# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January 2014 Part 4

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part3-20.html

D
Old 01-15-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The last couple of months have been hellish for me. I have never been this down. I have been drinking more than I ever have before. I have to thank the Harm-Reduction (HAMSnetwork.org) approach for keeping me out of any serious trouble. I took the recommended steps of eliminating the biggest risks associated with being drunk. However, in spite of the the fact that I was drink in a safer way (not driving for example) I can literally feel my physical, emotional, and mental health fall away.

So here I am. I have no interest in moderate drinking and I don't believe it is even possible.
Harm-reduction will prolong the process of killing myself, but the end result will be the same, just maybe 20 years later. The only other choice is to quit completely. I did not want it to come to this, but here it is.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sammy1974 View Post

So here I am. I have no interest in moderate drinking and I don't believe it is even possible.
Harm-reduction will prolong the process of killing myself, but the end result will be the same, just maybe 20 years later. The only other choice is to quit completely. I did not want it to come to this, but here it is.
Welcome Sammy1974. You have joined a great group and we can all relate to not being able to drink moderately. It is all or nothing for me! You will find lots of help her.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Sammy

D
Old 01-15-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Sammy, glad to have you here
Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, Im back. Day 3.

I was bad, very bad. But I have a clearer head now and I'm ready to start again. Have to keep the shameful thoughts about going back to it out of my head. A craving has since passed. Im doing ok. About to cook some homemade soup to keep me occupied. Just wanted to say hello again and Im back. Its a good thing.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back sonrisa
Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back sonrisa, hope you learned from your slip.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hummm… have I learned from it…. Well, this isn't the first time I have slipped. So I guess I am relearning it each time, yes? But Im taking it day by day and that is the best anyone can do.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sonrisa12 View Post
Hummm… have I learned from it…. Well, this isn't the first time I have slipped. So I guess I am relearning it each time, yes? But Im taking it day by day and that is the best anyone can do.
Trust me, you are not alone there... Most, if not all, of us have had slips...
Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Part 4 already!

Day 15 for me
Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Huge welcome to carebearlost, Sammy and sonrisa!!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 16 yay!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi guys, Day 9 here. I am down with a quite bad cold, but went to work today regardless and had some really great interactions with colleagues. Decided to stay home tomorrow and work on some work-related writings. So interesting, because I usually hate to be sick but this one (I even have a fever, just took ibuprofen for it and the mild muscle aches) feels so much easier / better than most of the hangovers!

Welcomes and congrats to everyone who's holding
Old 01-15-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well soon Haennie

D
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

day 15 January 15. I feel better, skin is better, sleep is better, happier, getting a lot done, life is getting better! We can do this classmates feeling positive
Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 21 ending here, starting week 4 tomorrow. Like many of you, I am now shifting focus to shedding some weight. Today was the 3rd day of walking on my lunch break, journaling what I am eating, and improving my overall diet. Hopefully, drastically reducing carbs will help.

Welcome to all the newbies and congratulations to everyone completing week one and two!

Artic, hang in there and don't hesitate to do whatever is in YOUR BEST INTEREST in getting rid of the uninvited package from your SIL. Even if it means putting them in a bag and whacking it with a hammer!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ending day 16. Today a colleague was commiserating with me about the frantic pace of work and he said, "well there's always alcohol". And I just said, "not for me - I don't drink." It felt GREAT to say that. No big deal, matter of fact. He didn't blink, just said, "ok, then chocolate."

On my commute, I've been listening to the audio of Caroline Knapp's Drinking a Love Story, and she talks a LOT in the early part of the book about the lure of drinking for an alcoholic. The seeming magic it weaves - they way it builds a bridge from who we are to who we wish we were. She actually kind of goes on and on and on about the seeming miracle of the liquid cure for, well, everything, while it works. I read this book years ago during another attempt to quit and I remember it resonating so strongly with me. This time I'm almost a little bored at this part of the book and I realized that my drinking the last few years really did cross over into pure dependency. It wasn't working for me anymore. I felt more like a hostage. I wasn't even kidding myself anymore. The last six months particularly I felt such a desperation and despair. I think that is helping me this time - that I have crossed over to where there is absolutely no romance in a bottle anymore. I don't consider it a former lover or anything like that. I consider it the worst kind of cage that I'm simply glad to be free of. Glad is an understatement.

So whether it's day one or day 16, it's one more day away from the cage, one day closer to really being free.

Good work everyone. Arctic - glad you dumped the wine.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Also the end of day 16, and it was much easier than I thought it would be. My daughter didn't push any of my buttons (nor I hers), I bought a few things for myself, and I had a book club meeting this evening. All in all, it felt pretty good. I seem to have a lot more confidence than I did just a few weeks ago, and I think that has to do with keeping promises to myself. Very, very tired still, but I wonder if it's more mental than physical strain. We've had to change a number of things about ourselves to stay sober these past few weeks.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Adee, I ordered that book last summer and never started it, along with several others that I ordered online. I'll make a goal of reading it this weekend.