Notices

My 2nd 4th

Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 2nd 4th

If I make it until later this month, I will be 10 yrs clean & sober. Same sponsor all this time. Recent fear of economic insecurity & continuing strife with the wife has led him to suggest I do a "partial" 4th step centered on my work life & marriage.

This was suggested 2 months ago, and of course I balked, stalled, procrasinated. So we set a 2 week deadline last Sunday. I'm going to start writing tonight, hopefully will get through it in a few days. I don't think I'm afraid to do it....the first one I did 9 yrs ago was very helpful.

Posting to try & get myself more accountable & just do it. (and to stall for a few more minutes.....)
Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I reached a very dark place , 10 years sober and without booze.

I went back through the work, complete.

I had a new experience .... my fourth was an eye opener to say the least, id become completely self reliant and fear dominated my life again.

I reached 12 years in September last year.....i don't think i would have without re-tracing some steps.

You probably have absolutely nothing to lose, apart from some stuff that makes life uncomfortable and maybe unbearable.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like in HOW IT WORKS where it says "We stood at the turning point".

I have stood there a few times in recovery and I equate it to re-doing my 4th.

There is always things I left out of previous 4th Steps and old memories keep coming back to shed new light on matters.

Most of my AA friends have done a "handful" of 4th Steps. Things are always better after I've done it.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
There is always things I left out of previous 4th Steps and old memories keep coming back to shed new light on matters.

Most of my AA friends have done a "handful" of 4th Steps. Things are always better after I've done it.
This is exactly why I have did a second 4th, and plan to do more if / as the need arises...it wasn't that I missed something in my 10th step per se, but there were things that came up over time that I completely missed on my first 4th step...old memories, hurts, etc.

coralint - congrats on your almost 10 yrs I found that remembering how freeing it was having not only finishing it but sharing it is what kept me motivated on my second one.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coraltint View Post
If I make it until later this month, I will be 10 yrs clean & sober. Same sponsor all this time. Recent fear of economic insecurity & continuing strife with the wife has led him to suggest I do a "partial" 4th step centered on my work life & marriage.

This was suggested 2 months ago, and of course I balked, stalled, procrasinated. So we set a 2 week deadline last Sunday. I'm going to start writing tonight, hopefully will get through it in a few days. I don't think I'm afraid to do it....the first one I did 9 yrs ago was very helpful.

Posting to try & get myself more accountable & just do it. (and to stall for a few more minutes.....)
Don't know what method you did for your 1st. 4th. Step but I suggest you google "Joe & Charlie Worksheets" if you didn't use their paradigm last time. If you want to bypass all the rhetoric just go to the Resentment & Fear Worksheets and make copies for yourself.

The basic instructions on how to fill them out properly are on Page 64 thru 68 of the BB. I have found most sponsees I worked with usually skip Institutions & Principles. They include a helpful list to refer to.

You have made the right choice to do a 4th. now. 10 thru 15 years was a very dangerous time for me because of the BB warning about "smug complacency." I think you will find that by following the precise, clear cut directions of the BB you may have better results overall. If I bake a cake and omit half the ingredients I will end up with a pile of goo.

Congratulations on your decade.