Notices

husband currently in rehab

Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

husband currently in rehab

My husband is addicted to Oxycontin and he has been rehab for 10 days now, he is at a non-tradtional place which allows visitors and phone calls and they can even leave for 2 hours a day.

I have been lurking for a while finding everyone posts very helpful to try snd get an insight into what he had been going through. I have also lurked at the friends and family board. All of my questions have basically been answered by reading other peoples postings.

I have one question and have tried looking on google but could find nothing on it.

After my husband had been in rehab around 5 days we had sex on one of my visits, he finally has a sex drive again. Well he just happened to mention that to his councellor and he said she got really mad and said that that wouldn't help in his recovery. I was just curious if there was any reason like with the endorphins realised if thats similar to when he was using?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I just don't "get" how someone deriving pleasure in the most natural way a human can could be bad. To me, recovery should be about finding ways to feel good and alive that don't involve drugs, and sex is almost as necessary as breathing and food.

I actually mentioned on another thread about sex being an important part of recovery even (and especially) during Detox/WD. I don't know why it seems so taboo to some...my comments were totally ignored as if either they weren't valid, weren't appropriate, or embarassed people, or maybe all of the above. Maybe it was too much for some...because I specifically mentioned masturbation -- the reason being I didn't feel it was appropriate at the time during my Detox, being all nasty from the sweats and not having sufficient strength the first few days to shower, to ask my BF to accommodate me.

As far as I'm concerned, I think the counselor is way off base. Just because someone has credentials or a degree doesn't necessarily make them an expert in human nature and empathy. There are good counselors and bad ones, too. As long as a sex addiction doesn't replace drug and/or alcohol addiction, it's a natural and necessary part of life, and as long as you still have a good relationship and both enjoy it, I believe it's a totally valid part of his recovery.

Perhaps he should bluntly ask the counselor why they think is a bad thing for his body and brain to regain the capacity to naturally produce endorphins instead of drugs doing the job. I'd love to hear a valid answer for that.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I didn't really understand it, I'm doing family stuff with him at rehab this week and will be seeing his counsellor so I was going to ask at some point if she doesn't bring it up