Notices

in need of some advice asap.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in need of some advice asap.

Hi all, it's been a while since i have been on here. my husband that i have been with for 8 years, has had about a 5 year battle with pain pill addiction.

it has not been easy, he has was on suboxone, after his overdose, and i must say the 5 months he was on that, things were AMAZING, it was like i had the person i knew back. until he abusing them, then it was back to the pain pills.

a few months later he went into rehab, things were back to being good he did the whole IOP program 4 days a week, and went to AA meetings o the days he didn't have IOP. he stayed sober 2 months after that and relapsed on Bath Salts. OMG that was awful, it was a whole other side of him i had never seen. and hope to not ever see again.

he got off that because places stopped selling it in Ohio, or so they say. but it was right back to the pain pills for him. and it got really out of control once again. him leaving our son and i up to 4 times a week not coming home. him saying he was going to the store and not coming back, just everthing that comes along with it. not fun!

well back to rehab he went, he said he needed help he wanted help. so he went back to the same rehab center he went to before. he stayed longer this time, he was there a month. and let me tell you, it was great, he was doing so so so good. i was seeing "my husband" i went to every family group and worked on myself things were going really good, UNTIL he got out.

i had to work the day he came home, so our son and i made him a welcome home poster and had welcome home balloons in the kitchen so he seen it as soon as he walked in. well about his 2nd day home he started getting very cocky, and he started treating me as if he was like a sponsor and stopped treatin me like a wife. from that point on things just kept going down hill.

well here we are 3 months post rehab and guess what??? you got it he relapsed about a month ago! i seen all the signs leading up to it. he dropped out of his IOP very fast, didn't work with his sponsor on his steps or anything after getting out of rehab, didn't go to NA meetings he just stuck to AA. so it was going to happen and I tried telling him, he didn't buy it. he said i was just looking for a reason to "bitch' at him or try to "run' his recovery.

he is very. very. very. cocky and rude, his attitude is awful, same addict i have seen for years now. but heres the thing, he did relapse on pills, but now he says he just smokes weed...i myself am not ok with that. then again he said this before, that he rather smoke weed. then went right back to pills.

i asked him 'why do you smoke weed?" the fist thing he said was "to get a buzz on" then it went to "it keeps me calm" then it went to "i haven't done any pills since i started smoking" umm, if he wasn't getting high on that i am pretty sure he would be getting high on pills.

his sponsor gave up on him, pretty sad it came to that. but i don't blame him, he is a really good guy that really wanted to help my husband. my husband has stopped going to meetings all together. he says he isn't beng the addict but yet he lies, and everything i am seeing is what the addict does.

so what i was wondering is, can he get off pills by smoking weed, does this really work? to me he is just setting himself up. i don't think you can take away one drug and add another. you're still getting high.

sorry so long, thanks.
Andee.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You cannot get off the "getting high" wagon by getting high. He is being an addict and giving yo a bunch of BS so he can get high. I know this because he is me. I love getting high. Anything that will get me high I will get addicted to. I have been down the road that he has taken although not so blatantly. I tend to hide, sneak and lie and hope you don't notice the change in my behavior. He apparently doesn't care about that as he puts it right in front of your face.

Realize that when an addict is active he/she will do ANYTHING to maintain the addiction and the ability to get high. The worst fear an addict can have is the fear of quitting. It is very hard when one is young - and you sound young - to imagine quitting and never, ever being able to get high again. He has never really given up on the desire or thought that some day, some time he is going to be able to get high like other people do and has not realized that the day will never come.

He is simply switching from one drug to another to maintain the ability to get high. Personally I went from pot to booze to pills as I worked my way through hell.

There is probably a good man somewhere inside the addicted fool that you see every day just as there is in almost everyone. Read around this site and note the intelligent, articulate people who have emerged each from his/her own personal hell. There are many ways to accomplish it but each one must find their own way at their own time. Some will never find it and in fact by far the greatest percentage of us never find the way or stumble many times along the way.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ummm, this is a recovery forum and they don't take well to any positive mention of cannabis, but I have personally experienced people who were able to shed opiate addictions with the devils weed. Some may call it drug replacement while others may call it the lesser of evils. Perhaps even akin to MMT for heroin junkies. I've never seen anyone crash and burn on reefer but I haven't seen many of them grab life by the horns either.

As far as your husband goes, my instinct tells me that his addictions haven't run their full course yet. It sucks to say but recovery cannot be induced. The addict must be real hungry for recovery or relapse is almost inevitable IMHO. I sure hope your old man finally gets it but truth be known, some never do. Protect yourself in the end and good luck to you. My $.02
Old 07-09-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sorry if it seemed positive, that is not where i was going with this. i don't see what he is doing as a positive thing. i just wanted advise from people like him on this. he doesn't see it as a big deal but i know right where it will get him.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone interpreted your words as "positive" relative to what your husband is doing. At the risk of putting words in FMTT's mouth (keyboard) I believe he is referring to what he had to say about others using pot to get off opiates. That, indeed, would be interpreted as a positive comment for the use of cannabis as he indicated that he had seen it work as a way to get away from opiates.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks liv1ce, that's exactly what I meant.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Classic addict behavior...relapsing, rationalizing, justifying, lying, yada yada yada. Been there/done that. Won't stop till' he's ready, if ever. I've actually known a handful of people for whom the so-called "marijuana maintenance program" worked...but for the vast majority it does'nt. Peace.