# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January 2014 Part 8

Continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-7-a-20.html

D
Old 03-25-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 90, can you believe it? The time is flying by in comparison to the first couple of weeks. I have no plans for the day, other than continuing to be thankful to be out of the alcoholic cycle and to continue to safeguard my sobriety so that next year I can post "wow, can you believe we've hit 15 months?"
Old 03-25-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great job odelle. I'm right behind you at 84 days. Although, I don't want to get ahead of myself, it will be nice to still be posting on here next March and beyond.

have a great day everyone..stay strong
Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Odelle, I'm really happy to see you at 90 days and like halfvictory, I look forward to congratulating you next year on your 15 months. I think of you as our class flag bearer and you're a good one.

I'm sore from yesterday's run but it's a good sore. I'm going to take the dog out for a morning walk in a few minutes but I feel like I'm finally at a point where I'm ready to tackle some other things like diet and exercise among other things. 90 days of ONLY focusing on not drinking was the right thing for me, but I need to do some other things now as well. I need to keep moving forward.

I feel wonderfully stable in not drinking right now - what an incredible relief on the heals of a really tough spot around 70 days. It's amazing how you are in the thick of it and then - poof - those episodes are just gone. I'm trying to get into a routine that starts to hardwire my recovery so the support is just there when I need it - SR, AA meetings, my reading, my audiobooks in the car. I'm starting to see that I've really built something for myself over the last 86 days and it is a comfort to me to see the fruits of that labor. I feel proud of what I've done and as I'm sure a lot of you can relate - that's a foreign feeling.

Feeling incredibly grateful this morning. Grateful for where I am, where I've been, where I'm going and who I'm traveling with.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class,
Odelle, Congratulations. You are so happy. That's great and wonderful.

I continue to study the effects of this thing.
One thing I recently learned is that the body has to work on getting rid of the alcohol before it can metabolize real food.
I think that is why I have been so sick so much even though I have eaten well and exercised regularly all these years.
On to new days of clarity and health. YIPPIE!!!!
WG
Old 03-25-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

CONGRATS ODELLE! Happy 90 days to you! I'm at 79 days today so almost there! I've also been focusing most of my first 90 days on just staying sober so that's why I did eat more junk food along the way. I've started a new healthy approach this week that will hopefully translate to a nice permanent healthy lifestyle. When I eat healthy, I tend to be less moody and more myself.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Boy, can I just say I love not being hungover!? Something this morning reminded me of a hangover and the feeling just rushed back all at once! What hell!!

Also, I don't know if any of you remember me talking about how I had to sell my horse because I was just overwhelmed with it all.
Very, very sad. Because looking back it is clear as day that all of that was because I was just too drunk/hungover to take care of her. I literally chose alcohol over my lifes passion.

Well, on the 29th guess what I'm doing? That's right, going to look at a horse. With a clear happy mind. I remember thinking(when I bought my horse last October) "Why am I not feeling as overjoyed as I should??) it was because I was so numbed out and miserable that I couldn't even feel the joy of the experience!

I'm fully expecting a different experience this time around! I would put a smiley here, but there isn't one BIG enough.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It looks like Artic is getting back on the horse after falling off...good for you

Have a good, safe, and sober night class.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations to all hitting milestones here. Day 82 today for me

I can't believe it. Went to my first counselling session today. Work could be working out for me. Went to a meeting tonight.

God, please help me, support me to maintain and strengthen this paradise I am experiencing.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Arctic, I'm so happy for you, that was always a dream of mine, to own a horse. I used to be very artistic and would draw horses constantly as a child. I'm sure whichever horse you choose it is going to be very happy having you as its caretaker. You will bring so much joy to each others lives, what a blessing.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
Boy, can I just say I love not being hungover!? Something this morning reminded me of a hangover and the feeling just rushed back all at once! What hell!!

Also, I don't know if any of you remember me talking about how I had to sell my horse because I was just overwhelmed with it all.
Very, very sad. Because looking back it is clear as day that all of that was because I was just too drunk/hungover to take care of her. I literally chose alcohol over my lifes passion.

Well, on the 29th guess what I'm doing? That's right, going to look at a horse. With a clear happy mind. I remember thinking(when I bought my horse last October) "Why am I not feeling as overjoyed as I should??) it was because I was so numbed out and miserable that I couldn't even feel the joy of the experience!

I'm fully expecting a different experience this time around! I would put a smiley here, but there isn't one BIG enough.
This really lifted me up - I'm so happy for you. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

good morning US class! Godd afternoon/evening to the overseas component.

Had a great night last night and feeling great right now. And it is a great feeling not being hungover as Artic says.

Have a good day
Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good Morning class,
YES not hungover is the best feeling.
We could make it the theme of the day.

I wake up almost giddy when I feel like getting up and doing stuff.
The problem is...what to do first???

WG
Old 03-26-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good morning, all.

Feeling worried, panicky, tired, overwhelmed and under appreciated today. I'm getting ample opportunity lately to work on the part of me that needs the "gold star" from others to feel validated. You know it's bad when you visualize yourself yelling "YOU'RE WELCOME!!!" to multiple people in your daily life (in the absence of their "thank you"). Everyday is a growth opportunity (said only slightly sarcastically). If anything, this feeling reminds me today to thank the people in my life who are helping me, so THANK YOU all.

I have the serenity prayer written on a sticky on the side of my desk that generally only I see. Today my goal is to remember to read it when I feel overwhelmed. And to go running again. Adding health to my life bit by bit will help crowd out the negative. That's the thought anyway.

All this aside, it is wonderful to wake up clear and clean and I'm grateful that I can go through these uncomfortable feelings without the drink obsession. I read this quote this morning in my book of reflection: "Simply be a shore and let your feelings wash across you like waves." I feel very uncomfortable lately, but I FEEL that, honestly and truly, and feeling something without escape doesn't make me break into a million pieces. Who'd have thunk it?

Have a good day/evening depending on where you are everyone.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Odelle - 90 days! That is quite an impressive milestone! Keep it up!

Adee - I am just now starting to break out of a rough patch in my sobriety, was really depressed about things I had no control over. Going to my AA meetings has really helped me as well. Just got done doing step 2 and am now into the chapter of the Big Book - How it Works (Step 3). These readings as well as calling my sponsor really pulled me out of my hole.

Wasgone - I have started eating healthier as well. Well I try anyway. I usually juice fresh fruits and veggies in the morning and eat some whole fruits for mid morning snacks, have a reasonable lunch, then have total junk for dinner...OK...its a work in progress.

SCF - I also feel much better when I am eating healthy all day. Ive spent the first 40 years of my life trying to destroy my body, now Im going to spend the next 40 trying to save it lol.

Arctic - it is so awesome how far you have come, how far we have all come. Congrats on your Horse, You deserve it! Keep on Rollin!

Finnie - Congrats! Keep going to those meetings!

HalfVictory - Congrats on 84 days!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 64 - Been going through a rough patch in my sobriety. Starting to see that when you take the alcohol away from a drunk SoB, you are still left with a SoB. When life used to throw anxieties and stresses in my direction, I used to drink so I could forget, or numb out. Well, life is still throwing all the same ******** at me, now I cant drink to get away from all that. Thats what the AA program has been able to start to give me. A shield to help deflect all that angst and animosity in another direction.

Monday I was in a situation that made me so mad that my whole body was clenched and I wanted to punch somebody right in the face. Was extremely mad. As I was being driven to my next job (license is suspended) I was sitting in the passenger seat just stewing in hate. A picture of my favorite drink of choice popped in my head...and I laughed...even though it kind of scared me, I laughed. Im sure the guy driving me around thought I was crazy. Then I thought about something my sponsor told me that "Resentment is the #1 cause of relapse for recovering alcoholics."

At this point I thought of the Serenity Prayer. Said it over and over in my mind with my eyes closed. Then I asked myself what if anything can I control out of this crappy situation? The answer was simply my reaction to it. The situation was going to happen regardless of what I did, it was out of my control, but I could change my reaction to it. And BOOM...I was no longer mad or resentful...I was just Jon again, and it felt so good. As a person who was always uncomfortable in his own skin, it finally felt good to be me.

Sorry so long! Just wanted to share that.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IreLander View Post
Day 64 - Been going through a rough patch in my sobriety. Starting to see that when you take the alcohol away from a drunk SoB, you are still left with a SoB. When life used to throw anxieties and stresses in my direction, I used to drink so I could forget, or numb out. Well, life is still throwing all the same ******** at me, now I cant drink to get away from all that. Thats what the AA program has been able to start to give me. A shield to help deflect all that angst and animosity in another direction.

Monday I was in a situation that made me so mad that my whole body was clenched and I wanted to punch somebody right in the face. Was extremely mad. As I was being driven to my next job (license is suspended) I was sitting in the passenger seat just stewing in hate. A picture of my favorite drink of choice popped in my head...and I laughed...even though it kind of scared me, I laughed. Im sure the guy driving me around thought I was crazy. Then I thought about something my sponsor told me that "Resentment is the #1 cause of relapse for recovering alcoholics."

At this point I thought of the Serenity Prayer. Said it over and over in my mind with my eyes closed. Then I asked myself what if anything can I control out of this crappy situation? The answer was simply my reaction to it. The situation was going to happen regardless of what I did, it was out of my control, but I could change my reaction to it. And BOOM...I was no longer mad or resentful...I was just Jon again, and it felt so good. As a person who was always uncomfortable in his own skin, it finally felt good to be me.

Sorry so long! Just wanted to share that.
THAT is wonderful.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fantastic post irelander. Thank you.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Class! I have nothing great to add this evening except to have a great and sober night and a great and sober day for UK and beyond.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Miss you guys but have been drinking again so didn't feel right writing, but thinking of you all. Haven't given up hope yet. Well done all of you on your AMAZING milestones! Much love xxx