# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class Of November 2012 - Part 6

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-20.html

D
Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just learned of another death in my circle of friends and family. A fine young man, 30 years old, from liver failure due to alcoholism. I was having a wine craving and that killed it real quick. Sigh.....such a great person with so much life ahead of him.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for your loss marine

D
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Marine, how awful. I am sorry for you loss. It does support/inspire continued sobriety.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just me and you on here, Rochele? Seems very quiet....
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

30 years, liver failure. Doesn't seem right, does it? Shudder to think what his parents must be going through.

I'm still here Marine, just don't have a whole lot to add these days. Well, the Taiwanese have a saying "If nothing is happening, then nothing bad is happening". Don't know if I agree, but kinda sums things up right now.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for that smiley Marine - mustn't have had my glasses on then.

D
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Didn't even notice it, Dee. And I was wearing my glasses. :-)
Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

AA Meeting today. I don't say much. At some point I know I need to start sharing, but I think most of the old timers appreciate the newbies mostly listening. I have 2 groups that I really like. The one in the mountains is great, but the language... Funny the one down town they don't lean on the f-bomb quite so much. Doesn't bother me, but out of respect to people who it might offend? I don't have the best mouth, but jeez.

I was thinking how crazy these meetings would sound to someone like my wife, who is happy with a 1/2 a beer. For me, I can just relate to these people way to much.

Hope everyone is well.

Marine - Sorry about your friend. That is so young.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not sure where my post went Marine, but very sorry to hear your sad news. 30 is no age at all.

S x
Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm still here too. I've been at a spa since Sunday and got back late last night. I feel so focused, centred and calm right now and I feel I really needed that treat to myself.

I'm finally working through sorting out cupboards and drawers that were hiding places for all the clutter. It's cathartic.

Cannot wait for the summer, I'm feeling in need if some sun after 2 quite rubbish summers in UK!

Hope you're all well and on beam.

S x
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about your friend Marine. I am here too, but not a lot to say that I havent said before. Happy Valentine's Day November Peeps!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Checking in again on my Novie friends.

I've missed a few AA meetings due to having plans (only go once a week) and I'm feeling like they won't think I'm taking it seriously. People there have already said I should do more than one a week and, if I'm honest, this has put me off a little. Just wondered what everyone else thinks on this.

I'm so solid in my outlook and thinking now that I can't see me actually drinking ever again. I know one drink is out of the question.

S x
Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sazzle - I haven't been to a meeting in almost 3 weeks and I know what you mean. People don't take you seriously and think you have fallen off the wagon. I travel constantly and try to go when I can. Depending on who you talk to, you should set these meetings in stone and let nothing stand in your way of going. Well, I can't do that. I come here or I go to online AA meetings when I can't get to a F2F. As I have posted before, I only have to think of being handcuffed to the table in the police station wearing my evening gown the night of my DUI to keep me from drinking. I do have cravings, but that image usually takes care of it.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Marine. You speak so rationally. Thanks for your advice, it's put my mind at rest. I'm so focused and I rarely get any cravings that I can't deal with. I never clicked with anyone for sponsorship either so I haven't had that intense AA introduction. There's a class tomorrow night l may go to after work.

Thanks for the quick response too

S x
Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Interesting to see this. I swear I was just wondering if I should think about a sponsor and I was going to ask either of you your opinions. I really want this to stick, but not sure if just being an AA wall flower will do it. Having a sponsor? Just not sure. I'm just too old to have someone telling me what to do. I don't need homework from anyone, but I don't need to start drinking either. No doubt AA works for people, but they keep saying it works if you work it. I'm not working it, just going to meetings.

Have you guys had people offer to be your sponsors, or am I supposed to figure it out.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA but I couldn't have had a sponsor who told me what to do and set me homework either.

I suspect there's as many different types of sponsors out there as there are sponsees VR
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I am just going to keep an open mind and not rush into anything. Like Sazzle says about clicking with someone. That would have to be the case.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It is my understanding no one will offer to be your sponsor, you have to ask. One of the meetings I have attended have a part of the meeting where they ask anyone willing to be a sponsor to raise their hand. Then they say to try to get to know one of the people and if you hit it off, then you can ask.
I have the Big Book and I read it when I feel like I might want to drink and the image of the DUI night is not enough. That's not very often! There is no doubt AA helped me in the beginning but I just can't subscribe to the entire program. I take what I can use and leave the rest.
I have worked the steps on my own... definitely not all of them, but the Big Book walks you through how to and it has helped. There is a step where you write down your resentments, who, what, why, etc and I must admit that did help me. The hard cores say once you work ALL of the steps, your cravings will go away. Mine have gone away for the most part and I try to,stay out of the situations where I might get a trigger.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Marine. I really appreciate your insight.