Notices

Sniffing stuff??

Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sniffing stuff??

I am an alcoholic and I do not have much experience with other drugs. With that stated, here's my question. A young kid (Teenager) has been showing up at one of my A.A. meetings. He states his name and that he is an addict. He does not participate in any of the conversations except to say that he has a new "Clean Date" meaning he used what ever over the weekend. I notice that he keeps taking a small sponge looking thing out of his pocket and sniffing it. Is he sniffing something to get high right in our meeting? Should I say something?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I have no idea what he could be sniffing, but although curious, it probably isn't your place to say something.

You could try and help him out just by starting a conversation with him...he might be in need of guidance and/or friendship
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never heard of anything but that seems suspicious. Sounds like maybe hes being forced to go by his parents or something
Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sure he is being forced to go, and one of our guys scheduled a meeting with him and he failed to show. To his credit, he did come back to the meeting...

Thanks for your input...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's possible he's using some aroma therapy. A friend of mine uses scented oils on tissues for stress reduction.

Just a thought.

Love from Lenina
Old 07-06-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

No clue what he's doing, but is it possible to huff off a rag or a small sponge like thing? Sure.

Huffing and Sniffing - Methods of Inhalant Abuse

I'd be careful about making too many assumptions though. I'm glad he's there, no matter how he gets in the seat. Interestingly enough, studies show that mandatory treatment has the same success rates as voluntary treatment. Are you able to offer him the solution? If not, can you help to direct him to someone who can?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks folks. I'm just worried about this guy, I don't think I would ever say anything, and I'm glad he is there knowing what the program did for me. Also the other guys in the group are very welcoming. Our discussions do, however, focus on alcoholism, but there are a few alcoholic/addicts in the group.

Anyway, thanks for letting me crash your forum..

Fatty...
Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lenina - I completely agree.

Personally, during my withdrawals, I always had a plastic bag with a cotton ball inside soaked in rubbing alcohol or strong perfume to help with my nausea. Also, certain smells would trigger my cravings so I used this to get rid of them. I have no idea why this works for me, but it's a possibility this kid could be doing that.

Maybe try talking to him before/after the meeting about it like you're just curious about his sponge and you thought it may have been some kind of new recovery method. Just an idea.