Notices

Help with Opiate

Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with Opiate

Hello,

My name is Sean..

Looking for some advice... for years I have been addicted to painkillers... in the last few months I have been buying Suboxone to try and get my self off of them.I believe "even tho my wife says were fine" that it is making her
resent me.. I am ready to quit but I cant seam to stop taking the sub's
Every morning when I wake up or goto bed its the first and last think i think about. I love my wife and children more the anything... I really want
to stop making them suffer cause of my stupidity... I dont stay out late anymore or spend WHOLE pay checks on pills but, I just cant seam to stop. I tell my self every night before I goto bed that tomorrow ill get up early and go joging or something to help change my daily routine but I never follow through. Wandering if anyone had some advice. I would be devistated if I lost my family over this. My wife is litterlay the Greatest she is my world and she supports me trying to quit ofcourse =). but I think its starting to take its toll on her

Thanks,

Sean
Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Sean. I feel your pain. Recovery from any opiate or opioid drug is a bitch. I can testify! One has to really want to be free from whatever junk they're on, deep in their heart and soul, to be free of the relentless chain that seems to grow bigger around their very soul with each passing day. At least that's how my 10 year opiate bender ended up feeling like to me. with just under two months clean under my belt I can say its still a rough ride some days but getting that damn gorilla of your back is gonna make you feel like a million bucks. I personally don't have experience with subs but I know they stay in the system longer. Most suggest to attempt a taper of dosages cause as you know, detox isn't pretty. It's not fatal though so just remember the reasons you're doing this. You wanna be there for your wife and family, right? I'm not gonna lie man, it's a struggle but if you really want it then freedom can be yours. Damn the inevitable voices in your head and choose freedom. Peace and good luck to you.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Sean and welcome to SR. I am very proud of you for wanting to quit! I am also an addict and my DOC was also opiates. I had a long love affair with vicodins, then percocet, then the last couple years it was anything I could get my hands on. Morphine, oxy, subs, whatever. I am now 5 months off those stupid things, and personally know how hard it is. I also have a spouse, and my husband is what finally caused me to quit. I just got tired of being sick and tired and broke. I decided to not go the sub route, since I would eventually have to get off those too. My theory is buck up and go cold turkey, get through the first couple weeks and if you can go to as many NA meetings as possible. If you can not or do not want to attend meetings, get on this website. Hang in there and you can DO IT!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i was a opiate head too and anything else i could get my mits on but heres the thing YOU NEED SUPPORT i came here and found it in leaps and bounds from people in the room and here on the messAGE boards the thing is you can do it
Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Put me right in line with everyone else responding to you. I am/was an opiate abuser and now am nearly 70 days clean and feel great. I seem to be following FMTT around the site today so I can agree with him. Life is great without it but you have to go through the task to get there. I also went cold turkey.

I would take advantage of your wife's support while you can. I had hidden my addiction from her - something I am disgustingly good at - but realized that I needed badly to quit. I tried and tried to do it on my own because I didn't want to admit to her what I had been doing. The problem was that I couldn't do it. It was too hard. The withdrawals were more than I could stand on my own and I couldn't function normally enough to pull it off. She finally figured it out and confronted me but agreed to stick with me while I withdrew. We constantly communicated with each other and thank god she was able to hang in there. I could feel her support and it strengthened me and I was able to suffer and struggle along without condemnation. It was the best thing for ME but each of us has to find his/her own way.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Sean.

With regard to advice, I think it would help you to make more definitive plans on how/when you want to try the kick. This doesn't mean that you spend months planning something that never comes to fruition, but making a daily commitment to kick that you don't follow through on can be equally counterproductive.

When planning the kick you need to consider everything, but a few big questions that you will need to answer are: What is your current work situation? How much time could you take off if needed? Will your wife be able/willing to help you through the withdrawal? If not, would a friend be willing to help and/or board you during the process?

Once you have a date set then go and get everything that you will need for the kick (e.g. gatorade, peanut butter / jelly sandwhiches, advil, etc.), and spend the time in between getting mentally prepared. This will allow you to get mentally invested in the kick before you have to deal with the withdrawal. The last step in the process is to burn the bridges between you and your supply. If you buy through the phone then delete all the bad numbers and get your phone number changed.

Lastly, have you tried going to an NA yet? If not, it's probably worth a try.