Notices

Bad Dreams about Drinking

Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad Dreams about Drinking

I've got almost 30 days in. I have done that a few times, got all the way up to 90.
This time around I am going to meetings, working through my workbook and getting on here.
And now the dreams have started. Nightmares that I am drinking in the dreams. I wake up feeling in a funk.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Completly normal. ive had 3 or 4 now after 2 months. In my dreams im like crap how am I going to post to SR that I blew it..lol. Once you dont let the dreams bother you they tend to fade...keep up the good work
Old 11-20-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AG2013 View Post
Completly normal. ive had 3 or 4 now after 2 months. In my dreams im like crap how am I going to post to SR that I blew it..lol. Once you dont let the dreams bother you they tend to fade...keep up the good work

I was kind of the same. In my dream I would "feel" the old feelings about drinking. Isolation, marriage in trouble, self-hatred. Doesn't make for a good wake-up. I decided to think differently. To be thankful that it was just a dream and I am still sober.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I haven't had one for years - probably will now I've said that I do have some pretty strange dreams however. Drives me nuts.xx
Old 03-26-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just had 2.5 years sober last week and I still sometimes have these dreams. I had one just last night! But every time I have them, I feel guilty in the dream and wake up feeling relieved. Since I'm staying sober these days, I'm guessing these dreams are nothing to worry about.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm at 8 months and still have those kinds of dreams.
No biggie,I also dream about high school and that was 35 years ago.
Completely normal.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always get those dreams when I stop drinking too. It's strange how you can feel ashamed of yourself in the morning for something you did in a dream, but I suppose it's a reminder of how easy it could be to slip up IRL. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think dream alcohol is too much of a health risk.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. Air Wick here! I stopped on Saint Patricks Day Todaay was the only morning that I woke up with a feeling of being hung-over....and I had NOTHING!!! Also I felt so weak it wasn't even funny. I never had any type of discomfort except maybe a more aggravated. I never had dreams, something more I have to look forward to l.o.l.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not everyone has dreams airwick.
Maybe you were a little dehydrated this morning - that can give you hangover symptoms

D
Old 04-25-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi all, I'm glad to find others that are having relapse-related dreams and nightmares. I'm 55 days clean and sober today, by the grace of God, and have been having several nightmares that I am hiding vodka bottles and drinking all of them, and ruining my recovery. Last night I had a particularly vivid one, and I was panicking that I had ruined everything. Luckily I woke up realizing it was a dream.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking some 16 years ago I had many dreams where I was drinking, but those ended in time. I believe this is normal.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, mine seem to still come in waves.

I'm a very vivid dreamer anyway...but my drinking dreams are usually shame and emotion charged. Actually quite distressing at times.

That being said, they pass...and I try to look at the positive, that it's my mind trying to heal issues when I sleep.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I still get em. It's a recurring theme. The other theme I have is flunking out of college. I did have to withdraw from school a couple times to save my gpa, but I did graduate with a decent average. Even though I've made peace with the drinking and the school thing, my sleeping brain hasn't gotten the memo. Oh, well. My brain churns out a lot of random crap when asleep.