Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

are there meetings out there for MI similar to AA?

Notices

Old 03-18-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I was wondering if there are weekly or even daily meetings out there for people with dual-diagnosis issues? I'm going out of my mind and feel the need to meet up with people who suffer like I do.

Thank you for any input, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Never mind, I think I found some :-) sorry about the post.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I should warn about this group called "NAMI" National Alliance for Mental Illness they have these meetings to "educate" people about mental illness but are funded by the drug companies to push the use of psychiatric drugs.

They also lobby against any efforts to further patient rights.

I a too lazy to type it all out lets just paste something ,

"When you call things what they are, it’s very clear. NAMI is essentially sponsored by drug companies and what’s true in television and radio certainly holds true in large organizations — Never go against the sponsors. It is the one golden rule that governs all other rules. That’s fine when you’re selling sneakers and dish soap but we’re talking about actual human lives and wellness. It takes a lot of nerve to call your organization a patients’ advocacy group when half to two-thirds of your funding comes from companies that are constantly facing class action lawsuits, federal lawsuits or both for not disclosing adverse findings in clinical trials, lying about known health risks, directly causing death and chemical injury and illegally marketing their most powerful and unpredictable drugs off label. NAMI could hardly be more blatant in aligning their methods with the commercial interests of these companies. If that’s advocating, I’d hate to see their idea of throwing people to the wolves."

source NAMI | Spit, Bristle and Fury

https://www.nami.org/Content/Navigat...stryQ42009.pdf

P.S NAMI is nothing like A.A
Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, I had no idea. Thank you for the heads-up.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yumi View Post
Wow, I had no idea. Thank you for the heads-up.
No problem, I know this stuff unfortunately only because I was treated horribly inpatient, like a sub human and there was a poster on the wall that mentioned human rights, patient bill of rights ect. When my inpatient nightmare was over I looked up "psychiatry human rights" and started reading. One of the things I learned was that "NAMI" is basically the pharmaceutical companies advertizing and lobby division and even lobbies for laws allowing mental patients to be forced to take antipsychotic drugs. The drugs most often prescribed for involuntary patients -- Janssen's Risperdal (risperidone) and Lilly's Zyprexa (olanzapine).

In my case the drugs I objected to were Trileptal , Haldol and way to much Seroquel. I was threatened with an injection in an attempt to coerce the unwanted drug treatment. My reaction to these threats was simply charted as "rapid speech" and "agitation" used as proof I "needed" the medication. My rapid speech included comparing there forced injection idea to rape, "rapidly".

The whole ordeal was like a cheap "wrongly committed" movie that would be played at 3 AM on T.V , I even got a bill for it !!! Almost a month at close to $1000 a day for something I did not want.

Anyway not only does NAMI oppose patient rights, In 2004, NAMI the pharma front opposed the placement of "black box" warnings on antidepressants determined to have caused suicide in under-18 year olds, and in 2006 opposed black box warnings on ADHD drugs causing heart attack, stroke and sudden death in children in 2006. Despite overwhelming evidence of serious adverse cardiac events and sudden deaths caused by ADHD drugs, in 2006 NAMI took the position that the "black box" warning on ADHD drugs was "premature."
Old 03-19-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hospitals have support groups for this...i would think you would have to see if your insurance covers it
Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't have insurance
Old 03-20-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

do you live in the states yumi?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

dual diagnosis? pretty broad term. Man, they got 12 step meetings for just about any issue under the sun. I want to attend a sex-anonymous meeting one day just to check it all out. But I am afraid that its going to be full of court-ordered offenders.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
do you live in the states yumi?
Midwestern state, yes.