Notices

Help with vyvanse addiction

Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with vyvanse addiction

I think I am mostly posting this because I need to at least tell someone what is going on, even if I don't know them, but any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
I have a prescription for vyvanse 70mg for ADHD. I have been ordering the three month supply through walgreens mail order, so 90 pills. Every time I order it I think "this time I can control myself and take the one per day I'm supposed to". Inevitably I take one a day for a few days, then one day as the effects start to wear off I decide to take another, and next thing I know I'm taking 4-5 a day and staying up 2-3 nights in a row. I'm on the third 3 month order right now, and following the trend I am on track to finish off my 90day prescription in 20-25days. Inevitably followed by depression and lack of energy etc for at least a couple weeks, then just feeling moderately crappy for a couple months till my next order. It makes a big difference when I take one a day, so I really don't want to have to stop altogether, but I know I can't control it by myself. I am in my mid twenties, I figure I could let my parents know and they could just give me 1 daily to control it. But the idea of telling them seems impossible. I know that this or stopping altogether are the only viable courses of action, but I welcome any comments or thoughts, again, at the least I just had to tell someone at this point.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"I know that this or stopping altogether are the only viable courses of action..."

What makes you think this? Vyvance is not the only way to treat ADHD. My recommendation would be to admit this problem to your doctor. Doctor/patient confidentiality would prevent him/her from telling anyone else, and he/she could offer other approaches to treating your ADHD. There are other drugs that you could try that have less addictive potential. There are also natural approaches that don't involve any drugs, including eating proper foods, getting exercise, avoiding caffeine, etc. You can find a bunch with a simple internet search. IMHO, you should go after those natural approaches first and foremost; daily drug use should always be a last resort. I am convinced that no matter what good any drug is supposed to do, there is always some offset as it affects other parts of your body/brain. Natural is always best, if you can make it work.

I do think that you need to get rid of the Vyvance, though. I don't think having your parents (or anyone else) dole out the pills for you in the proper dose is a reasonable option. You are not a child, and it doesn't make sense to me that you should sign them up to take care of you in this way. And if you are developing an addictive relationship with this drug, you will inevitably start trying to work around your own self-imposed restriction, setting yourself up for typical addict behavior with your parents - lying, manipulating, sneaking - which could then negatively affect your relationship with your parents, not to mention your own moral compass.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been on the various ADHD medications before and interestingly, I had the same exact issue with Vyvanse as you... That stuff would start to make me crazy; as you said, up for 2-3 days, paranoid. When I switched back to Adderall XR it made a world of a difference and I'm able to easily control my intake. So what I'm saying is, maybe it's the medication.... You might ask your doctor about other options, tell him/her its effectiveness is wearing or you don't like the side effects (which are both, technically, true it sounds like).

Also, there's nothing to be ashamed about having a parent or trusted person hold onto and give out your medication for you.