# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2013 - Part 8

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-7-a-21.html

D
Old 12-15-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Woohoo, Part 8! Watch out class of September, cause here we come!

Advbike, I hate to hear about the arthritis. I know that's painful. Your description of the outdoors scene at the end of the last thread is so beautiful, and I know what you mean. Those types of scenes trigger me too because I want to 'intensify' the feeling. I think I remember one of your very first posts on this thread was about that...wanting to enjoy the sunset with beer or wine because then it would be even better. Of course, logically we know it won't, or at the very least it will be fleeting, but the triggers creep in nevertheless.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ADVbike - how about Asprin vs the alcohol. Has similar blood thinning characteristics without the side effects. Could also drink Cranberry and sodas like I do to pump the antioxidants? Also, I think there are some prescription remedies like Embrel that might help - see a good ortho. I have to imagine there is a remedy.

I hear you on the cravings. Those are the worst - out of nowhere. I find the obvious triggers are not really bad for me its these curveballs that can suck. Did you go skiing? It dumped up in VT this weekend. Can't wait for the knee to be back to ski shape - few weeks.

Separate topic, I just found the healthy section in this forum. Not bad, only took me four months. anyhow some good suggestions for aerobic and anaerobic routines.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions JD. Unfortunately I'm allergic to aspirin and all of the Nsaids - they're an asthma trigger. Learned the hard way... but your idea about food-based solutions is a good one. I suspect a healthier diet and less refined sugar would help. No skiing yet this year, will be starting Nordic when more snow on ground - ours is evaporating quickly, at least at my elevation.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kadi, thanks... and yes good memory! Sunsets and other beautiful scenes are a big trigger...

Well off for a quick winter bike mud/snow ride - get my endorphins up and pre-satisfy the emotional craving before we get another nice sunset - which is looking likely!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A couple photos of the lake we were fishing on. -22•c but we were warm in the ice shack with a fire blazing. It was sure different fishing without beer, but i had a 2 and 4 year old to keep my mind occupied!

Hotdogs grilled on top of the wood stove and chips to snack on! The kids loved it and I have to admit that I did have quite a bit of fun too.

Watching my kids experience things for the first time is amazing! Surprisingly, the 2 year old picked up the jigging technique very quickly! My 4 year old just complained of being "boreded".

Last edited by Sheknits; 02-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sheknits. I can't imagine doing something like that! It sounds very fun. I can't even imagine cold like that! But did you catch any fish?! Is there really a hole you have to be careful not to fall into? Doesn't the fire burn a hole in the ice? I need details. I grew up in California.....
Old 12-15-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

About arthritis. My husband has arthritis. Pretty bad arthritis and 2 ruptured disks in his neck. He sometimes drinks gin to make it feel better but he's a normal drinker. I did, however, find a bottle of Vicodin in his pants pocket. (Wash day). I don't know how he thought I would not find it. I don't know how he could watch me go through detox and not be more mindful of my problem but, I guess, I must realize this is, in fact, my problem. I sat there for a while looking at them, thinking the thoughts you think. But I did not take one. I just put them back where I found them. He can wash his own damn pants, too. It's really just like alcohol. I can go get blind drunk if I want to. There's alcohol in the house. Wine at the grocery store. Vicodin in my husbands pocket. I have to be responsible for myself. And I'm going to be. What a weird day. Weekend for that matter. I've been on a wild ride and now this. I'm ok for the moment. Really. Just needed to put that out there.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sheknits, Wow, yeah, tell us more. How do you have a fire out on the ice? I love kids' language...'boreded' made me giggle.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Elseware, did you find that today or awhile back?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today. First REAL temptation.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow. And today you were already feeling a bit out of sorts. Good on you for putting that back in his pocket! You are so right about having to be responsible for ourselves because our DOC is not unattainable by any means. Still, that must have been a surprise.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is very peculiar how life can turn on a dime like that. I actually feel calmer. Like there's something real to fight against. Instead of feeling so nebulous. I have asked him to at least hide them. I explained it all to him for the 50 millionth time. He said he would.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing great Else

D
Old 12-15-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Else - funny you gave me praise for throwing out my pain meds. I am going to come right back at you - putting your DoC back in his pocket is so great. You have come so far and have much to be proud of. Keep posting if you need us.

Sheknits - I always thought ice fishing was a total excuse to drink. Good for you teaching your children. You are stronger than me when it comes to the cold though.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sheknits, the ice fishing looks like great fun. I have seen some of those lakes in Minnesota just covered with little huts, dare I say some looked like cottages. And I have heard that they can have all kinds of amenities like heaters(!) and TV - so you don't have to miss the game I guess. Personally you won't ever catch me driving out on a frozen lake but I suppose it's something you get used to...
Old 12-15-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi folks, trust you're all fine. A few days before reaching four months I did have a drink, if not much.

My life's okay but I'm concerned about the future- I've been working in China but plan to move on to something else in the summer. The number of yes-men around who won't take a stand when something needs attention here, regardless of adverse effects on students, is depressing. Most of them then like to insinuate it's the guy who speaks up and rocks the boat is the problem in the situation- kind of laughable. Can certainly see how Hitler et al carried it off, if that's not too extreme to say...

Nice to have a browse through your posts and well done all round of course.

Best, Sean
Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey all --

Elseware -- Lovely lady, you've been so strong. Hang in there. Wish I could fly through the internet and give you a big hug. This, too, shall pass.

And one to Advbike -- I hope you're feeling a little better tomorrow, my friend.

SheKnits -- Yup, ice-fishing is big here. Lots of it in my hometown. Glad you had fun, but brrrrr!

Kadidee & Dooner -- Good job coming through the challenges of your social events. I'm with Dee -- the party Dooner described sounds like sheer hell.

Sean! It's good to see you! I hope a healthier location can be arranged as soon as possible. Take good care of yourself.

Haven't heard from W2 or FG in a bit ... thinking of you guys.

A good weekend here. Spent much of yesterday with my best friend ... leisurely breakfast, followed by shopping. Kind of a girly day, which was perfect. Then more on my own ... ugh, the mall was a zoo and it took nearly half an hour just to get out of the parking lot. Today brought a drive to NW Wisconsin for a family get-together. It was nice.

It's a quiet Sunday night now. I've been thinking a lot about the frustrations and and hair-pulling other emotions we seem to be sharing at the moment. Rented "When a Man Loves a Woman," which comes highly recommended here on SR. Just got done watching it. It just didn't provide the insights I was hoping for ... something to which I could relate since the Recovery Fairy isn't zinging me with her "everything is perfect!" wand as the fifth month is underway. Instead, the focus of the movie is really more on the state of a marriage after a wife returns from treatment. Still, it was done well, there were snippets that resonated with me and I'd recommend it overall.

Guess I just have to continue "being" and remember the things for which I should be, and am, grateful. Lots of beer, wine and drinks today at my cousin's home, though no one was overdoing it. Not even a momentary craving. Gratitude.

May be all have a peaceful and sober week ... one as happy as it can be. You guys all mean a lot to me.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh, I think I was writing as Advbike was posting. Trust me, the ice-fishing culture is *big* here.

A couple years ago, a big scandal erupted in one of major ice-fishing locations about an hour north of the Twin Cities when entrepreneurialism went to a new level: a prostitution ring working the ice-fishing "community."

The world's coldest profession?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Venecia, that is weird, wild stuff! I mean, where?, what? I've heard it all now. That is too funny!