Things are going well

Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things are going well

I am currently reading a book by Ellis, and waiting for the Rational Recovery book to come in.

Still under a week, but I've gone without for Lent before, so I really think the next hurdle is a holiday where my stinking thinking will be asking for a treat.

So I'll keep reading, do my homework, work on the stinking thinking (an Ellis term)
Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I liked the rational/emotive stuff that Ellis talks about, found it to mesh well with my addiction understanding. How you are enjoying it?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's so spot on with me that I think this guy must have had a microphone in my head. A lot of my addictive behavior stems from my "want it now" mode. One time my husband said that some people ask "What does the you of tomorrow want." I just thought "The me of tomorrow doesn't give a crap most of the time - It's the me of now I'm worried about."
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery book will prove to you that the addictive voice in your head really is not you, just a part of your brain that craves the alcohol. With that knowledge, you will be empowered to tell that voice off, ignore that voice, and listen to the real you - who doesn't want to drink. You will love that book my friend!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

MaggieMai, has anyone pointed you to the Rational Recovery website? Have you looked at The Crash Course and the other stuff there? I found that to be very useful for me, but I did order the book even so.

I got my first copy well over two years ago, and even though I hadn't finished reading it, I passed it along to someone else. Recently, I wanted another friend to have a copy, so I bought two, but still haven't gone more than halfway through my copy. I guess I just get busy with doing something else!

Anyway, MM, so happy you have found us here at SR, and at the Secular Connections forum too. I hope you find it helpful, and that you keep posting and helping others find their own way forward through to the end of their own addictions. I hope you feel comfortable in posting questions and observations, it keeps the forum alive and fresh. Thanks!