Notices

Multiple addictions

Old 03-01-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Multiple addictions

Hoping someone can relate to struggling with multiple addictions or mental health issues simultaneously...I unfortunately struggle with both alcohol and food (including exercise) addictions, to include anxiety issues. I have found that it is especially hard to find someone with these simultaneous addictions, and its also been hard to relate when people talk about how to deal with some of the side effects of not using alcohol. Many times the prescriptions are food, or exercise, and I'm like "well, what the heck!!" The exercise part I can deal with, but when people are like "oh I ate a ton, but at least I'm sober," in my head I certainly cannot rationalize that and I'm like "I CANNOT WIN EITHER WAY"...Kicking one at a time seem to be the only way to go about it but damn, why must I have more than one burden to deal with? Why must my strength and resilience be tested so much?
Hoping for some support. Thanks all.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well FlygirlJ you're not alone. I to am although sober fighting other addictions like food. Heck I am really getting my but kicked by soda's. I've been drinking about 10 pop's a day and it seems worse physically to try and stop than the alcohol did. Keep up the fight.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been fighting the one for 10 years, the other for 3...its like being in a two-on-one fight and unless it turns out I'm the David, my world just feels like it's going to continue to get rocked.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey flygirl.
i'm a schiz who loves to use pot, alcohol, and recently overeating when high...
its extremely tough when you know you've got a serious mental illness without a cure, and its negative symptoms manifest in basically killing your drive and ambition to live, (never had much ambition to begin with, even before my psychotic break). on social assistance because of it, with no end in sight. dropped out of school a few times now that i don't even want to go back.
i sit at home all day basically doing nothing..

i'm 21 now, been doing this since about 2012. i'm coming to the end of my wits. people might think that living on social assistance is easy, but let me tell you, there is nothing worse than having no purpose in this world...

so yeah... i mean, the pot is my main drug. that is what i'm focusing on quitting.

Last edited by mydruggie; 03-02-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 03-03-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Caffeine, I was drinking it like beer for a wile. Same behavior, "just one more" and "I will drink less/stop tomorrow but now I need another cup to feel good a little longer".
Old 03-08-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I pray for the willimgness to just for today make healthy choices for me....take meds correctly, good food choices, 5 fruits and vegs., only 2 cups coffee, walk in my neighborhood 1 mile, or do hand weights or do my yoga moves(1 of the 3), choose healthy,happy friends, go to a meeting or call someone in recovery, read literature, meditate and rest. One day at a time. Be kind. Be aware if I am overreacting or judging.....me or others.....run problems through the steps.......
Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you to. Anorexia, Bulimia, Compulsive over-exerciser, Depression, Panic Disorder, ADHD, Alcoholism, and a bit of BPD

It's overwhelming to say the least and I'm often angry that I've been dealt ALL these cards. But all I can do is do my best with what I have and I am certainly trying. I have no amazing advice but you are no where near alone. I'm happy to talk anytime you would like!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is very common for addicts including alcoholics (they are one in the same, cuz alcohol is a drug) to stop one problem, and start another. I would say eating is one, gambling is another, working out too much is yet another, too much sex would be yet another, the list goes on and on. We like to go overboard, we have to have balance in our lives. We as still having an alcoholic mind, will do things overboard and to excess. We can be cured of an alcoholic mind. If all you do is put the bottle or drug down, then go gamble your house away and think its fine cuz you didnt drink or use. Insanity my friend, complete and utter insanity. Being cured from a hopeless state of mind and body. This is fundamental information.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

A lot of my additions have a common source so dealing with one has uncovered the solution to many. Start with the one that is causing the most problems.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The common source, is the way we think.