Notices

Advice on withdraw

Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on withdraw

Hello
About 2 years ago I had injured my ankle. After lots of therapy, I had orthoscopic surgery. At thethe end ofof 2010 to remove scar tissue. That was when I first was prescribed percocet for pain. After more months of therapy, the pain was not improving and seemed to be progressing.at the end of 2011 I had to have a second more invasive surgery called a bronstrom ligament repair and was excited about the possibility of life getting back to normal, pain free. This year after 2 months of therapy, i was diagnosed with RSD due to all the trauma to the area. I dont know if any of you know about RSD, but it can be extremely painful and there are not many treatment options. After having 6a surgical procedures called spinal nerve blocks, its still here. Both my podiatrist and the nero doctor have both been giving me pain medication to manage the pain. I have been taking 4 a day of 5 mg percocets, sometimes 6 a day depending on the pain.

I truly hate taking meds, and i want to try to manage my pain with out the meds. My meds will run out today, and due to a pharmacy error, i cant get my next prescription until next week. I figured now might be the best time to stop taking them.

I am nervous about the withdraw symptoms since i have been taking the meds for almost 2 years. Any advice on how to get through it, and also, is there anyone else out there that has experience with RSD and managing pain with out pain meds?

Any advice or words of wisdom would be extremely appreciated!!!
Kim
Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Watch Stan Lees Superhumans on Netflix! There is a dude on there that has totally convinced himself that he feels no pain. The percs are not doing as much good as harm for your body.
It's the worst couple weeks you will ever feel, but if you can get thru it, you will be able to really feel your body. Feel the pain and thats what will help you know how to help yourself deal with it....Good luck!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Finally Honest

Killer,

I will have to tell you taking Perc's for 2 years straight and now stopping cold turkey is going to be rough. If I were you(and I'm not) I would contact my dr. And inform him of what you are planning to do. If you've been taking them as prescribed and not abusing them then I would suggest a taper with your drs help.

I'm not going to candy coat this, cold turkey is rough, I did it, but I wasn't taking Perc's daily for 2 years either. I'm not saying you can't do it I'm just saying if you can taper with help I'd do it.

Keep us updated!!