Class of January 2013 Part 9

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-8-a-21.html

D
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Posting to make sure I have the link
I hope everyone is doing good. I love Southern food, a good friend of mine's boyfriend works at fairs in the summer time selling Gumbo and Alligator Kebabs. He always bring us what is left and I just LOVE eating gator.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Liz,
I find that my wife is right 90% of the time, and the other 10% she is not wrong. I ate later today, just wasn't hungry this a.m. She fixed shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta tonight - primo!

How's that avatar coming?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to hear you're on the road to recovery, W.

By the way, all you authorities, vegemite is NOT our national dish, it's much better than the English marmite, and is an acquired taste for those with refined palates...

Tucker means food and, since many of you need educating, please refer to one of our national songs for some more essential language acquisition: Australian Songs, Waltzing Matilda, Lyrics and Music

Liz, I think we've all tried the return to moderate drinking at some stage - what a joke! - for me, anyway!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Good to hear you're on the road to recovery, W.

By the way, all you authorities, vegemite is NOT our national dish, it's much better than the English marmite, and is an acquired taste for those with refined palates...

Tucker means food and, since many of you need educating, please refer to one of our national songs for some more essential language acquisition: Australian Songs, Waltzing Matilda, Lyrics and Music

Liz, I think we've all tried the return to moderate drinking at some stage - what a joke! - for me, anyway!
Reeny,
Thanks. I checked out the site - very interesting. I once spent two weeks in Perth and enjoyed myself immensely - maybe the most beautiful city I've every visited. Auckland and Christchurch, NZ are right up there too. These two countries are very attractive. I know that's a blanket statement, but it comes from having spent about 4 collective months down there. The natural beauty of the land/sea scape and fierce independence of the people there are unparalleled.
Best,
W
Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
Liz,
I find that my wife is right 90% of the time, and the other 10% she is not wrong. I ate later today, just wasn't hungry this a.m. She fixed shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta tonight - primo!

How's that avatar coming?
Smart man. You'll have a long and happy marriage with that attitude! And finally, some mention of edible food from the South. Do you think Mrs. Wood would be averse to a dozen or so recovering alcoholics from all corners of the earth showing up on the doorstep for dinner sometime? :-) Yum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
golden flake_2.JPG (55.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizG View Post
Smart man. You'll have a long and happy marriage with that attitude! And finally, some mention of edible food from the South. Do you think Mrs. Wood would be averse to a dozen or so recovering alcoholics from all corners of the earth showing up on the doorstep for dinner sometime? :-) Yum!
Come on down! We have plenty of room, but if we have overflow I have a hunting shack about 30 minutes away in an area that will provide the ultimate redneck experience.

I love the abominated cracklin' package! Hilarious!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Come on down! We have plenty of room, but if we have overflow I have a hunting shack about 30 minutes away in an area that will provide the ultimate redneck experience.
Reeny could catch a quick flight from Hobart, Dee & the Aussies one from SYD, Siesta and Carlotta could swing in from the West Coast, I could shoot down to NYC and pick up Dorothy. The remainder of our classmates from far and wide could meet up with the Southeners, who could paddle everybody down their respective bayous to Alabama, where in 37 degree heat we’d sit in your huntin’ shack & go fetch our own food … Or, barring the availability of any 4-legged friends to slaughter, eat packaged fried animal skin, all washed down with some cornbread-onion milk. Sounds delightful. Thank you & count me in!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reeny could catch a quick flight from Hobart, Dee & the Aussies one from SYD, Siesta and Carlotta could swing in from the West Coast, I could shoot down to NYC and pick up Dorothy. The remainder of our classmates from far and wide could meet up with the Southeners, who could paddle everybody down their respective bayous to Alabama, where in 37 degree heat we’d sit in your huntin’ shack & go fetch our own food … Or, barring the availability of any 4-legged friends to slaughter, eat packaged fried animal skin, all washed down with some cornbread-onion milk. Sounds delightful. Thank you & count me in!
Outstanding! I'll trap a few possums and start feeding them corn so we'll have plenty to eat!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's funny, Liz! Well played.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Outstanding! I'll trap a few possums and start feeding them corn so we'll have plenty to eat!
Why would you feed your pets our food?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
That's funny, Liz! Well played.
Ha! Thanks :-) It was the best I could do without photoshop ...
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Why would you feed your pets our food?
Roasted possum - I want you to have the full southern experience. Maybe one afternoon we'll cook up some chitlins and poke salad.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok, it's too early in the morning for the idea of vegemite crackling...LOL

D
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am a day's drive from there. I'll bring grits, a must on any southern breakfast menu. Shrimp and Grits for dinner =also delicious!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great praise for our land down under, Wood. And, yes, I'm up for the feast!

But ... really struggling today. My son's home from uni and I'm trying to spend less time at work ... only to realise that, for months now, I've been cramming way too much into every day. Gym 1st thing, work until 7, home for dinner & chores, and then bed. Having had a few "normal days" now, I'm feeling restless and looking for an out - you all know what that means. Guess I've just been avoiding stuff again (What? Why?) and now I'm having to white knuckle it again - at almost 6 months sober!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe this is a good opportunity to start face and dealing with a normal non workaholic life Reeny?

The more you do it the easier it gets....

Cravings are ok - we can feel what whatever, doesn't mean we have to coddle those feelings

D
Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Maybe this is a good opportunity to start face and dealing with a normal non workaholic life Reeny?

The more you do it the easier it gets....

Cravings are ok - we can feel what whatever, doesn't mean we have to coddle those feelings

D
Thank you, Dee. You're right, of course. Time to slow things down and watch the cravings from a safe distance.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry you're feeling some restlessness, Reeny. You deserve a lot of respect for doing whatever it takes to not go back to drinking. I hope you and your son enjoy the time together while he's home from school.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
But ... really struggling today. My son's home from uni and I'm trying to spend less time at work ... only to realise that, for months now, I've been cramming way too much into every day. Gym 1st thing, work until 7, home for dinner & chores, and then bed. Having had a few "normal days" now, I'm feeling restless and looking for an out - you all know what that means. Guess I've just been avoiding stuff again (What? Why?) and now I'm having to white knuckle it again - at almost 6 months sober!
Reeny -- Hang tough! You mentioned recently that your 3 sons don’t drink very often, and that you would ask them one day -- when you could handle the answer -- if your actions had had any influence on their decision not to overindulge. You can’t go backwards, but going forward is this not a good motivator not to pick up? i.e., that even if the worst possible answer is, “Yes, Mum, we don’t drink because we saw what it did to you and (paternal) grandfather,” that they will then add, “but we’re proud that you’re not drinking now…” Stay strong!
L.
p.s. I hope I haven’t overstepped ... Now that I’m no longer in teflon robot mode, I do actually care if something I’ve said comes off as intrusive or harsh.