last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-22-a-20.html

D
Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh Lordy. Toots, if you were serious about wanting me to summarize threads I'm gonna have to be back on the laptop before I can even begin to wrap my head around that one!!! Lol

But here's a little list of fun facts:

North is a dude.

Wehav likes dudes. Just not in that special way.

Duff likes Westies and Polo

Sassy likes all kinds of stuff including telling her boss to take a hike thank youverymuch.

Marcher, joy and gilmer are foodies, ladies after my own heart

Budd has feet like my brother. I love my brother!

Babs is perpetually upbeat. (You know it's cool to offload here if you ever feel otherwise...)

Lifet is very cool to all of us

Toots has chucked her standards and decided to join us in the colonies lol

Meso is highlarious

Shoes is my kind of crazy, and I mean that in the nicest way

Dd is a chick magnet

Dee as always, is awesome and doesn't seem to sleep

Love you people!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Originally Posted by Gilmer
Just out of curiosity, which artists do you like, DD? We struck out with the Wizard of Oz, and it's obvious that your acoustic taste is too refined for Bruce. I want to know what the true standard of taste should be!
I like pretty eclectic music, Glimer. I like stuff that sounds like something I've never heard before. Stuff that is out of the box. Stuff that I wish I could have thought of. I was in high school in the 90s, so I grew up listening to alternative music like the Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Pavement, Built to Spill, etc.

But I still remember in 1996 the first time I heard Endtroducing by DJ Shadow. It changed my life. How someone could sample tiny snippets of 1000s of old records and rearrange them into beautiful, instrumental bliss. I started getting into electronic music after that. First it started with groups like the Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, and Crystal Method. And then it shifted to artists that pushed the envelope, yet still maintained a strong sense of musicality. People like BT (especially his electronic/classical stuff like This Binary Universe), Evil Nine, Plump DJs, Tipper, Ils, Tech Itch, Bad Company, Cause for Concern, General Midi, Alex Metric, and the Stanton Warriors.

Now, electronic music is all over the place. A lot has become mainstream. Not necessarily a bad thing. But it's becoming more and more rare that I hear something that just blows me away and makes me completely rethink things. But luckily, I still hear an amazing track every once in a while. For example, I'm not a big fan of dubstep, and then this beauty found my ears:

So most of what I listen to is instrumental. To me, pure sound can convey WAY more emotion than lyrics. So I listen to a lot of classical, especially Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, Dvorak. But I do love my opera, especially Verdi, Puccini and Mozart (though I think his instrumental pieces are a bit formulaic and dull).

As for Jazz, give me Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Early Miles Davis, and Thelonious Monk.

But I do still listen to some mainstream stuff. Love Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, Spoon, Japandriods, Bloc Party, Explosions in the Sky, a couple of Taking Back Sunday records, Imogen Heap (love that she does EVERYTHING herself), Phoenix, and Silversun Pickups.

And I can't forget hip-hop. Mostly more underground stuff like Aesop Rock, El-P, Talib Kweli, and MF Doom, though Childish Gambino is growing on me. Maybe it's because I love Donald Glover's comedy stuff. And ever since I heard that DJ Shadow record, I've been into instrumental, crate-digging hip-hop artists like Madlib, J Dilla, Pretty Lights and RJD2.

Finally, I'm a sucker for 60s motown, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, the Cure, the Police, and Prince.

That about sums it up.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My favorites types of music in a broad sense are classical, folk, blues, New Age and jazz. Guess some of that dates me! I still remember Woodstock. I actually do enjoy some rock and whatever else strikes me. I'm generally not into Country but occasionally enjoy Willie Nelson. Classical is my first love - took piano lessons for 13 years and played in competitions in NYC a couple of times (honorable mention was the best i could do). Beethoven's Patetique (if I spelled that right) and CPE Bach's Solfeggietto were ones I played in depth. Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite, some Mozart, lots of JS Bach. Folk - love Ian and Sylvia, Arlo Guthrie, Joan Baez, Odetta. Also New Age - Enya/Clannad, Loreena McKennett, various others.

DD, I got a chuckle out of your list when I realized I've never even heard of most of them. I guess that's what almost 40 years can do, lol!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just popping in to say hi to Sassy and Wehav
Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi all...........today hasn't been a good day, but i'm so sick of giving negative updates, i'll leave it at that for now.

Phewee it's a tad hot. Sorry to u Americans, know you've been struggling through the freezing temperatures but boy are we cooking. It's 8pm and we're still 42c.......approx 114F. Watching the Tennis and they're all falling apart, they're all collapsing on court! Hope everyone well. Thanks for the run down WeHave. LP x
Old 01-14-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ooohhhh…I see the heat on TV, Life, Dee & Marcher! I hope it cools down for you…and the players.

Nice recap, We. Although, there is a misconception that I only love Westies, I have a beautiful Scottie girl as well
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know your tastes, DD! You are very wide-ranging! I also love Radiohead and love, love, love old Motown!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

LT - I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we want to hear the bad stuff as well as the good - this is not some sobriety popularity contest....you're fighting for your life and your friends are there with you on the bad days as well the good

you never know when talking it out might provide a breakthrough?
D
Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, LP! How have you been coping with the justice issues you were dealing with last month (the death of the drunk driver rather than his being held responsible for your mother's death)? What else is going on?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, you're comforting words are always, well......comforting I'm not taking the ****, just trying to make light of a bad day. Bed time now. Praps i'll share another day. Nite folks LP x
Old 01-14-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just more Gilmer. Tmro maybe. LP
Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good night, LP! May you have a sound sleep!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Jeni!! Welcome!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Just popping in to say hi to Sassy and Wehav
Hi Jeni!! :-)
Old 01-14-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

LP, hang in whatever the problems. I found it hard at first to realize that being sober means experiencing all of the ups and downs of life. Some things we have no control over but there are plenty of others with choices that are ours to make.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I can't believe how much has been going on here, is it really so long since I last posted are are y'all just in a yappy mood!!!

Molly and I had a great journey down to England and she is settled here. I don't doubt she will subdued for a few days but she will settle

Mesoso, I had to laugh at you thinking North ways a man, then thinking he was a woman now realising he is a dude married to a dude! You must have missed his post about the summer nuptials, we all threw confetti and ate cake until we were sick. ( obviously we weren't invited to the wedding, and this was months later anyway, but who needs an excuse to throw confetti and eat cake!!!!!)

LP you will have good days and you will have bad days, but the longer you can stay sober, the better you will deal with strong emotions of every kind.

Am not a total Boss fan, but like ' I'm on fire' one of my favs is The Proclaimers, I recommend you YouTube them, especially 'sunshine on Leith' I love their harmonies. I love Nat King Cole, his voice turns me to jello. I love Jake Buugs Lightening Bolt, and Jack Johnson. I also love the jam, stranglers, buzzcocks, clash, I'm very much alate 70s early 80's chick

Sorry if I have missed a topic, I will look back over later, but wifi is erratic here so I need to post when I can.

Btw 10 months today for me Yay!!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Mesoso, I had to laugh at you thinking North ways a man, then thinking he was a woman now realising he is a dude married to a dude!
Yes, more recent references to the "husband" were what threw me! I was sure North was a guy, then I saw the husband references, which left me with two possibilities -- that North was half of a married gay couple or North was a woman. And the latter seemed more likely strictly from an oddsmaking perspective. Throw in the fact that I couldn't remember specifically why I'd had North pegged as a dude in the first place, and there you are. Oh, the humanity. Sorry I missed your big day, Northlander, but here's a belated CONGRATULATIONS to ye!

Is there any cake left?

Lifetplant, echoing what others have said about feeling free to share the bad here (God knows I've done enough of that), but I also know what it's like to just get tired of hearing yourself b*tch and not wanting to talk about it anymore. On a different subject, is it actually 114 F where this tennis tournament is being held? I'm surprised they'd even have them play in that kind of heat. Even 100 degrees seems quite dangerous in terms of the risk of heat exhaustion/stroke, PARTICULARLY given that these are (I assume?) elite athletes who are accustomed to pushing themselves well past the point of discomfort/pain. Yikes.

As for me being highlarious, wehav, well, pot never really did it for me.

Have a great and sober day, Marcher friends!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 months, Toots!