Notices

Sleeping Alone

Old 02-07-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Sleeping Alone

I was reading a bunch of studies regarding sleep and how it affects our mental and physical health. There's a definite and STRONG correlation between quality of sleep and psychiatric disorders and disease.

When I "went away" for a lil bit (rehab)- I was feeling really good and productive. My mood improved and I had a lot more energy. Since I've been home, I seem to be dragging a lot. I started to worry about my relationship and whether it's dragging me down. I was worrying about household toxins/mold. I was worrying about chronic fatigue, auto-immune disorders, Lyme disease, getting enough sun. You name it!! All valid concerns- IMO. LOL

I just feel so BLAH every day. Finally, it occured to me, "What if it's my sleep?" I started paying attention, and here's what I noticed:

My husband snores LOUDLY. He jerks his whole body abruptly, all random-like. He rubs his feet on the sheet (wtf is that about? LOL). Basically, he's a really active and heavy sleeper, and I'm a super still/light sleeper. Then we have the dogs. My pit/frenchybull mix... well, he sleeps EXACTLY like my husband. HA!! Then there's the little red dog, and she's pretty good, but is itchy sometimes because of her allergies- and unless the other dog kicks her or gets in her space etc... So, I find myself keeping an ear out for that, as I don't want to wake up to WWIII... When one is quiet the other one is going, and they all take turns keeping me awake.

It's my opinion that I "like" sleeping with them, and that it's "comforting". Is it? Really???

So, we're doing an experiment. I'm sleeping alone to see how it goes. I'm getting over a flu- so I'm not sure if it's working yet. AND I broke down and slept with them last night because I watched scary TV before bed and got all freaked out. LOL

I think this may be the cause of some of my moodiness and lack of motivation. I'm hopeful that sleeping alone will help me get the rest that I need.

I'm still going to set a Dr.'s appointment to rule out any underlying stuff. (I have a history of auto-immune disease and Lyme disease...lucky!) So, we'll see.

Does anyone here think their partner affects their quality of sleep? Do you have to sleep alone? Does it help?

I'll keep you posted on my results!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My exbf snored like a freight train and in self defense I started sleeping downstairs. It helped. Now that we're no longer together I've been sleeping alone (well, with the dogs and cats) for fifteen years and get really good sleep.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

10 to 20% of adults sleep in seperate beds. My parents do that, and I always wondered if that was normal. Now i knw that it is normal, especially when some snoring can be so loud like a 747 taking off. I know this because I slepts in a homeless shelter on a foam mat on the floor for the longest time. I come from the streets. Not Pain and Wastings style, but the street is the street.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thx Matt. I think it's normal. I know it's not the romantic "ideal" that a lot of people have. But, sleep is like eating and breathing- it's necessary to sustain life! Ideals be damned...
Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband does the same things you are saying. He flits around, he snores, his legs twitch, the list goes on. We got a bigger bed and that helped alot. He also figured out he cannot take Benadryl ever or it makes his legs twitch all over the place.

good luck! I think sleep is really important and that you get it all figured out.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG totally... I sleep with a cat and two small white dogs that hog the bed. One has horrible allergies and scratches ALL night. They wake me up multiple times. I am always dragging around and after several nights of no sleep I put them in a kennel and then they cry!
When I travel and sleep in a hotel I sleep through the night and wake up feeling awesome.
Problem is I can't stand the thought of not sleeping with them...crazy I know!