Notices

Thankful for my first AA meeting

Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thankful for my first AA meeting

I was inundated by the support I received at my first AA meeting this morning. I was obviously scared and nervous, and right away a woman gave me a hug, a newcomer packet, and her phone number. More and more people offered up their phone numbers amd let me know of meetings closer to my home and a great women's group as well.

I went in scared, ripped my tissues to shreds, tapped my foot the whole time, and came out looking forward to my next meeting. It is wonderful to be surrounded by forty people who are nonjudgemental, welcoming, and sober!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Eli, what a wonderful encouraging post!

That was very brave of you to go and it sounds like your courage paid off! Well done!!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Big relief! I am very motivated and positive. Thank you
Old 12-17-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have yourself to thank and the wonderful people in the meeting to thank.

Sobriety showed me there are good people all around me and I didn't know it.

Way to go on being your own best friend when you needed it!
Old 12-18-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

eli, you just told my story!

though it was the men that gave me the hugs, lol
Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EliSnow View Post
I was inundated by the support I received at my first AA meeting this morning. I was obviously scared and nervous, and right away a woman gave me a hug, a newcomer packet, and her phone number. More and more people offered up their phone numbers amd let me know of meetings closer to my home and a great women's group as well.

I went in scared, ripped my tissues to shreds, tapped my foot the whole time, and came out looking forward to my next meeting. It is wonderful to be surrounded by forty people who are nonjudgemental, welcoming, and sober!
To EliSnow,

I am so excited for you and if you keep coming back to meetings you will have tremendous support. We have all been there and found such love and understanding. For me it had been a while surrounded by people who understood. I discovered if I focused on what I can do and let God do the rest it was a sense of empowerment. I went to meetings close and far and it became a new way of life. God Bless you Eli and hope you will keep coming back to SR as the same understanding is here. Best regards, Ipanema.
P.S. I have never been to a bad AA meeting, there was always something I needed to hear.