Negative Self Talk

Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Negative Self Talk

I am adding a link here because I think this applies to both areas. Negative self talk is very much like AV but I feel not the same. Maybe conceptually but for me definitely different.

I manage them similarly. They arise out of the same places. They try to hurt me. But they have different food sources as I call em.

Possibly even look at it as one is external in ways and one internal? Love to hear your opinions.

I am sure that will be debated.

Newcomers Negative Self Talk

Ken
Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting, Ken. Yes, I have applied identification and detachment techniques to other kinds of negative thoughts. I've even applied them to less important things. Recently when I was on a long bike ride, I recognized and neutralized the voice of laziness, which was trying to tell me to slow down.

I don't think of my addiction as trying to hurt me, though certainly that would be one of the consequences of drinking. It just wants me to drink (too bad for it). The most negative kinds of thoughts -- shame, self-pity, resentment, fear -- those faded away in time. I suppose habitual abuse of a depressant is bound to cast a shadow across one's thoughts. Glad to be walking on the sunny side of the street now.