Notices

Prime insomniac

Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prime insomniac

Dear sleepless,

I've been pretty despondent on the the forums lately, but I need to address this problem as much as any addiction. I guess my addiction spawned from a desire to sleep. A few wines to get me off.

I average about 3 hours a night of disjointed sleep and wake up an absolute wreck, whilst still managing to hold down a full time job. Sleep evades me at the best of times and the worst, it's just not something I'm compatible with.

I've tried the over the counter drugs and a trip to the doctors who again advised me to try a month without any meds AND to add insult to injury to make sure the room was dark where I slept - a blackout blind good enough?

Your thoughts, suggestions and input would be gratefully appreciated. How is it you're coping with the problem, or just enduring a day after no sleep.

Thank you so much friends. X
Old 06-23-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Panache,

Hope your doing well. I've seen your posts on the "June Class" thread as well and noticed you haven't been active there.

I've been sober a long time and I am one on those people who doesn't require a lot of sleep, maybe 4 or 5 hours at the most. I guess I'm nocturnal for the most part and it's been that way for a long time. However, when I was drinking it was a completely different story.

I think for now maybe follow the Doc's advice and see what happens. I know it kinda tough right now with everything happening at once, but at least you're tackling the big problem... which i'm assuming is the alcohol. I guess your going to have to decide which is the lesser of the two evils at the present time.

I do take an over the counter sleep aid (otherwise I'd never sleep ) that contains Doxylamine Succinate. It helps and doesn't make me irritable like some of the others, which just makes matters worse.

Mind you, I'm not a doctor so use your best judgement. I know the one that didn't help much and made me real cranky contained Diphenhydramine. Might want to look at the labels carefully if you decide to try them again.

I noticed you reference playing xbox and was curious if your playing just before you go to bed. I know for myself I had to stop the xbox about an hour or more before bed because it really got me wound up ..... you know...killing all those bad guys and sticking it to your online friends. Just an idea, maybe you're more disciplined than I

Peace and take care of yourself. Things will work out, one step at at time.

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Dear sleepless,

I've been pretty despondent on the the forums lately, but I need to address this problem as much as any addiction. I guess my addiction spawned from a desire to sleep. A few wines to get me off.

I average about 3 hours a night of disjointed sleep and wake up an absolute wreck, whilst still managing to hold down a full time job. Sleep evades me at the best of times and the worst, it's just not something I'm compatible with.

I've tried the over the counter drugs and a trip to the doctors who again advised me to try a month without any meds AND to add insult to injury to make sure the room was dark where I slept - a blackout blind good enough?

Your thoughts, suggestions and input would be gratefully appreciated. How is it you're coping with the problem, or just enduring a day after no sleep.

Thank you so much friends. X
Old 06-23-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Panache,

Have you ever had any sleep studies done? Sometimes they can identify issues which cause this, such as sleep apnea, etc.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank, or so I convinced myself, for the same reason: sleep. I've realized that my inability to sleep without a drink was actually my addiction protecting itself. There is obviously a physical reason behind the inability to sleep after dependence takes hold, but I am convinced that our addiction loves to grab hold of that and use it to its advantage.

It takes time. Really, time is the only way to overcome this. I went through the list of so called "sleep aids" and they only resulted in more frustration. Ultimately, you have to drop the obsession with not being able to sleep or it simply ramps up your anxiety which in turn keeps you from sleeping. A vicious cycle.

I am 6.5 months sober and things have finally returned to normal the last two months or so. Give it time and you will get there. Good luck!