Class of August 2013 - Part 6

The last part is here...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-5-a.html

I now return you to your regular programming
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
w2r

We made it to Part 6!

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to every one.
I'm cooking a big turkey for 9 this weekend. My wife is horribly sick with the flu and sore throat. So I will do the honors.

I'm happy its a beautiful fall weekend starting. A lady who temps in my office just gave me a gift of 2 bottles of wine. Oh great! I will re-gift them. My wife only drinks white...these are nice reds.

I'm so enjoying the feeling of being healthy and alcohol free!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to you, w2r! Cooking for nine. What a guy! Is cooking something you like to do? Lots of work but so nice once everyone sits down together. I've always found cooking a big dinner like that makes me want to start drinking as soon as I get up in the morning. Especially holidays. So I applaud you. I haven't been able to do it very well since I stopped drinking. You sound so good. I hope you don't catch your wife's cold and that your party is a sober success! To me, this sounds like a big step for you.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi all, thanks for the new thread, Seren.

I was just catching up on posts from last night--blackbird, you are always welcome here and I love your posts, but as EQ said, do whatever is best for you right now. I don't think it matters if we quit in August then relapse and stay in August class--clearly we all support you here at whatever stage you are. I do hope that you get back to feeling good again, and I know you can do it.

foolsgold--what you said about getting complacent after 8 years and then relapsing scares the heck out of me. I guess I want to believe that if we go x number of days, weeks, months, years, then we no longer think about alcohol ever. Or, if we do slip after a period of time, then we recognize right away what's going on and stop immediately. I guess it's not that simple.

Happy Thanksgiving, w2r! What other sorts of things do you guys cook for Thanksgiving...is it similar to us (rice dressing, cranberry sauce, etc.)? I love pumpkin pie and used to make it years ago...maybe I'll try that again this year.

I'm doing a fun run tomorrow (which I will mostly walk since I haven't been running) with some people from work and looking forward to it. I'm not a fan of getting up early in the a.m., but always feel good once I'm coffeed up and out the house.

Stay strong everyone
Old 10-11-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One more thing...just remembered I wanted to comment on Johnny's post about money going to alchol. Over the last couple of months, I'll sporadically get out my calculator and figure out how much money I've saved by not drinking wine as an incentive. The number varies depending on whether I treated myself to a semi-nice bottle or went with the bottom of the barrel, but I have a decent estimate.

But then why don't I have more in savings, lol? I think I might be spending that money on other stuff that I didn't used to buy (bubble bath, lotion, chocolate, Pellegrino, candles, etc.). Some of it has gone to birthday gifts, I suppose. Dunno. But I totally related to what you said, Johnny, about 'where did that drinking money come from...it just appeared...' because I don't tend to have a whole lot more left over at the end of the month.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi folks

Here in China is a drinker's paradise, drinker's hell I mean, the stuff is a pittance and not worth getting your calculator out for. Best, S
Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kadidee. Yeah, this is a lifelong affliction. Once you're in, you're in. You're always one drink away. Didn't mean to scare anybody, but that is just the way it works. Folks with 30 years sober go back out.

I had 8 years and blew it in a really stupid way, I was in an uncomfortable new situation and I had a few beers. I remember thinking I had a little buzz just from that little bit because I was looking across the table at a young lady who was not my wife and thinking how gorgeous she was. I stopped at three that night because I realized that was the booze talking, but then I started rationalizing that I could handle it again now....

Downhill gradually from there for 6 months, quit a few weeks here and there in the next 6 months, then to the point that my last big drunk was like 3.5 liters of whiskey and vodka in 4 days, and it was like nothing, didn't even feel drunk, I could walk, talk, no problem... But I was a total ******* to my wife for about the tenth time, and she almost left me. That was my wakeup for change again.

The day after I finished those bottles is my sobriety date\join date below in my sig.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Foolsgold, that is quite a story. The perfect example of what a strange beast addiction really is. I'm glad you were able to recover again without losing your wife. You are very determined and strong.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kadidee, Exactly what I was thinking today after I posted that. Before I would not spend a dime so that I was sure to have enough money for booze. Now I am buying things to treat myself, and not flinching to spend money on soap, gas, light bulbs and all of that. If good take-out makes me come home and enjoy watching TV I spend the money on it. Also my drink of choice lately has become Coconut water. So I mix it with seltzer and drink it all the time. It's not too expensive if you buy generic.

So I find I have no extra either. But better spent on that stuff than booze.

I have realized since FoolsGold mentioned the obsessing that I need to address my OCD. One of the antidepressants I've tried knocked it right out. No more constant ruminating and worrying. This mattress thing was stupid I should have just stuck with it. It's a fine mid-high end mattress.

Can always re-buy. So now to just enjoy Florida. I really want to take the rental car out of the equation because my father has completely lost his mind. He's 82 and insane. I'd rather walk across Florida than deal with his stupidity and and asinine behavior. He's ruining the trip for me.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anything good on netflix or anything? I got through Lost and Game of Thrones. I don't think I want to get addicted to another TV show though because I stay up all night watching till 4am. Then I sleep until 1 or 2 and I won't do that anymore.

Movies? I'm going to look
Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Johnny, my obvious question on the car. Why can't your friend just rent the thing?

Netflix movie: The Lincoln Lawyer. There is some drinking in the movie, but that's not the topic.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Johnny, I loved "The Walking Dead." It's a lot more than a show about Zombies. You might like it, if you haven't seen it. Or "Sons of Anarchy", if you ever want to think about TV shows again.....
Old 10-11-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Elseware, I think my story is just so dumb. I was so used to ordering something non-alcoholic by then, but my mouth just wouldn't say the words, I stuttered a few times said I couldn't decide and then finally ended up saying Corona.

I knew at least half these people, but was meeting the other half in person for the first time, and was just in the process of negotiating on converting from being a contractor to an employee for the company. I usually have no peer pressure issues, but I was nervous, and I'm just not very social. It's not an excuse, it's just the way it happened.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

On netflix...I'm on another series, but I don't feel compelled to stay up watching one after the other like I did with Lost.

It's called The Wire, it's 5 seasons, and it explores the drug world in Baltimore. Each season takes it from a different perspective (drug lords, cops, politicians, etc.).

I just watched a great movie: Wired (although it has a similar name, not related to the series above).

Also, have you seen Argo yet?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

DudesGold, you're story is not dumb. You're sick. We all are. It's a real illness. I know it's easy to regret, I do it constantly. How long did you drink after the 8 years sober? I missed that.

She can't rent it because she has no license, no credit card. She's 'special.' She has a trust but can't really take care of bills and all that. A genius in a way, but totally impractical. That's why the trust allows for her to take a 'chaperone' ME.

This is a game with my father, he likes to build me up and then ruin me. Jerk. Can't wait to get free of this. That is why my sister is so ticked at him right now. And he won't back down and admit he's wrong. Its MY card that he co-signed with a $1200 limit. I am buying $40 a day insurance with a $2 MILLION liability coverage. It's crash and walk insurance. "I would never never never co-sign on anything for anyone ever again, this is the worst thing I ever decided to do in my life, blah blah blah!! If something happens they come after me!!" Well no they don't, I'm the driver. He is utterly nutso.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

foolsgold, your story is NOT dumb at all, and I really appreciate your sharing it. I think it is a testament to how the beast is always lurking beneath (sounds like horror movie lingo, but I don't know how else to describe it). And, from bits and pieces that I've picked up here on SR, it's not uncommon. I'm glad that you got back on track and that your marriage is intact.

I have a close friend who was sober for many years. Then, he started drinking again because felt like he was missing out on social occasions at work. Got progressively worse, drinking alone, etc., so back on the wagon for several more years. Then, he had just 'one beer'...and it led to progressively more of the same old same old. He is now in the process of trying to get sober again.

I really appreciate when folks on SR who relapse after numerous years of sobriety share their stories because it reiterates how big this problem is. I've said here before that I have a hard time thinking of 'forever' and catch myself thinking that 'one day' I'll be able to be a social drinker again. Everything I've learned throughout this process of quitting tells me otherwise, and yet, my mind still goes there.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is putting a jinx on the whole thing.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Johnny, nothing is going to jinx it or go wrong. Y'all are going to have a great time. I really enjoy public transportation, actually, because you can read while someone else drives. And the bikes would be good exercise.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Elseware, I think my story is just so dumb. I was so used to ordering something non-alcoholic by then, but my mouth just wouldn't say the words, I stuttered a few times said I couldn't decide and then finally ended up saying Corona.

I knew at least half these people, but was meeting the other half in person for the first time, and was just in the process of negotiating on converting from being a contractor to an employee for the company. I usually have no peer pressure issues, but I was nervous, and I'm just not very social. It's not an excuse, it's just the way it happened.
The point is you have insight now about how it happened.... and that is the very opposite of dumb!
Plus your share is very instructive for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Kadi, I want to do public transportation, it is just almost impossible to get from disney to Sanibel.

I'll stop complaining about it. I won't even talk to him till I leave. I'll just use the card.