Notices

100+ days sober w/ insomnia

Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

100+ days sober w/ insomnia

I'm surprised at how little activity is in this category. I've suffered from insomnia since I was in my late teens due to social anxiety. Anxiety and insomnia seems to be very much so connected, probably for a lot of people. I'll be 24 soon. I began to have disgusting insomnia while drinking, in the 2 years before I quit I had started to drink most every night (with the rare break night off due to exhaustion and sickness) and up to 1.5 bottles of wine a night - then have to wake up in the wee hours to go to work. My social anxiety remained, lessened though, and became more of a general anxiety about being caught as a drunk who was always hangover during the day. Now that I've been sober a few months this anxiety has turned into anger about what has happened in the past and the way I'm treated at work (this is another story). Anyway the only time I really feel anxiety is at night now before work. I'm not sure I really have a point to this post and I'm not sure if anyone will even reply to it but I felt like getting it off my chest since I can't sleep.

I have to say though that having insomnia while being sober is a whole other ball game because I don't feel like my world is ending and that sheer desperation of wanting to sleep (off the booze) but not being able to and instead having to hide this at work. God I do not miss that!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just saw this rubber soul and I have the same problem. Cant sleep most nights. If you are still on here, would love to hear how you are doing.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

I'm 107 days sober right now and it's 1;35 am and I'm on the computer. I have to get up at 5;30am. So, I have it too.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dave. I am told it gets better. We shall see.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nikki

Good to see I'm not alone! 49 days sober and the last few nights have sucked! I can't go to sleep...or stay asleep. I toss, and turn...and turn and toss...and I'm exhausted.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Marine, I still have sleeping problems. I was prescribed sleeping pills (zopiclone) several months ago and my doctor(s) both instructed me to take them every night.

This has created another monster for me. I feel dependent on the pills to sleep (they are not supposed to be physically addictive though). I actually just flushed the remainder of my prescription down the toilet because I don't want that crap in my body anymore. So I'm alcohol free and sleeping pill free. I desperately want a natural sleep!

How has your sleep been going?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a bout of insomnia when I first got clean and sober. Then it went away. It comes and goes, but not as bad as it was in the early daze.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Rubber soul - I have been taking half of a 5mg Ambien for the past two weeks but it does no good. Tonight I tried Valerian Root. 3 capsules 30 minutes before bedtime. That was three hours ago. LOL!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Marine- I've taken valerian pills and liquid extract with little effect too!

I know what its like to be in that vicious cycle of being so desperate to sleep and becoming reliant on pills for something that is supposed to be natural. I really regret taking those pills as long as I did (8 months). Besides the negative health effects that took a toll on my body, it also strained my relationships a lot. I was on 5 mg of zopiclone and I got to the point were I was taking 2 pills a night and sometimes they didn't even put me to sleep or I would sleep for 2-3 hrs and would work the next day (at work for 6:30) with this horrific hangover. In retrospect, I may as well have had an alcoholic hangover for all those pills were good for (its like I traded one problem for another). This was my experience with sleeping pills that were prescribed to be taken nightly for months.

I'm still on the midnight shift (although now unemployed). I'll get my act together one of these days. I'm sober and off medications though so that is a positive change and helps my peace of mind.

Last edited by rubbersoul; 10-25-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tried just about everything. Still struggling!