinking (well attempted to) 10 days ago. I messed up last night and drank. I really think I could have done better this time around and gone longer. I was not even craving it the thing that sent me to the bottle mostly was that I needed sleep. I knew if I drank I would most likely be able to sleep. For the last month I have been sleeping terribly. We live on a very busy street and I have crazy neighbors. For years I blocked out most of the noise with a fan but it broke and I got a new one, and it just did not block out the sound, so then I got another fan and all it does is drive me nuts because it is TOO loud. So now I hear traffic all night and I am now obsessing over it every single night. I really think it is somewhat in my mind. I always obsess over things, I ruminate etc. Since I have not been sleeping I am feeling very emotionally how shall I say it "nuts"! I obsess about my family dying, jobs, money, college, life in general. My poor family has to listen to me talk about the same old stuff over and over. But my biggest problem right now is sleeping. I hate this neighborhood, dogs ands people and cars making noise all night. I like my house and the rent is cheap but I really am considering moving because of this traffic. My husband says if we move we will be poorer than we are now, because we will never get rent as cheap as we do now. He is right, but at the same time I cant live like this anymore. What would you do? I know I need therapy and I plan on going back to my old therapist, he was great but I fear he cant solve my traffic problem. Should we just move and pay bit more rent? Or am I just being crazy. I am afraid this noise and not sleeping is going to hinder any sobriety I have.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thing about drinking and sleep is - you never get a good nights sleep with booze - sure you pass out - but remember the waking suddenly at 3am, bolt upright?

Traffic noise can really bother some people - have you tried earplugs, or sleeping in a different room? Heavier curtains?

Sometimes a little white noise in the room, like a fan, can block outside noise too

If you're having trouble sleeping, and you've tried all of the above suggestions and all the common sense things:
10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

then maybe it's time to see your doctor?

D
Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

to: Need !

just a suggestion.....sounds like you are stressed out enough...a move would probably
create MORE stress..Why not, instead take a day in nature, where it's quiet....
maybe a few birds chirping and some tall trees to listen to, instead of traffic & crazy
neighbors would help you relax, re-energize, bring some peace to your mind.....
a park close by ? Like a state park, quiet and peaceful, and......relaxing ! You could do
it once a week, or more, if it helps !
It helps me to just let go of my worries...and listen to nature...it has a lot to say,
but quietly......

miso & me
Old 04-22-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The nature thing sounds like a good plan. Of course I need to get a babysitter if I want any peace and quiet. lol. I really think I may need medication for sleeping. I hate meds. They always make me worse, well anti depressants at least. Anyway thank u both for your help.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To: NeedTo
I do not sleep one day a week...been going on for years...it's just my pattern.
I can suggest something I have taken which works like dynamite, for me....It's
called (Herbal) Slumber, which is a melatonin with valerian formula.
If I am too awake to sleep a 2nd night in a row, I take one, and I drift off to sleep
in about 10 to 15 minutes ! Check with your doc...should be OK for you to take though,
as it is "natural". What happens to me, is my internal clock gets messed up if I stay up too late, then my natural melatonin levels get screwed up...sitting in front of the light from my computer late at night tells my body it's daylight...so she says "OK, lets start another day" !!!

Me & Miso
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The maker of "Slumber" is Natural Balance.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You may want to taper off caffeine. It releases chemicals hours...6 or more, after consumption.

Herbal tea with chamomile and valerian in the evening helps relax me and is soothing.

And, yes, I would go see my dr before moving house and putting myself in a worse position financially. Just tell him what you have taken before that did not work for you.
There are quite a number of options for sleep meds.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Those little foam earplugs work wonders. You can get a package of like 50 of them for a couple bucks.

They've saved me more than once and they're drug-free.

The alcohol doesn't help you sleep, it just helps you go to sleep/pass out. Like Dee says, that 3AM wakeup (what IS IT with that?) is the worst. If you stay off the alcohol for a month or so your sleep patterns will improve.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cant stand the ear plugs. I tried them last week and I was up half the night feeling like my ears were all stuffed up. That is my problem, focusing on stuff and never getting to bed. I focus on all sounds, feelings etc. Drives me mad. I have been sleeping on the couch now for a few days and I can finally sleep a bit. Anyone here every use those wax ear plugs?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Need.

I used to not be able to sleep without the TV on and it had to be a comedy like Friends, Modern Family or something I'd seen before so I could close my eyes, listen to it and it would lull me into sleep. Needless to say it drove my partner mad when I moved in with him and he finally refused to have the TV on at all as both the light and sound kept him awake. For weeks I lay taking hours to get to sleep from the change of routine and being p*ssed at him for taking away my 'security blanket' for sleeping.

He finally relented a bit and we listen to Podcasts now - something relaxing that lasts 45 mins or an hour and provides a bit of background noise without being too engaging. If I happen to still be awake when it finishes (which isn't that often) then I put on another one. The Podcast finishes shortly after I go to sleep and doesn't wake me up later like the TV used to do. Might be worth a shot.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't sleep good , nor enough myself .

The worst thing you can do is worry about it .

I just figure I get enough ,whatever that is ,

How much sleep are you actually getting ? It might be more than you think .

I have to do 12 hour shifts ,on 4 hours sleep a lot of the time .