Success with SMART?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Success with SMART?

Just would like to hear from anyone who has had success with using SMART recovery?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Ttal.

I'm not in SMART, but stay tuned. We have some folks here who who have benefited enormously. It gets a little slow around here on Saturday nights... I think that's a testament to the success people are having with the various approaches.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There is a great advocate for SMART here, a frequent poster, who is known as OnlyTheTruth (OTT are your ears ringing yet?). In the meanwhile, please make google your friend, and have a good look at Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ, and you can do some more reading about Albert Ellis too, and rebt. Smart teaches self empowerment and reliance on your own abilities-it teaches tools that will last a lifetime, to help you make the choice to get sober and to make it stick. It's good stuff.

I think that 'normal' people, like my Ma for instance, use SMART techniques for mental health and positive ways to cope with life, without ever having heard of REBT or Dr. Ellis. I have learned to incorporate SMART tools into my sobriety like meditation and mindfulness, cost benefit comparisons, etc. It makes me wonder would I have become addicted to alcohol in the first place if I had known and used these things? Hmmmmmm.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Ha! I knew I had a funny feeling in my ears! I was away over labor day and am just checking back in here.

I'm not terribly into counting time but the anniversary of my last drink just went by, 14 years now, so I would have to call myself a success.

I'm a SMART member, although I didn't get involved in SMART until I had been abstinent for about 9 years. I was in a different program for those 9 years, really struggling, not so much with abstinence but with trying to reconcile my own worldview with the philosophy of that program. It was particularly the notion of Powerlessness and the need for an outside power that was most problematic for me. So when I found SMART Recovery, which has the opposite focus--Empowerment--I was thrilled. I was also thrilled when I joined up and they told me (get this) that after 9 years I probably didn't need them! "After 9 years you know perfectly well how to live a sober life," they said. My answer was: "Where the heck WERE you folks 9 years ago????"

So I got involved not because I felt I needed a program at that point in my life, but because I wanted people like me to have a choice. I know now that I am not the only person in the world who finds social support helpful, but who would prefer that social support be packaged in a philosophy of empowerment...and that the tools for sobriety be tools for sobriety, not tools for harnessing an outside force.

Anyway, I can answer most questions about SMART and for those I can't answer I'd suggest the best way to find out about the program is to go to the website and click around...and be sure to sign up for the online message board.

Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ
Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I tried to sign up on the Smart website and I am still waiting on my activation email. I did this yesterday. I tried to do it again but it wont let me. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ttal914, I have been in your shoes, waiting for some email from a website. Someone suggested that it might have slipped into my spam mailbox by mistake. Lo, behold also, there it was. Have a look there, maybe?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Freshstart you were right. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Ttal,

I'm glad you signed up...sorry about the old "approval email in the spam folder" thing. That happens to me all the time. Technology!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi,
I'm only 10 days sober. But I'm feeling great!
I'm seeing a CBT therapist and attending SMART meetings. I really respond well to and NEED to feel enpowered to change my own life
My therapist suggested this was a fantastic program for me. So I chose at home detox followed by intensive one on one therapy and SMART.
So far I'm loving it and doing well with my new life.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the secular side of SR, MissLou, and congratulations to you on your sobriety. 10 days is great! I know very well the feeling of power I got when I chose to believe that I could stop drinking if I wanted to, and I wanted to. I was told over and over that I would never be able to do this, that I was powerless. Phooey.
What does this mean for us, MissLou, if we never were really limited in this way? What else can we achieve if we can only believe that we can?

Please keep posting here, it's great to learn of another's success.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Welcome.

I am working on my sobriety using SMART and AVRT. It is making a huge difference telling the AV to kiss off when on my way home and it suggests grabbing a drink. I intend to start attending SMART meetings however the closest is about an hour from home.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hmmm... Good stuff... I am on day 3 and honestly although I have been a "member" for years with many years of sobriety I have always had issues with the powerlessness part... I love the fellowship, I just don't buy into the whole magical powers will keep me sober. It has been enlightening to find out there are programs that empower...

I mean momma always said I can do anything in this world I want if I put my mind to it. This is a total contradiction to the program I have been practicing for the last 11 years...

Go figure...
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wifi, welcome to the secular side. Yes, you are all you need to get and stay sober for good. Yes, you are right it is the opposite of what you have been told for 11 years. Yes, I am sorry that it happened.

Why would you let someone of dubious credentials tell you what you can and cannot achieve? Don't get me started. Welcome again.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I tried for years to believe I was powerless too...one of the best things I have ever done for myself was to accept that I don't believe I'm powerless and never did. In fact, one of the most powerFUL things I have ever done for myself was to quit drinking!!!

I often say that the most important thing I ever learned in that other program was engraved on the back of those medallions they used to give out: "To thine own self be true".
Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by onlythetruth
I often say that the most important thing I ever learned in that other program was engraved on the back of those medallions they used to give out: "To thine own self be true".
I have the above words from Shakespeare tattooed on my back. Staying true to yourself can mean going against the grain of popular belief. Scary sometimes, yes...but worth it to find freedom. Another adage comes to mind. "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself."
Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I have the above words from Shakespeare tattooed on my back. Staying true to yourself can mean going against the grain of popular belief. Scary sometimes, yes...but worth it to find freedom. Another adage comes to mind. "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself."
I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've got two weeks under my belt now and it's really going great.
I'm glad I've found a way to do this that I really "get"!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wifi View Post
I love the fellowship, I just don't buy into the whole magical powers will keep me sober.
Just wondering what program uses magical powers?

phoenix aka Tinker
Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Just wondering what program uses magical powers?

phoenix aka Tinker
LOL - I meant a power greater than myself... My bad...
Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wifi View Post
LOL - I meant a power greater than myself... My bad...
Rats...I thought maybe there was one where I could have the ability to fly:rotfxko

phoenix aka Tinker