Step 5, 6 and 7 Done on the Same Day

When I did the process my sponsor also did
Steps 6 and 7 with me concluding with the
7th. Step Prayer on our knees.

He then sent me home and told me to meditate
for an hour or so and call if anything else came up
and we would discuss it. Afterwards he instructed
me to list anyone from my 4th. Step on a blank
sheet of paper with no notes - just names.

After that, he said to bring all paperwork from the
4th. and the list to him. He then told me to burn
my 4th Step papers and hold on to my list since
that would be the start of my 8th. Step.

Has anybody done the process this way ?
What do you think about doing it this way ?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I did the fifth step, my sponsor told me to go home and be contemplative for an hour, considering if I had missed anything, because I was building an arch through which I could walk (page 75). She told me I could burn my writing, or perform some other ritual to complete the experience, that was up to me. She emphasized the importance of one hour alone in contemplation.

We didn't do 6 & 7 at that time. I spent some time on 6. The big book doesn't say much about six and seven, only one paragraph each. I needed to pray for the willingness to let go of my defects, I wasn't ready that day. It took me some time to be "entirely ready." Because I was pretty attached to some of my defects, like the one where I act superior to everyone to cover up my insecurities, for example. It took me about 6 weeks to ponder 6 and then do 7. I used the book "Drop the Rock" which I realize is not AA approved literature, but extremely helpful nonetheless!! Once I said the prayer, my sponsor told me it was up to God to remove the defect and my job was to "act as if" the defect was removed. The next few months were very frustrating, as I kept behaving defectively, and then catching myself!!! It's kind of funny to me now!!

Anyway, that's what I did. So far, so good. Many people close to me have seen a major change in me, I did't always see it myself. Just recently, I have started to feel it, I feel different. I'm not the same person. Friday will be 8 months sober, and that truly is a miracle!!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kathleen41 View Post
When I did the fifth step, my sponsor told me to go home and be contemplative for an hour, considering if I had missed anything, because I was building an arch through which I could walk (page 75). She told me I could burn my writing, or perform some other ritual to complete the experience, that was up to me. She emphasized the importance of one hour alone in contemplation.

We didn't do 6 & 7 at that time. I spent some time on 6. The big book doesn't say much about six and seven, only one paragraph each. I needed to pray for the willingness to let go of my defects, I wasn't ready that day. It took me some time to be "entirely ready." Because I was pretty attached to some of my defects, like the one where I act superior to everyone to cover up my insecurities, for example. It took me about 6 weeks to ponder 6 and then do 7. I used the book "Drop the Rock" which I realize is not AA approved literature, but extremely helpful nonetheless!! Once I said the prayer, my sponsor told me it was up to God to remove the defect and my job was to "act as if" the defect was removed. The next few months were very frustrating, as I kept behaving defectively, and then catching myself!!! It's kind of funny to me now!!

Anyway, that's what I did. So far, so good. Many people close to me have seen a major change in me, I didn't always see it myself. Just recently, I have started to feel it, I feel different. I'm not the same person. Friday will be 8 months sober, and that truly is a miracle!!
That is awesome Kathleen. It sounds like your sponsor is a real pro with the step process. My sponsor said there is not a lot on Step 6 or 7 because they are basically prayers that are a finishing touch to Steps 4 & 5.

Bill W. expanded 6 & 7 greatly in the 12X12 but it was aimed at "living problems' after alky's started encountering life's problems other than alcohol.

Your "psychic change" sounds like mine to a degree. I did not feel much for about 2 weeks - kind of empty inside. Then I woke up one morning and realized that I no longer had urges to drink. The urges have never returned in the last 27 years from that day. That was my awakening, very subtle.

As far as left over defects, my sponsor told me that HP just removes the ones I can't do for myself and its my job to work on the ones I can change. That's why life is school for me. When I learn the lesson I go to the next grade - no graduation in the dimension of "time & space" though. Maybe in the next dimension.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I did it like you did, UM. the only difference is that I made the 8th step list, then burnt the rest after. Of course 6 and 7 are never done, but I made my first pass on them that evening, and as I started my 8th that same evening, I had to let everything sink in. Needless to say, the next day or two I had to decompress and just let what happened absorb. I needed to just be. That week, as mentally and emotionally tired as I may have started, I got lighter and lighter and happier and happier. I was on a high, skip in my step kind of high. That quick process of bang, bang, bang, was what I needed to reap the benefits of those steps. I knew in my heart that I couldn't sit on those steps as much as I couldn't sit on the first three. I needed relief and needed it quickly.

Drop the Rock is a wonderful read, and the 12 & 12 essays on them are brilliant. So those keep chugging along. And I have to say, from where I stand, 6 & 7 are the most important ones for me, on an ongoing process, up there with 3.

Great post!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
I did it like you did, UM. the only difference is that I made the 8th step list, then burnt the rest after. Of course 6 and 7 are never done, but I made my first pass on them that evening, and as I started my 8th that same evening, I had to let everything sink in. Needless to say, the next day or two I had to decompress and just let what happened absorb. I needed to just be. That week, as mentally and emotionally tired as I may have started, I got lighter and lighter and happier and happier. I was on a high, skip in my step kind of high. That quick process of bang, bang, bang, was what I needed to reap the benefits of those steps. I knew in my heart that I couldn't sit on those steps as much as I couldn't sit on the first three. I needed relief and needed it quickly.

Drop the Rock is a wonderful read, and the 12 & 12 essays on them are brilliant. So those keep chugging along. And I have to say, from where I stand, 6 & 7 are the most important ones for me, on an ongoing process, up there with 3.

Great post!
My belief is that the newcomer should be walked thru the Steps very soon after they walk into AA. Survival on the fellowship or "improvement" as the BB calls it can be fatal.

You might be interested in my breakdown of Step 10 in Post #28 on the Thread entitled "What the BB Says About Step 10" on this Forum. Most people are not aware of the 5 parts of the 10th. Step and how important they are to staying clean & sober as well as happy, joyous and free. By working the 5 parts, we are working 4-9 on a regular basis so we don't fall prey to sliding into "smug complacency."
Old 07-02-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Gonna check it out!

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did it the same way as you Uncle Meat, except the burning part. I think it makes sense. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by youbetcha View Post
I did it the same way as you Uncle Meat, except the burning part. I think it makes sense. Thanks for the post.
The burning part was symbolic for me of letting go of the past.
It appears to have worked in my subconscious because fire is
a symbol that consumes.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I went to my sponsor`s house, we prayed,and I went over my inventory with him.He then sent me home to finish step 5 alone with God
to get my big book and go over the first 5 steps and get re-honest with myself
to spend one hour alone with God and to thank Him I know Him better.

If I was satisfied,then I went to step 6
2 questions
1.do i want God to remove those character defects on my inventory?
yes
2.do i think He can and will if i ask Him?
sure

then on to step 7
I used the prayer in the Big book,on my knees.
My sponsor said when i got thru,and got up off my knees,I would step thru the archway to freedom a free man
and I then had all the tools to remain a free man.

remember the references to building a archway earlier on in the big book?
my archway was complete,it wasn`t a shack or the taj maj hall but it was my archway to God and a better life

it looks better every day

I still have my inventory in a old desk drawer,and I used it to make a list for step 8
I use it now to help new guys
I sometimes show them some things in it to help them see how a inventory looks like etc,that we did the same things and to show them there is nothing to fear by doing it.It is kind of a "removal list" and also a prelude to step 5.

the inventory helped me get honest with myself and helped me get honest with God and another human being in that 5th step

thats why I mention it considering we are talking on steps 5-7

I was insane when I did the things written on my inventory.God has returned my sanity to me.I was reborn.I am not ashamed of that past any more.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
I went to my sponsor`s house, we prayed,and I went over my inventory with him.He then sent me home to finish step 5 alone with God
to get my big book and go over the first 5 steps and get re-honest with myself
to spend one hour alone with God and to thank Him I know Him better.

If I was satisfied,then I went to step 6
2 questions
1.do i want God to remove those character defects on my inventory?
yes
2.do i think He can and will if i ask Him?
sure

then on to step 7
I used the prayer in the Big book,on my knees.
My sponsor said when i got thru,and got up off my knees,I would step thru the archway to freedom a free man
and I then had all the tools to remain a free man.

remember the references to building a archway earlier on in the big book?
my archway was complete,it wasn`t a shack or the taj maj hall but it was my archway to God and a better life

it looks better every day

I still have my inventory in a old desk drawer,and I used it to make a list for step 8
I use it now to help new guys
I sometimes show them some things in it to help them see how a inventory looks like etc,that we did the same things and to show them there is nothing to fear by doing it.It is kind of a "removal list" and also a prelude to step 5.

the inventory helped me get honest with myself and helped me get honest with God and another human being in that 5th step

thats why I mention it considering we are talking on steps 5-7

I was insane when I did the things written on my inventory.God has returned my sanity to me.I was reborn.I am not ashamed of that past any more.
That's classic BB Tommy. It really works so well. I had my psychic change about 2weeks later after my first 2 amends. The burning of Step 4 is optional and is not stated in the BB. It works both ways I'm sure, since you said you didn't do the burn. I liked the idea of sharing some with sponsees.