Notices

Insomnia and night time hallucinations.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Insomnia and night time hallucinations.

I am 3 weeks sober and I am still having trouble sleeping. It has gotten to the point to where I am half awake and start seeing things when I look around the room. For example, Last night I was tired but couldn't sleep. When I looked at my couch I could of sworn someone was sitting there staring at me. It was just a jacket and a bag I had on the couch. Being sober is starting to make it feel like A. (My apartment is haunted) or B. (The alcohol demons are tormenting me) either way I don't want to start taking drugs to sleep. Has anybody dealt with this type of situation or is still dealing with it? If you beat it how? Please help lol
Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR cialesboy

I think a lot of us have trouble sleeping for a while...I found things got back to normal after the first month or so.

I think it's easy to imagine things when we're tired too - I often see stuff when I'm half asleep and it's not more supernatural than a jacket or whatever.

If this is really wearing you down tho, maybe seeing a Dr could help?

D
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sure ! i think you should see a doctor.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Got a new job and now I have to wait till the insurance kicks in in January Thanks for the help guys!!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10816 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
Here's some common sense tips too

10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

D
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its fairly common to experience things like that. I am 4 years clean and still have trouble sleeping. I was an extremely heavy user of alcohol and opiates. I can say with utmost certainty I have hallucinated purely from sleep deprivation. I had night terrors , sleep paralysis , etc for several weeks when i first got clean.

Stay away from OTC sleep aids , they are habit forming and can cause mild hallucinations. Get yourself some melatonin and some chamomile tea. Try to exercise as much as possible. Stay out of your bed until your are ready for bed , otherwise just post up on the couch. Its important to associate your bed for sleep. Put on youtube and listen to some guided meditation. The things you are seeing and feeling will most likely pass soon , or diminish greatly.

Truthfully , i began to enjoy the weird things i would see at night. I would make a game out of it , and began to read about lucid dreaming. Being able to control a lucid state like that is a powerful experience.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice Rabbit, i'm staying away from OTC sleep aids. My best bet would probably be hitting the gym hard before bed.