Notices

-/:(

Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

-/:(

Have any of you ever felt like your achievements aren't enough. Trying to get out bed every morning, smile on your face, be polite, motivate your self, control your actions, it's like it's not enough. Not even sure if you are giving it your all because you haven't given your all for such a long time. Don't know how else to explain it ;(
Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by fufu View Post
Have any of you ever felt like your achievements aren't enough. Trying to get out bed every morning, smile on your face, be polite, motivate your self, control your actions, it's like it's not enough. Not even sure if you are giving it your all because you haven't given your all for such a long time. Don't know how else to explain it ;(
Yes, I am now but I am just waiting for it to pass. I see my therapist tomorrow and always feel better afterwards. I'm not like this all the time however. Hope you feel better soon xxxxxx
Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Yes, and I was diagnosed with depression. At the time I was self medicating with alcohol, so the medication prescribed didn't help much. Like KateL I have had counselling which has helped, I still get my ups and downs, but am learning to cope differently now.
Have you seen a doctor about how you are feeling?
Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fufu View Post
Yes I've felt that way, but in reading what you've written I would ask, aren't enough for whom? Are you not satisfied with yourself? Or do you feel that others are not satisfied with what you're doing?

On the one hand, we're our own biggest critics. I could do something nice for someone that I know makes a difference, but if that person doesn't come to me telling me over and over again how amazing it was, I may convince myself it's not enough. Or if I did something for one person I may convince myself it wasn't enough because I couldn't do it for 100.

On the other hand, sometimes we're capable of a lot more than we think we are. I am very grateful for my amazing sponsor who would tell me things like, "That's nice, but you can do better." If I was excited about only being 10 minutes late for work rather than 15+ she'd say, "OK, but why weren't you on time?" It seemed mean at first. I had a list a mile long of reasons I couldn't be on time (for example). My life was hard. I had a whole list of struggles. I told her, "if they only knew what I was dealing with they wouldn't expect so much." She told me, "Even if the world knew, they wouldn't care. We all have our ****." What she did for me was get me out of that victim mindset that I was very deeply embedded in. For me I felt like I was never good enough because I'd convinced myself that I never could be enough because I was so horrible and broken and whatever else. She held me to a higher standard and didn't let me off the hook, until I eventually saw that I could do what was expected of me and often much more. Having people tell me, "It's ok, we understand why you can't do _____" had stopped being helpful because even though they meant well, they reaffirmed for me what I couldn't do. I just needed someone to help me believe in what I could do. I'm not saying that's the case for you because I don't know you. I know that for me it's been a balance of not beating myself up when I don't succeed, but also not letting myself immediately go to "I can't" and making excuses when stuff gets hard.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riverbird View Post
Yes I've felt that way, but in reading what you've written I would ask, aren't enough for whom? Are you not satisfied with yourself? Or do you feel that others are not satisfied with what you're doing? On the one hand, we're our own biggest critics. I could do something nice for someone that I know makes a difference, but if that person doesn't come to me telling me over and over again how amazing it was, I may convince myself it's not enough. Or if I did something for one person I may convince myself it wasn't enough because I couldn't do it for 100. On the other hand, sometimes we're capable of a lot more than we think we are. I am very grateful for my amazing sponsor who would tell me things like, "That's nice, but you can do better." If I was excited about only being 10 minutes late for work rather than 15+ she'd say, "OK, but why weren't you on time?" It seemed mean at first. I had a list a mile long of reasons I couldn't be on time (for example). My life was hard. I had a whole list of struggles. I told her, "if they only knew what I was dealing with they wouldn't expect so much." She told me, "Even if the world knew, they wouldn't care. We all have our ****." What she did for me was get me out of that victim mindset that I was very deeply embedded in. For me I felt like I was never good enough because I'd convinced myself that I never could be enough because I was so horrible and broken and whatever else. She held me to a higher standard and didn't let me off the hook, until I eventually saw that I could do what was expected of me and often much more. Having people tell me, "It's ok, we understand why you can't do _____" had stopped being helpful because even though they meant well, they reaffirmed for me what I couldn't do. I just needed someone to help me believe in what I could do. I'm not saying that's the case for you because I don't know you. I know that for me it's been a balance of not beating myself up when I don't succeed, but also not letting myself immediately go to "I can't" and making excuses when stuff gets hard.
Yes... Thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Yes, and I was diagnosed with depression. At the time I was self medicating with alcohol, so the medication prescribed didn't help much. Like KateL I have had counselling which has helped, I still get my ups and downs, but am learning to cope differently now. Have you seen a doctor about how you are feeling?
I am shopping arond. Went to one yesterday. I figure I might stay a couple sessions. I really want help #nothing to lose