quick lesson: RR vs SMART

Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quick lesson: RR vs SMART

Hey guys, a quick question. I am looking around for information because I don't think AA will be something for me. I do like to move around on discussion boards and do my own research. But there is so much knowledge here, so I'd like to as you about yr opinions about the difference between SMART, RR and perhaps also the WFS "programs". Just for some extra study. I am not looking for full immersion into a program, but for inspiring thoughts.

More of you doing it "alone", without meetings or counsellors or anything?
On day 26th....
Old 10-26-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Dutchie,

I went looking for a thread I saw within the last couple of months discussing differences between RR and SMART, but couldn't find it. Perhaps someone else will remember where it is and post the link.

At the risk of oversimplification, I'll give it a shot:

SMART approaches include cognitive behavioral therapy. What you think and feel about the challenges in your life is important in maintaining sobriety. Countering "irrational beliefs" and doing a cost benefit analysis of using vs not using are some of the tools used to help change your thinking to support abstinence. "I am not thinking things through clearly. If I look at my behavior rationally and accept myself with all of my foibles, I will be better equipped to handle urges to drink."

AVRT doesn't care about rationalizations, beliefs or analysis about any thinking aside from drinking. Recognize any thought that supports the possibility of drinking as having been delivered by your addiction and separate your true self (I) from the addiction (It). "I don't want to drink, It does, and It doesn't wear the pants around here. Too bad."

I am not familiar with WFS but did take a peek at their website. Seems WFS is more "like" SMART in that it focusses on change through positive affirmations (and presumably action to support the affirmations).

SMART's website has a toolbox that will give you a very good overview. The basics are straightforward, in my view.

If you haven't already done so, you can get the gist of AVRT by Googling it and doing the crash course.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Oh and I'm not sure if this is inspiring to you, but my thought today is that the only thing we can handle right now is "now." The past is gone and the future is unknown. If I do the right thing now, I know I can't possibly ever regret it. AVRT puts heavy emphasis on staying in the "right now."
Old 10-26-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Without those meetings? You betcha, I found them so depressing and demoralizing. The alternatives to 12 step programs do not require 'immersion' or conversion or some sort of awakening. The only leap of faith that is required is the belief that you have the power to choose, and the ability to have a life without alcohol.

Obladi has laid it out for you very well. I wonder if this is the thread that was mentioned? http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-5-a-8.html
Old 10-26-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm a former AA member. I no longer go. And I don't get lonely because I am too busy building/living my life. Instead of trying to fit in as many meetings as possible, I'm talking with friends, hanging with my kids, making new friends, working out, etc.

AA kept me in a very bad place. A place of hopelessness and constant criticism. But now, I realize how strong I am, how capable and I feel empowered. Everything is changing now and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Dutchie
I am not looking for full immersion into a program, but for inspiring thoughts.
In addition to what's already been mentioned I would also suggest reading about Buddhist principles. The "now", the sitting with fear and/or pain, and the idea that I am powerful and I am the author of my own health or dis-ease were all foreign thoughts to me. Studying this created a paradigm shift for me which has been very helpful in not only stopping my addiction but living my life in general.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Let's keep the posts on topic for this forum. In Secular Connections we discuss positive experiences of Secular programs without bringing the 12 step programs up in a negative light.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

That's the one, fresh - thanks!
It's on my hit parade of discussions about AVRT, but then again most of them are.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Oh and I'm not sure if this is inspiring to you, but my thought today is that the only thing we can handle right now is "now." The past is gone and the future is unknown. If I do the right thing now, I know I can't possibly ever regret it. AVRT puts heavy emphasis on staying in the "right now."
That is so very true. And something that so many of us addict types seem to forget! Thanks, Obladi!