# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 4

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-20.html

D
Old 01-17-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Munchkin: So DH's word is "Difficult"? LOL Better watch it! DS will be next using that phrase since he see's daddy getting by with it. What would be the after school plan for DS if DH is working? My step daughter is getting a divorce, but it was a secret as to why they were getting a divorce. I finally said: "Whatever"! She broke. LOL She immediately text back with OMG blah blah blah! Well now we know the WHY! And can we say Jethro is just livid about it!

That is really sad about your mom's drinking problem. If nothing else? Use it for your good! You'll never want to be like that again. You are going to hurt from it, but it will make you stronger too. Just try to remember the good times with her. I've heard things out of my mom's mouth about my dad since he's passed. Things I wished she'd not revealed to me, but he's gone now. I will hold tight to my memories and try not to let what she's saying now as supposedly the truth bother me?

Speaking of tons of paperwork? Lordy! I have a wheel barrel worth of paperwork here that I could shred. I just won't do it though! If it's not on paper? Then it can all disappear.

Man! The temps are dropping like a rock around here. It's down to 28 degrees and the winds today were trying to blow us away too. And here we are getting back up to 60 tomorrow! I'll take it! And then we are going back down hill next week. ARGH! No wonder ppl are getting sick. There has been 21 deaths here in AR due to the H1N1 flu already. Young healthy college kids have been among the deaths too. "The Doctor's" show today was 30 minutes long about ppl needing to get the vaccine. Jethro told me I need to get my butt to the doctor and get the damned vaccine. I told him I was hoping he'd be over his crap before I got the shot. I always get sick the next day from them. Don't need both of us sick at the same time. But damn! He's been sick for 2 1/2 months now.

Hey! Since you are in the cold part of the world? Do y'all have the candy there called "Fairy Food"? I always ate it during the winter time when I lived in WI. I also was introduced to Sprecker Rootbeer! OMG! Now you want to talk about some delicious Rootbeer? That would be the one!
After school for DS is actually a place he's gone to before. Very nice place pretty close to us. They have their own chef that prepares the kids meals and very nice people all around. That would actually be before and after school.
You know TOD, I actually like use my Mom to remind me "THIS is how I used to sound, this is what I used to be" Sometimes it happens when I need it most, other times it just annoys me, like yesterday. Also yesterday it probably annoyed me because I was on my way out of work which is a tad bit harder when you're carrying at least two bags, one with boots or extra shoes, dirty dishes from lunch or breakfast, you're wearing a heavy jacket, gloves, hat, scarf, winter boots and I'm fiddling with my car keys and my cell phone.
Never heard of that. Here, my coworker brought locally made root beer and my other coworker brought vanilla ice cream.
By that time the office had closed to customers so we got to snack on popcorn, brownies, rootbeer floats and just chat with each other. I forgot how nice it is to actually talk with my coworkers.
We got 59 minutes today which was cool but I didn't leave until about 350 or so. Just got done watching Captain Ron with DS, DH and the kitten (kitten slept on dh's shoulder during most of it). We ordered out chinese from our favorite restaurant (they're cheaping out on us. The wonton soup was really watered down and the rest of the food seemed mostly to be broth/gravy and not as much meat and veggies. Hmm...)
Nice evening. This is why I'm so glad I'm sober. Just to remember moments like tonight.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amen to that Munchkin!! I love remembering things clearly, having energy and good problem solving skills….no slurred words and sloppy thinking. I'm really sorry about your mom though.

Root beer floats-----sound good….maybe I'll make some and use Diet A & W root beer - save a few calories!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

typing tonight one handed because I have a sleeping kitten who obviously played very hard with a little 8 yr old boy today. As I type she's dreaming, her paws and noise twitching here and there. So sweet. Got quite a bit done this weekend but not everything I wanted. There is always tomorrow though. I don't go back to work till Tuesday.
Weird, no cravings at all as of late to drink. Maybe its due to less stress?
Life is normal, happy, real and sober. Its pretty darn cool. Just wish DH would get a job and soon. He's gotta get out of the house!
Cabin fever is real and it does happen here.
Well gotta run. Time for ds to go to bed, have a load of laundry to put away, and a sleepy kitty to put to bed. Night night sober recovery land.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've got a bit of cabin fever myself and our weather is nothing compared to yours. Is it too cold to walk outside? I bet it's beautiful

Less stress is a good thing. I've recently added some stress to my life by choosing to volunteer more. I feel crabby and tired tonight.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is beautiful here Pond, ds remarks on it pretty often how much he likes it.
As for DH, I think he's mostly just he needs to get a job. He spends his days (the past week) just watching tv which just makes him more and more lazy.
Horchata wasn't too thrilled with me today. She got her first "bath" today. Used a gentle shampoo and gave her a very quick bath and now she smells sweet, and is super soft and cuddly. Afterwards I told dh that she must've forgiven me because she was cuddling with me non stop afterwards. She smells a LOT better! (she smelled faintly of urine before)
Well today, I did manage to go through my jewelry cabinet and untangle MOST of my jewelry from the move. All my necklaces were still in there when the movers packed it and they were a mess. Yeah, it took me that long to get to it. I wasn't looking forward to cleaning it up. LOL As it stands dh is untangling one nasty bit that I brought downstairs. (I'm painting my nails so I asked nicely if he could help)
Oh and made the MOST WONDERFUL BUTTERED SOURDOUGH ROLLS! OMG these are delectable, hot, yummy buttery goodness! YUM! AND I MADE THEM FROM SCRATCH!!
WOW!
Today we also ran by a second hand store here called Value Village. Today was 50% off day. Everything was 50% off. So got DS two new pairs of tennis shoes, got me 3 new blouses, and one necklace. (hence the reason I figured it was a good time to untangle stuff in the jewelry cabinet)
Spent a whopping total of $27 for all of it! Nice!

Today managed to also making a super big batch of beef broth which is still simmering on the stove. Got some reduced beef soup bones so threw those together with some onions, garlic, bay leaves, pepper and salt and let it keep cooking down.
We were supposed to get the honey today but first dh used the money meant for the honey for his and ds's haircut this weekend and then we got into a disagreement over which person to buy from.
So I threw my hands up and said "lets put this idea on a shelf for now!"
Kind of productive day but I was hoping to get a few extra things done that I didn't do. When I plug my armband in tonight I won't be surprised to see that I didn't sleep all that much the night before.
At around midnight I woke up with a start. At the time had no clue but this morning upon waking up I saw in the news that we had a series of earthquakes at around 1130p or so, so I'm wondering if maybe that was why??
Regardless, I'm tired.
So is, obviously, my kitty who is sleeping beside me as I type. LOL
Well gotta go check on the broth. It should almost be done by now, and I gotta start dinner.
Looking forward to seeing how this week at work goes. Hhmm, that reminds me, gotta get my new blouses out of the wash. I want to wear one tomorrow.
Still here, still sober!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sourdough butter rolls.JPG (47.7 KB, 269 views)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At work today getting stuff done. On the drive to work this morning I realized. I'm content. Sure, dh needs to get a job, there is that worry and money is a bit tighter but hey, we're making it so far. Of course, money being tighter is also because food up here is super expensive (priced a few basic staples recently. @ Walmart, $2.00 for a small bag of red beans.
I'm so thankful that we stocked up somewhat in Maryland. As it stands we're still doing that annoying "stocking up the fridge and freezer" bit which costs $$$$$.

This weekend made those rolls, beef broth, chicken broth, zuppa toscana soup, some of which went into the freezer. Next is other make ahead meals like chili and rice or what not. Good for quick lunches when we just don't have time.
Told dh we gotta get better at making all sorts of bread. Bread is expensive here as well.
My coworker and I are making plans to start going to the gym in the evenings. Maybe for 30 minutes, 2 times a week. I want to see what schedules they have there too.
I've been doing horrible on the yoga bit, Pond. I'm frustrated because so far I've tried my kindle app and I've tried the video I have but I can't watch the video and do each position at the same time. When you're in a class and your facing down to the ground how do you keep up with what the instructor is saying?
So I've been not doing so hot on that. However that said I have been doing my sit ups and planks almost every other day or so. Good stuff there.
Well I got some Alaska marine highway reservations to build, some flight reservations to make and what not. Gotta get back to work. Still here, still sober!
(PS. HOW IN THE WORLD DID I AFFORD ALCOHOL HERE????? I don't know.)
Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I first began yoga I watched our instructor. Now I keep my eyes closed and only listen…she is good at guiding us…and I prefer my eyes closed. I found it frustrating to do yoga videos as I wasn't familiar with the routine. When I do yoga on my own, I begin with stretching, then do poses I'm interested in I really miss doing it twice a week…it's an awesome work out. Could you take a class somewhere?

Your rolls look delicious…..buttery goodness to be sure! I could pass the winter with a kitten on my lap eating warm rolls
Old 01-21-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's what I'm going to try to look into. See if there is a class nearby, maybe just a few so I can actually watch because I'm pretty unfamiliar with most of the poses. Plus some of them I've heard of before but I keep thinking "what if I am doing this completely wrong". I don't want to get into a bad habit of form and posture that is harder later to get out of.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I skipped yoga class last night….too cold and tired.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WELLL DANG! I had written a whole lot and then I lost it all! GRRRRR.
Relaxing day at home tonight. Got off an hour early (UNpaid hour) due to the weather. Its unseasonably warm here and then it rained. YUCK.
Wreaked havoc with the traffic and the airport.
DH, after a busy day meeting with the VA rep and the Army Career assistance program people made pizza and salad.

I feel like its been a pretty good week at work. I hope I'm helping my coworker. I think I'm going to treat myself and make a poor mans omelet tomorrow of eggs, green onions, olives and cheese. And maybe an english muffin. I've been really good lately (except for the small handful here or there of M&M's every so often at work). Feel like treating myself.
Well, its almost Friday and it feels like I've been at this office for a while now and yet I feel like I've barely even been there.
I had an epiphany this morning. I realized "wow, I get to live here again but now I experience everything through sober eyes and I don't have the hangovers to make the mornings horrible, uncomfortable and what not. What a gift!" I suddenly felt so lucky, as if I just won the lotto. Pretty cool.
Very grateful for my sobriety today.
Still here still sober.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today at work. Short day here, thanks to weather again. Its warm out which messes up our roads and makes them super dangerous.
After a busy morning of reservations, ticket exchanges and customer dialogues I'm taking a break and snacking on popcorn and a root beer float.
Nice.
Got super excited today because I got a customer a ticket for emergency leave under the authorized amount.
Each soldier and family member is authorized a certain amount for situations like this. Its our job to get the tickets UNDER that which is sometimes super easy, sometimes tough. This one was about average on the tough scale but I was still thrilled.
Posted on fb that "this lady still has it!"
LOL
Made my day. Also did an exchange for a really old customr (old as in the lady knows me from 5 years ago, we were somewhat of friends). Got lots of thanks there which made me feel really good.
Well, getting ready to go. And I have to work a bit on my sons extra hat before I leave today.
Still here, still sober. And so very grateful for my sobriety. Life is Good!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's wonderful you're getting the opportunity to enjoy Alaska completely sober…..appreciating everything Why does warm weather make your roads dangerous?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This time of year our roads are packed with about 1 to 2 inches of thick ice. This is heavily studded with pebbles and gravel.
When break up occurs (usually April/May) then our roads turn very slick, slushy and dangerous. Think of the lower 48 after you've gotten hit with the worst ice storm turned snow storm ever. We all count on the roads staying more or less frozen until April or May. At that point the big caterpillars come out and start to collect the thawing mess off the roads as quickly as possible while spreading out even more gravel. Its a joke here that every spring we have to replace our windshield. Here we can't use salt because it'll just refreeze. So we allow the snow to pack up into a thick coating of ice. Easier to drive on.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Busy day. Included these two loaves of Kalamata olive sourdough bread. Turned out really good so one loaf is going towards sandwich bread. The other one went to dinner tonight.
Made gnocchi for the first time tonight. Only boo boo was I should've put salt in the gnocchi but other wise it turned out very tasty in our chicken and gnocchi soup tonight.
Good news, 4 more soups now being frozen for quick meals later. Those are always handy because I get tired of coming home, making dinner and then making my lunch shortly after. Its nice to have ready made meals to just grab out of the freezer and head off to work.
We were supposed to go to a hockey game tonight because we had two free tickets but unfortunately my paycheck was paper this time. Meant we didn't have the $$$ for the other tickets. It was bad enough to have to transfer money from savings to go grocery shopping.
Thankfully I DID get my paycheck today but of course, in paper form.

Tomorrow, one batch of sourdough english muffins and one batch of simple sourdough sandwich bread. Very easy. Oh and loads of ironing. I hate ironing.

Relaxing tonight with a cup of Starbucks Salted Caramel hot cocoa. You know, I love salted caramel. Especially salted caramel ice cream but the hot cocoa I'm not as fond of. We're watching Harry Potter. The last one. Watching Daniel Radcliffe on the screen, now with him so much older reminds me that my own son will (and is) grow up so fast. I'm so glad I'm sober now a days because like in the words of Aerosmith
Dont wanna close my eyes. I dont wanna fall asleep. Cause I'll miss you babe. And I dont wanna miss a thing
Still here, still sober.
Attached Images
Old 01-26-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Covered in flour again. This time this is the end product. 30 sourdough english muffins. Ready for future breakfasts. Right after this photo they went off into the freezer so I can store them in bags so they'll keep. I won't have to buy any more anytime soon. But that said, I do have to buy some more flour as we're running short. DH also made pizza dough so we can have pizza later this week.
I told him I want to get better now at hamburger buns too.
Plus told dh I want to start learning how to make soap from scratch. That's something that has always been on my bucket list.
Still no job for dh. He keeps saying "its his resume" I keep saying "no, you need to get out and TALK to people. Get some contacts, use the ones you have. Grrr.
Well whatever, off to cooking dinner I go. Still here still sober.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
englishmuffins.jpg (96.9 KB, 258 views)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

How did I end up not getting emails from here? ARGH! I'll catch up on reading later on. Didn't intentionally stop coming over here to talk to you two. I think it happened when Dee started a new Thread. Hmmmmm LOL

BBL Ladies!

TOD
Old 01-28-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Interesting about the roads being better to drive on when they stay frozen with ice….makes sense now that you explained it.

Your baking looks delicious and you sound do happy

Our new gas fireplace is all installed and I love it! It is warm and cozy, no splitting firewood and cleaning up ashes….oh and the best part? It has a remote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hey Munch! Can you possibly squeeze some of those rolls thru the side of the screen over to me and Pond? We sure would appreciate you for it! Or maybe get a Drone or two for delivery. We'll be waiting patiently for it. Butter and plate in hand waiting for it.

So you want to make homemade soap! I'll find the link to the site where I buy my goatmilk soap from. She has books for sale showing how to make it. If you're interested that is? She makes one particular bar called "Almonds and Cream". I use it for a shave soap. Leaves my legs SOOOO soft and smooth. Also smells wonderful!

As for all those bags you are carrying around? Maybe invest in a backpack with several compartments! One thing to carry and it leaves your hands free!

As for DH finding a job there? How is the market on jobs being available? He sounds like my Jethro right now though! Isn't too ready to go back to work! Jethro has been super sick since the 1st of December. He's just now feeling somewhat human again.

Well! Supper alarms are going off in the kitchen. Jethro just opened the door and looked at me. I listened to which alarm was going off and told him to open the oven door and pull the food out! LOL He's a bottomless pit when it comes to FOOD!

TOD
Old 01-28-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yessiree! I am definitely interested and I am starting to get to know some farmers in the area that have goats (and goat milk). Along with fiber from Alpaca sheep, beef lard or tallow, along with the lady who provides us eggs once a week (who has also kindly invited us to her house come summer so DS can play with the chickens and pigs. Personally I think he'll enjoy the chickens more. LOL)

Actually, this time of year I have one bag for my meals (and then dirty dishes later), one bag with my everyday stuff like my kindle and what not and then one with shoes. We don't wear dress shoes at all out here as snow boots are de rigueur this time of year. Not at all uncommon for everyone here to walk around with heavy snow boots with ahhh workout gear on as their coming home from the gym. I mention that because my coworker and I just got done doing a 30 min cardio workout at the gym. I wished I could've gone for longer but my coworker kind of moved rather slowly getting to the gym and I have to wait for her to sign her in.
Tomorrow we're going again, which reminds me, I gotta organize my music on my iphone.
DH actually really wants to get back to work, I get the feeling he's getting VERY bored! He finally started doing what I suggested and started networking with others in this area. Fairbanks is very much a small town, everyone knows everyone. That means getting into any company when you don't know anyone there is tough! Keep reminding him that! So he's getting into gear and trying his hand at networking and politicking.

I WISH I COULD SHARE WITH BOTH OF YA!! So far I'm impressed with some of the things I've learned. I never knew how english muffins were made so that was pretty cool. I like knowing how our very basic foods are made. It all really makes me sad that my Grandma is gone. When she died so much knowledge died with her. I would've loved knowing how she made pasta, bread, and really authentic german dishes.
My family on my Dad's side is all Romanian so their cooking was very old school german style.
Tonight DH made dinner, spaghetti, salad, and mini foccacia rolls (no I didn't make those, haven't learned how yet). God love em. I didn't get home till about 605p or so.

Oh and our poor kitty has a sore abdomen. She got fixed today she's not a happy camper.
Work is going AWESOME! Slowly sliding back into the normal routine of things. NICE.
Well time for bed, ds has to take a shower, I want to take a bath, I have a feeling I will be sore slightly tomorrow, and I want to do a bit of reading before heading off to lala land.
Nighty night all! Here's to a endorphin filled evening (gym).
Still here, still sober.