Notices

Insomnia worsening

Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia worsening

Long story short. I drank for 9 years and got to where I could drink a large bottle of wine by myself. I would drink 3 nights out of the week occasionally more. I never seemed to have problems sleeping. Well on July 2009 I had been on a thirty day dose of flagyl. On the last day I drank a lot and was sick for a couple of days afterward. I even went to the emergency rm and the doc said I wouldn't have done permanent damage. Well I quit alcohol after that and found I had difficulty falling asleep. Afraid I had brain damage I had a neurologist provide an MRI two months after the incident and it came back fine. Well 6 months later I was preg with my daughter and had insomnia my entire preg, no more than 2 hrs a night. After I delivered I eventually got back to 4-5 hrs a night, I was function fine on 5. Well a year later I was preg w my son . My sleep was better w this preg, 4 hrs a night. After delivering him my sleep has Cycles good (5 and 6 on a great night) to not so good ( 3-4 hrs). Since my son I've had more good than bad cycles of sleep. About a month ago I was shocked bc I went to bed at my normal time 10 pm and slept till the alarm at 5 am for 3 nights in a row. I attempted to fall a sleep the following night and I was wide awake the whole night and it's been tough like this for the last month. My father in law, a retired nurse, said that I wouldnt have any permanent damage from my drinking and that my sleep would not have gotten better the times it did if I had. I was wanting some input from those who have walked in my shoes as to whether this onset of sleep difficulty is likely associated to my last drinking binge as this seems when I started having probs. Sorry if I sound stupid!
Thanks
cuss
Old 12-18-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe you don't require a lot of sleep?
Maybe since you had the babies and while you were pregnant, you were anxious and vigilant?
Maybe it is hormonal?
If you are not drinking, and your scan was ok, you shouldn't be worried about drinking now.
Try to use typical widely recognized sleep hygiene techniques.
No caffeine after six.
No stimulants after six.
No tv/computers in bedroom.
Have a cool bedroom, calm environment.
Try to physically wind down before bed.
All that kind of stuff.

If you are able to function fairly well, I wouldn't obsess about it.
Congratulations on your sober time.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you remember anything different about those great night's sleep?
Did you do anything different?
Were you particularly distracted and forgot about sleep problems perhaps?