Notices

Grateful that made it through Thanksgiving alone

Old 12-08-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful that made it through Thanksgiving alone

I have never turned my back on a loved one.

I have stood by two older daughters in addiction...they are, Praise God, now clean and sober...

I stood by my mother over an 11 year period when my Dad had his stroke and I was going through grieving a son who died of SIDS.

I hit bottom financially last year...and they celebrated Thanksgiving together and did not invite me.

It was very hard but it showed me a truth in action that I just never ever thought would be a truth.

I can grow healthier from this truthful experience and realize that although I have never turned my back on a loved one...many have turned their backs on me...and I need to be realistic about being on my own (I always thought it was so...but didn't imagine it would be so over all the time since my son died...23 years and through so many years where I stood for them).

I need to learn and change and not stay stuck.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

irisgardens
Old 12-09-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are able to see there are lessons in experiences such as these. Sometimes it takes painful truths to nudge us out of our comfort zones. Sometimes we have to feel pain to finally acknowledge the inequities in certain relationships. Some people are more than willing to just take, take, take and never conceive of the notion they should give in return. I think it shows huge growth that you are recognizing give and take should work both ways. You deserve more, and you know it. Keep on keeping on!