Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Sup guys, Xanax from Klonopin situation here- gettin nervous.

Notices

Sup guys, Xanax from Klonopin situation here- gettin nervous.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Wink Sup guys, Xanax from Klonopin situation here- gettin nervous.

I was kind of wondering if anyone ever had to go from Xanax 3mg a day to Klonopin if any of you did these medications for your mind/etc.

That's what I'm forced to do now due to life's issues, I know how Klonopin does not work exactly like Xanax what with effecting the brain's certain sectors and all, just curious on what others did when they had to change from Xanax to Klonopin. Really appreciate any POSITIVE feedback, thank yew.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I do know that Klonopin is longer acting than Xanax, and doctors will switch patients to Klonopin in attempts to slowly taper someone off benzos.

I don't know about either working on different sectors in the brain; benzodiazepines all pretty much work the same way, or at least that's what I've gleaned from my readings.

In my early benzo career, I found the quick onset of Xanax beneficial, but its short half life meant I was dosing frequently. Many doctors shy away from Xanax because the quick onset is a prelude to addiction. My switch to Klonopin didn't do a thing for my addiction, and eventually my dosage was increased to horse tranquilizer level.

Benzos became the bane of my life, and I am duty bound to point out that it is recommended that any benzo only be taken for a short time, like two to four weeks, because they are very addictive and create a withdrawal syndrome that can be hellish. It was for me. That said, I question the veracity of any doctor that would prescribe a benzo long term. Since I've been in recovery, I have seen doctors that swear they never prescribed benzos because of the problems associated with them.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thank you for at least posting, I don't think many know how to talk about this or want to... I'm just kind of stuck right now about this :\ I think 2mg of Klonopin is the equivalent of 1mg of Xanax, but still... I hate having to take more pills >_> yet I'll do what I must do I don't have any feelings of fear/insanity/sweatiness/anxiety attacks, as that's why I'm on them for anti anxiety purposes...
Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The equivalency for benzodiazepines are created in comparisons to Valium, the longest acting benzo there is.

Both Xanax and Klonopin have the same Valium equivalency: 1 milligram of either equals 5 milligrams of Valium.

Klonopin is considered the second longest-acting benzo behind Valium.

Xanax is very quick acting and has the shortest half-life of any benzo, hence it's highly addictive quality.

Are you doing the benzo switch under the care of a doctor? It's hard to find a benzo-wise shrink or MD out there, but they are growing in number.

Google benzos and United Kingdom (rules prevent me from linking to other recovery sites here) and you will find the best benzo tapering and support program going.

I was prescribed 20 milligrams of Klonopin a day and went cold turkey from that dose, so I've spent an inordinate amount of time reading about the buggers.

If you are anything like me, reading the horror stories of people getting off benzos can help you manifest those symptoms. Take it easy, read the horror tales with a grain of salt, and remember that many, many people recover from benzo addiction with nary a problem
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

klonopin time released Xanax isn't
Old 03-27-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I switched from xanax to klonopin voluntarily as I recognized that the short half life of xanax was going to become a problem for me.
Klonopin does not act instantly as xanax does...so one would not want to take it prn for panic, but a scheduled dosing keeps it more steadily in your bloodstream.
Klonopin makes me tired in a way that xanax does not and I have gone off it before for that reason. It's a trade off for me, for now I am accepting that fatigue in exchange for being able to not be paralyzed and my life be very limited by anxiety.
It enhances my well being.
I am not having any problems with it and will no longer only give credence to horror stories about all benzos.
They have their place in some situations, mine happens to be one of them.
So, to answer your question switching from xanax to klonpin was a good move for me.
I did have to find something else to help with sleep since the xanax did that and the klonopin does not.