Administrator

Class of December 2012 - Part 9

last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-8-a-20.html

D
Old 10-04-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks Dee, and good nite/good morning to everyone. A fresh thread is like clean sheets!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Goodness, that went quickly. I wonder if we can get to 12 before the end of the year? One per month?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.The thread has been busy

Thanks for all your advice on my friend. It's good to know I wasn't overreacting and that others would also have been annoyed. I do think it is the sponsored not drinking thing in the UK for Octsober that she's doing. I've decided to do nothing. We don't speak often now anyway and I don't want to get into a discussion on the phone about how annoyed I was which will then lead to more details about drinking and recovery. Anyway I'm just going to let it lie. sometimes it's for the best.

I hope everyone is well.Can't believe it's October already,the year is flying by!

Happy Sober Saturday everyone.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi guys...thanks to Alice for a tremendously open post. Lots of great advice and experience to learn from there.

I am starting to function better today. On our way to the mall since it's a rainy day and kids are going crazy. My wife truly deserves a medal for putting up with me. She is burdened by my alcoholism and depression, I'm useless with the kids when I'm like this, so self-centred. Still I think I need to get better before I can help them. Anyways, I'll slowly pick myself up off the ground but it won't happen overnight. I'm in 3 SR monthly classes at the moment...posting like a mad man!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome back Sobermarathon
Old 10-05-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
welcome back Sobermarathon
Thanks ready at last! I'm back for all the support I can get. Had 74 days up until last week and then blew it. Got to make it stick this time or it will kill me. I just know it and feel it. Finding the strength to recover this time is very tough. If it were up to me I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hi all

Alice, she is very energetic, she runs laps in the yard and she loves to play. But she also loves to sleep. She is the best dog ever, sweet and a nice disposition. She is 45 lbs and had a very scary sounding bark but wouldn't hurt a fly. We also have two cats and I love them. All of our pets are rescues and I think in general, that's how people should get their pets. I would not be ok with the friend giving away puppies. Ugh.

Sobermarathon, I have a job that also requires me to wine and dine clients. I just don't drink. My first conference was at 4 months sober and I thought about it: no one at work knows that I had a problem.... They all knew I liked to drink, what would they care? But I know me, know that it would never be just one. I go to AA, have a sponsor, hit 3-4 meetings a week. I'm not into the God thing, but I like the people and the accountability.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Tam, it sounds like you have some fun plans for your weekend!

My weekend is work and errands. And AA step work. My sponsor was away all summer, I saw her just a couple of times although we talked almost daily, but she's gearing up for fall mode & I seem to be on her to-do list. She wants me to finish my 4th step. I'm going to try to just push through it. I really don't want to. "Hmmm, I think I'll spend my Saturday afternoons resurrecting old horrors from my past, just to watch how they mess w/my mind. Golly gee, that sounds like fun!"

(Sorry for the whine)
Old 10-05-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Courage that sounds horrific. But therapeutic!

I'm enjoying a long weekend, which feels even longer because daylight savings has ended. I'm actually glad about that, since it means it's only 10.30 and not 11.30 - because I've not done a shred of uni work this weekend so far.

I've started telling close friends about the kidney tumour and upcoming biopsy. It's been weird. I don't know if I like it (them knowing I mean, not the act of telling them, that's not pleasant at all). I wasn't sure about telling people cause I don't want to worry them, but if it turns out to be cancer I think it's kinder to give them some time to process what's happening while there's still a good chance of good news. One friend became really nervous, I think worried about saying the wrong thing. Another looked like she was going to cry, which is not what I wanted! But they've both said "thank you" for telling them, so I'll keep going with my other close friends (2 knew from the start so that leaves only 2 to go - I am really blessed to have so many close friends actually, I was thinking about it and there are 6 people that I'm telling who are close to me).

In other, more terrifying news - I have bees!!!! (used up my whole smiley face allocation there).

They appear to either have made a nest/hive under the house or are scoping out the space for a potential hive. They are entering via the 'air brick' (google it if you don't know the term, it took me ages to figure out what they were called) that is right next to the front door of the house. So I have to get rid of them somehow. Bleh.

Anyone had experience with bees? There have only been about 6 or 8 that I've seen out at once, and they are going in and out at the rate of about 1-4 per minute. Monday is the public holiday, and I am in for my biopsy on Tuesday, so hopefully my SO can sort it out while I'm at hospital so I don't have to worry about it haha!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

no bee advice here I'm afraid Alice...but if it is a hive it's probably best to let a pest guy take a look?

D
Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

No experience w/bees, tho I do know what an air brick is -- I forget where you live?

In Arizona we had a paper wasp hive on our patio right above where we sat. Turns out they move hives every year, so rather than force them out, we just waited them out. Paper wasps don't bother people much if people don't bother them.

I'd watch them a bit & try to figure out what they are & what they're doing -- they may be poor lost souls w/out a queen, or are they truly establishing a hive? And seek professional advice. We had a program at our local university that gave out lots of good information on all our local deadly species: tarantulas, scorpions, rattlesnakes etc.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Evening all, just stopping in before the game starts, fairly good weekend so far, got a bit done today, sprinklers blown out etc. Also got the pilot lit on the fireplace so have been enjoying that tonight. Not much else going on.

Alice if you go to a hardware store or a big box home store you can get cans of foaming bee & wasp spray. It's got a little tip on it to focus it and you can spray it from 4m away. The only thing is you have to do it very early or late at night when they go dormant. You could do it during the day but that depends how fast you can run. Just spray it over the areas you think they are setting up and you'll know right away. It foams up like shaving cream so it is easy to cover the areas.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Howdy all! Hey gonzo, how are you doing with your meds? Are they helping?

Alice.... call and exterminator. I myself am allergic to bees, so I don't mess around with them. In other bug news, we had a big spider that fell on my son's blanket while he slept. The fact that he felt it enough through a heavy comforter and woke up at 2 AM should be an indication of how big it was. Oh Florida! Lol

I downloaded the newest ios for my phone and now my phone won't turn on. And my computer crapped out a little while ago but because I have a Kindle and an iPhone, I hadn't rushed to get the computer fixed... the only way to fix the phone is to hook it up to itunes... so I'm waitibg for a genius now
Old 10-06-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

About to start a new week and the last one simply flew by. Met up with my brother yesterday and we had a lovely relaxing afternoon. Today I've had a nice family day with my kids and it's much calmer than last weekend thankfully! Change always happens slowly for me so once I'm patient things eventually work themselves out...
Looking forward to a good night's sleep now before my alarm goes in the morning
Have a good Sunday night everyone whatever your time- zone!!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi, Sunday evening here, met w/someone from AA for coffee and then went to a step meeting. I'm the speaker at a meeting Thursday -- it will be my fourth time, every time is different. Pretty much all the above because my sponsor thinks I need to work on making human connections. I see this from both sides:

A Side: Big "Duh" because well, obviously, the most reliable part of my mental makeup is avoidance/negation of human connections. And my mental makeup & avoidance behaviors turned me into a drunk. So I should act in ways that change the mental makeup.

B Side: There's a reason I avoid people, which is they make me crazy, hence maybe I should avoid things that make me crazy. Because they make me crazy, which makes me want to drink.

Coin toss?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

not sure if I have a response to that courage.

D
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
p***enger

Email just now to me: "Have to come in a day early next week, so are you available for lunch on thursday?"

My reply: "I have meeting then teach until 2:30 -- sorry. Maybe coffee at 3?"

His reply: "Sounds like a plan - or wine? I could look for a wine bar somewhere in the vicinity. Or I could bring a bottle to your office?"

How long before I'm not the person for whom "3 p.m. bottle in your office" sounds like the better plan?

Sorry for being a thread hog -- I seem to be on edge tonight.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
not sure if I have a response to that courage.

D
Don't flip coins. Trudge, trudge, trudge.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

do many people know you're a non drinker Courage?

as for the avoiding human connection/people making you crazy thing...I've never got that vibe off you here on SR, so...I dunno, lol

D