Notices

Uncovered, Discovered, Discarded

Old 08-02-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Naturalist

Uncovered, Discovered, Discarded

To those who have known me in AA for the last 28 years, my newly revealed spiritual evolution might sound sudden and revolutionary. They are those who might have made the same reflexive assumptions and practiced the essentially thoughtless theological shorthand that I did for many years, but really my self discovery is no more nor less revolutionary than recovery in AA: Uncover, Discover, Discard; Rigorous Honesty; Not clinging to old ideas; One day at a time.
It became obvious to me as I reconsidered my Fourth and Fifth steps that there was nothing supernatural in my life, nor had there ever been. When I looked honestly at the spiritual assumptions I held, I found that they were rooted in insuperable, highly questionable reports, whishfull thinking and the appropriation of apocryphal accounts and hearsay evidence, all of which I've now come to refer to as "swamp gas."

The more I pursued the origins of the dogmas of the religions with which I was familiar and the foundations of the"faith" affirmed by those around me, the less credible it all became. Letting go of the incredible and supernatural was and is one of the most refreshing and Life affirming discoveries of my continuing journey. It's like coming out of a phantasmagoric mist into a balmy Spring meadow.

Recovery, as I read it, depends upon what I do, not on what I believe. There is no requirement for faith or gods or anything supernatural in our program, and no dilution of the message is created when we substitute "Life" for "God" in any of the slogans or sentences in our Big Book or Twelve and Twelve.
I have not turned around (repented) my beliefs, I have simply become a Naturalist. To practice the spiritual principles of patience, tolerance, kindliness and love in all my affairs; To trust today to be exactly as it should be is my hope and my joy.
I pray — not to change some spirits mind, but to change my mind.
I pray this prayer:

May there be cultivated within
me an abiding confidence that
everything is as it should be,
and an acceptance of this
moment as my only reality.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Craaig View Post

Recovery, as I read it, depends upon what I do, not on what I believe. There is no requirement for faith or gods or anything supernatural...
"Remember only this; you need not believe the ideas, you need not accept them, and you need not even welcome them. Some of this you may actually resist. None of this will matter, or decrease their efficacy. But do not allow yourself to make exceptions in applying the ideas the workbook contains, and whatever your reactions to the ideas may be, use them. Nothing more than that is required."
(Helen Schucman - A Course in Miracles)
Old 08-03-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Naturalist

There are no chapters in the Big Book entitled "Into Faith" or "Into Belief" only "Into Action." If patience, tolerance, kindliness and love are not spiritual principles, what are they? I can understand them and practice them in all my affairs, does that mean they are not, by your tag line, spiritual? I have been using them for twenty-eight years, plus.
I find that a regular review of old ideas protects me from clinging to them.
Works for me.
Love, Craaig
Old 08-03-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are no chapters in the Big Book entitled "Into Faith" or "Into Belief" only "Into Action." If patience, tolerance, kindliness and love are not spiritual principles, what are they? I can understand them and practice them in all my affairs, does that mean they are not, by your tag line, spiritual? I have been using them for twenty-eight years, plus.
I find that a regular review of old ideas protects me from clinging to them.
Works for me.
Love, Craaig
Nice!

I also value reviewing of old thoughts and beliefs. I think it's very healthy, especially in recovery.

Nice thread.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Naturalist

Thanks, Jennie.

I pray this prayer:

Love, Craaig
Old 08-03-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jennie.

I pray this prayer:

Love, Craaig
That's a great prayer, I think I'll write it down
Old 11-19-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your post. It came up on a google search of "Uncovered, Discovered, Discarded"

I liked it so much I wanted to say so and i needed to register to do that so you have 12th stepped me into this forum. Thanks so much

An incredibly grateful person in recovery.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Naturalist

It's gratifying to know that others find the path of self-discovery a viable course for recovery. It is sometimes obscured in our current AA herd mentality. AA started as one person talking to another, and that's still the most effective course. Meetings and forums are swell, but for me they are the way to find others with whom to dialogue one-to-one. Thanks for your comments.
Love, Craig
Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Naturalist

Ooops!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us"

God has a sense of humour though..... He put a piece of himself in the last place any alchy would think to look.

That's why prayer changes your mind.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by postcrystal View Post
Thanks so much for your post. It came up on a google search of "Uncovered, Discovered, Discarded"
Clarence Snyder and Chuck Chamberlain used to talk about it a lot.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I came across this thread while googling uncover - discover - discard. After 27 years of sobriety I have finally been able to remove the "God bug" from my head! It only took 54 years of catechism, theological study, prayer, fasting, alcoholism, recovery, reevaluating my former beliefs, study with priests, rabbis, Buddhists, agnostics and atheists.

I still practice my program and join in with fellow members at meetings and have recognized that there are others who have the same understanding yet can join in with members of faith. Love and tolerance. Unity-recovery-service.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I found this quote:

I think a spiritual journey is not so much a journey of discovery but a journey of uncovering your own inner nature. It's already there.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
I think a spiritual journey is not so much a journey of discovery but a journey of uncovering your own inner nature. It's already there.
Sounds like Buddha Nature or the Original Mind described in Buddhism.