Notices

How are u dealin with insomnia

Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How are u dealin with insomnia

Jus wanted to get an idea how you are dealing with insomnia
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bump. This is so bad for me. Two-three hours at most nights. It makes me more emotionally labile.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had three sleepless nights and couldn't handle another. I exercised, ate a big dinner, took a hot bath, and finally got six hours.
I don't remember who here told me this, but your body will sleep when it needs to. Don't obsess over the not sleeping; it only makes anxiety worse.

Lots of people take melatonin, it doesn't work for me, but GABA did!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I ordered this stuff called SleepWorks from Advocare

You might want to check w/ your doctor before you do anything w/ supplements...they can interact in a really bad way with any meds you are taking esp antidepressants
Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also...I work out..I work the snot out of myself so that I have no choice but to CRASH
Old 09-07-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The sleep issue is from not thinking we're good enough (shame).
Resentment is also a key player as is "trauma".

When the spiritual malady is overcome we straighten out physically and mentally.

Only having God can I sleep.

I've been given a lot of resentments intentionally by people who don't want me to grow. I've had a lot of practice at the 12 steps.

Going to God at night before bed helps me tremendously, as only He can fill these needs I have. I accepted the plan outlined in AAs Big Book and found Him, made that conscious contact.

Today I'll go help another alcoholic, Alanon or adult child and thank God for givin me a purpose...a way to get God-esteem.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello eddo,

I moved your thread out of the Step One forum of the 12 steps to our Insomnia forum. You will find that you are not alone here with this issue. I hope things have improved!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have horrible insomnia as well. They put me on ambien, but I didn't want to get addict to that so lately I've been go to the health food store and buying herbs like kava kava, passionflower, hops, chamomile. You mix them and let them sit for 10 min and you really do feel very relaxed and sleepy.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am 17 days sober today. My first five days sober were in a detox hospital but I'm still counting them. My first night there (1st night sober in years) was only a little uncomfortable. I had insomnia and one mild hallucination bet eventually slept a few hours.
Learned from other pts to ask for something to help me sleep when we lined up for our evening meds (al la One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest.) I think they gave me benadrill (sp) along with what ever tranq they were using and I slept fine the remainder of my time there. First two nights home after detox I had insomnia. I was prepared for this and had a comfy set up with TV and books in a spare room so as not to disturb my wife. I visited my PCP on day three and he prescribed a non habit forming sleep aid (Trazo-Done) as well as a tranq (Lorazepam) to help with any residual withdrawal symptoms. I'm sleeping fine now. Waiting to see how I do when the rx for sleep aid runs out in a few days. I will say this, no more wicked dry mouth in the middle of then night, no more terrible dreams (I take other neuropathy meds that seem to, with alcohol, cause violent, crazy dreams), and no more feeling like !@#$ every morning. One guy in my group says I'm "cheating" and "getting my booze in pill form" by taking the Lorazepam. I told him it helped me tolerate people like him
Old 11-27-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For a year I slept at most 2 hours at a time. Now for the last 3 years I'm on 150mg of trazodone. I sleep pretty well. Allows me to work and function. Truth be told I'd like to get off of it as I don't want to take any meds at all, but I need some thrapy first I guess.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I've found making sure i get lots of fresh air in the daytime has helped. Im walking instead of public transport and keeping busy. It's helping. Simple but seems to be working.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

.... buf, I am on meds too, but they don't seem to work... Iwake up in the midle of te night after having had max. 3 - 4 hours.... Gotta go to the doc today again to see if they gonna change my meds... Maybe he thinggy w/ the fresh air is not bad (i work mainly at home and dont get much of that, actually...)
The thing is that I believe that insomnia is driving me (more) nuts!!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The biggest trigger for me is getting my adrenaline going shortly before bedtime. I avoid news at all costs, as well as conversations about problems with my wife. Those things are better left for the next day.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

While sober I would deal with my insomnia through multiple methods, with medicine being the very last decision.

I would firstly focus on my breathing and go through a set of breathing techniques in bed, and a general body relaxation exercise through tensing each muscle group and relaxing it. The major one for me was relaxing my jaw muscles, and that would make me sleep much easier.

I would also make sure that before I went to bed I read a book or generally unwound from the day for about 30mins-an hour, nothing too serious book wise - a very easy reading piece of material. The room would also be dimly lit, a very calm and relaxing atmosphere. No electronic devices before bed or in the bedroom whatsoever including my phone- I'd leave it in the kitchen turned off so there would be no distractions. A sleep mask was good too. In the winter months I made sure I got extra vitamin D during the day, which helps enormously due to the lack of sunlight.

Daily exercise and walking was also fantastic.

If I was still struggling, I'd get out of bed and run a warm bath and soak for 15-20mins, again with dim lighting, and prepare a nice hot camomile tea.

If all this failed, I would try some l-theanine, which again I found extremely useful for my sleep problems while I was sober.

If I knew however that I was in for a rough nights sleep id turn to the first generation anti-histamines for their sedative qualities. They are just fantastic. Personally I found hydroxyzine the best, it truly knocked me out but I'd also wake up refreshed, not with a hangover but also have a general sense of more calmness - because it is actually a rather powerful medication, it has anti anxiety properties to it.

Personally valerian had very paradoxical results for me, it made me very agitated and restless, and I've tried every different type you can get! Just not for me.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I could not sleep at all the first few nights off alcohol. Then around the fifth night, I drank valerian tea and took one dose of tryptophan (5HTP-the same hormone found in turkey and bananas), and I have been sleeping a solid five to six hours per night. So, I must not require a lot of sleep because no matter what time I go to sleep, I wake five to six hours later. I just try not to worry about not being able to sleep, and this is key for me. I figure that I have been operating in a hungover state each morning for at least twenty years, that if I am a bit tired now with no hangover, it's all good!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I keep busy and try to be productive. Cleaning/house work, baking, reading, catching up on school work, crafting ( I make extra $ with this one, and for me the lack of sleep makes me more creative so bonus)
When I am having a manic episode it is just part of the ride, so I had to learn to embrace it and make the best of it esp since sleeping meds act like speed for me during an episode. I do take what I call "tweeker naps" when I can, but I'm lucky of I can get 45 mins solid. I can go about 4-5 days before it really starts to bother me, but if I can get a solid 3 hours a night I can go a few weeks, but if I'm lucky the insomnia only last about a 7-10 days.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I recently downloaded some hypnosis and meditation apps to help me fall asleep. I have had sleep issues before I started drinking and they work great.

"Relax and sleep well" by Glenn Harrold is currently my favorite. Have been using it every night this last week to fall asleep, and to fall back asleep.

I also try to read a lot before bed and have lots of quiet and peace, definitely no tv or sensory overload. I'm also thinking if getting a white noise machine.

I hope you get some rest. It really sucks not sleeping, especially with the harsh physical and mental withdrawing in top of it.

Be kind to yourself.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes , white noise is key.....I use a fan on high all night.....