Notices

Well Hello

Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well Hello

Hey, so, I think this might be the place for me, but I'm not 100% sure...

I say that I am "spiritual but not religious", but I do not believe in any "supreme being" and generally consider myself an Atheist-- I believe in spirituality as a part of human nature, that it is not some "gift from the heavens" but is simply what gives us our reason, desire, convictions, and peace. I can dig the 12-step idea of addiction being a spiritual illness, because it robs us of reason, takes over our desire, compromises our convictions, and replaces peace with unrest. I don't trip over "God" or "higher power" so much that I feel out of place in 12-step programs, in fact, I have 10 1/2 months clean thanks to NA. I just use the terms very loosely, to reflect what I feel is my "spirit" and that works for me. My "higher power" is, as the NA Basic Text says, "whatever force keeps me clean"-- it is just about acceptance and surrender to me, and I find my own way to work the steps in a way that works with my beliefs. Is this the forum for someone like me?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this is the right forum for you.

good to see you again Onewithwings
congratulations on the sober time
D
Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, this is the longest I have ever had and I haven't had the desire to use since I quit. I have acted out in other ways no doubt, but the way I see it, I am making awesome progress and recognizing my defects. I am aware of them and don't try to justify them, and I am working on dealing with my issues and making amends to myself and others. I am realizing that if I can lose the desire to use, I can do anything. I never thought it would leave me, but it did, and if that can change, I no longer have to justify any defects, because I know that things can change... sometimes it takes drastic action, and sometimes it just takes time.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Well hello right back at ya! Good on you for your 10 1/2 months.

-allan
Old 12-27-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Glad to have you on board, congrats on the clean time! I hope this is the board for you...because I feel very much like you do...so maybe it's the board for both of us.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am proud of your clean time. You are doing great. I love that everyone here is different, and yet we all have one goal. To stay clean. Alcohol is my poison, and I am loving being sober. I have never been to an AA meeting. This site is what I use and it is working for me. No one has tried to tell me what to believe, they just except me for who I am and help me along the way. It is good to meet you.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're in the right place! I too am "spiritual" in the sense of reveling in being alive and human and celebrating our common humanity. But I have no illusions that there's a supernatural being overlooking the workings of the Universe. It's great to have one little spot to just be yourself and post freely without having to pretend that we believe "God has a plan" and the like.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Onewithwings, congratulations on 10 1/2 months, amazing.

I hope you find it as helpful to you as it has to me x
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

IRT "God has a plan" and "My higher Power's will for me", I just look at positive action and acceptance, like one foot in front of the other. I take positive action, and accept the results, repeatedly. As long as I can do that, I don't really need to believe that a skydaddy has predesignated the events of my life or is cryptically attempting to tell me what I should do.