Notices

Oxy Recovery Question...

Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxy Recovery Question...

...I went "cold turkey" off Oxycodone. It's been two weeks now. It was prescribed by my "physician" for an Osteoarthritic condition in my neck and back. I was taking massive amounts of the stuff. He was prescribing 320 10mg tabs per month. My pain was getting worse: so, more pain, more pills. I write this by way of background.

Despite the two weeks off, I'm still having some difficulties. My mental faculties (what little I had) have returned but I still have developed a sleeping problem (about four maybe five hours per night) if I'm lucky. I also have severe diarrhea but then, again, I had that when I was taking the Oxy's. Funny thing, most folks have the reverse problem.

Finally, to my question. Have any of you experienced these types of difficulties after quitting Oxys? I have an appointment with a new doc next week. I'm going to tell him what happened and what is going on now and see what suggestions he may have to offer.

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Cymru am blyth!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

**** em.
I am almost 1mo off a bunch of that stuff. Don't trick yourself back bud. I only started sleeping thru the night about a week ago. Give it some time. Your body needs to get back to its natural processes and you have screwed it up. Takes more than 2 weeks....
Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, the diarhea was the worse for me, I had that with the pills also but havent experienced it with heroin, the restless nights are horrible too, i try running and exercising until i can hardly move my body anymore, that really helps me sleep
Old 07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depending on how long you used and your daily dosage, the w/d symptoms will vary. I found it took at least 6 weeks to get back to a decent sleep pattern. Sneezing was my last issue to go away. Of course, we are all wired differently and experience different issues. Been clean almost 19 months now and sleep very well most nights. Of course, other ailments sometimes bother me, but all in all, I am very grateful for my sleep. That is one thing I don't want to mess with ever again.

I was just thinking the other day about how we really are alike as addicts, but also how we differ. I never enjoyed alcohol or any other non-opiate pills at all. I can take or leave anything else. Some of us find any potentially addictive substance a problem.

At least we all have this forum to share our stories. SR really made a difference in my recovery.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah i can have a couple of drinks and be fine, opiates really are the only drug i crave
Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PS: I like your flag. My first Land Rover had the same flag on the back of it. I've been to Wales. Celtic Manor for golf. It was an amazing place!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definitely takes time. Over 6 weeks clean for me and my bowels still aren't normal. I am just starting to get more than 4-5 hours sleep a night. Energy levels starting to come back but PAWS is in full effect. I'm hating the world today and my back is killing me. I know, don't believe the lies. Whatever.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks!

That gives me a lot of encouragement, seriously. You're right about screwing-up your system, I agree with that 100 percent.

I forgot to mention that since I quit I have no more pain. On another post I attached a web link which talks about a condition called: "Oxycodone Induced Hyperalgesia. Here's link from Wiki but it says the same stuff as the other one. Just thought you might be interested in reading about it.

Opioid-induced hyperalgesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by milroy View Post
PS: I like your flag. My first Land Rover had the same flag on the back of it. I've been to Wales. Celtic Manor for golf. It was an amazing place!
Dda i chi! Ydy, mae'n wlad brydferth, yn ddiau am y peth! Alla i ddim aros i fynd yn ôl.

Falch eich bod yn dymuno cael y faner.

Translated:

Good for you! Yes, it is a beautiful country, no doubt about it! I cannot wait to go back.

Glad you like the flag.

Cymru am blyth! (Here, see if you can figure out what this says).

PS: My license plates say: CYMRU