Notices

Proposed Convention for Agnostics, Atheists in AA

Old 05-26-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Proposed Convention for Agnostics, Atheists in AA

Very recently I have learned that an Atheists, Agnostics AA group out in the L.A. California area has been planning a convention to discuss AA issues for skeptics or non believers. It will be held in November of next year (2014). Interested persons can Email them at <weagconvention******.com> or call at cellphone number 818 915 3380. The person I spoke with is Dorothy H.
Although I am not a card carrying agnostic, much less an atheist, I am very much interested in ways to help non believers benefit from the many good things which I personally have found possible within the AA framework The proposal to have a national or international convention to discuss these issues seems to me an enormous step forward.

W.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

I'm pretty much a card carrying atheist, so I'd be interested.

I think one thing I'd like to see is the word 'God' left out at agnostic meetings, and reading the same things over and over about god this, and god that, and replacing this with something more suited to atheists/agnostics/humanists. The agnostic meeting here feels way too much like church, for me.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being called "non-believers" is part of the problem. We are simply people who believe differently. So sad that people think we are just lost souls. As long as AA is trying to "carry the message" (that is god based if you read the big book) to the heathens....not much is going to change in helping...maybe in converting...

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Very recently I have learned that an Atheists, Agnostics AA group out in the L.A. California area has been planning a convention to discuss AA issues for skeptics or non believers. It will be held in November of next year (2014). Interested persons can Email them at <weagconvention******.com> or call at cellphone number 818 915 3380. The person I spoke with is Dorothy H.
Although I am not a card carrying agnostic, much less an atheist, I am very much interested in ways to help non believers benefit from the many good things which I personally have found possible within the AA framework The proposal to have a national or international convention to discuss these issues seems to me an enormous step forward.

W.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
Being called "non-believers" is part of the problem. We are simply people who believe differently. So sad that people think we are just lost souls. As long as AA is trying to "carry the message" (that is god based if you read the big book) to the heathens....not much is going to change in helping...maybe in converting...
I'd have to agree. I'm not sure there is a way, unless you rewrote the steps,and cut out much of the Big Book, especially that chapter about agnostics, which ends up saying they just haven't found 'the way' yet.

It's very insulting to people with different belief systems, and I think it's sad that it is the only option for meetings, in most places.

It's current traditional structure drives away a ton of people seeking support.So I'm hoping they treat this seriously, and not just with lip-service.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There will be an organizer's meeting today, Sunday, November 24th at 5:00 p.m. California time, via a telephone network. Persons interested may contact the organizers via the contacts provided in my initial post on this thread. I suggest that you use the Email contact rather than the cellphone number in order not to overload the organizer's cellphone.

W.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

P.S. The reference to a telephone network in my previous post should have been to a computer network. Here is the website to click upon for participation:

Outreach Committee Meeting - AnyMeeting | Free Web Conferencing, Webcast and Meeting Service

W.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is good to hear.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The website for the proposed convention in Los Angeles this coming November6-8 on Atheists, Agnostics and Free Thinkers in Alcoholics Anonymous is

Many Paths to Recovery | We Agnostics and Freethinkers International AA Convention.

W.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here's a link to the latest announcement of plans for the forthcoming Agnostics, Atheists and Freethinkers Convention in California this coming November.

http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...c&e=189ba292e1

W.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll be interested to see what comes out of this...I just went to an Agnostic meeting in Bethesda, MD and really liked it. Very non-judgmental and welcoming, and a lot more time & ability to talk and communicate. Really loved the format. They just read the traditions, people 'shared' the first half, then passed the hat at half-time, then, it was open conversation. I liked the way it freed up so much more time, not reading all the same things and having prayers, and not having things about God read out loud.

I'll be headed back next week. I was really amazed when I shared about my past frustrations, and how people didn't get all confrontational, but actually listened offered advice and empathy. It also lacked that whole 'great sage who knows everything' feel, even though there were some long-time members who did know a great deal. It felt far less constricted, and much warmer.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
They just read the traditions, people 'shared' the first half, then passed the hat at half-time, then, it was open conversation.
Wow, they do open conversations there? Even the one here at the Gender and Sexual Minorities/LGBTQ clubhouse in Atlanta doesn't do that. They just use the standard monologue format. And, I'm glad to hear you found a meeting you like. You were sorely lacking such support.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
I'll be interested to see what comes out of this...I just went to an Agnostic meeting in Bethesda, MD and really liked it. Very non-judgmental and welcoming, and a lot more time & ability to talk and communicate. Really loved the format. They just read the traditions, people 'shared' the first half, then passed the hat at half-time, then, it was open conversation. I liked the way it freed up so much more time, not reading all the same things and having prayers, and not having things about God read out loud. I'll be headed back next week. I was really amazed when I shared about my past frustrations, and how people didn't get all confrontational, but actually listened offered advice and empathy. It also lacked that whole 'great sage who knows everything' feel, even though there were some long-time members who did know a great deal. It felt far less constricted, and much warmer.
Sounds like this might be what you've been needing. I'm glad you found it.