Notices

No Pain Without Drugs? You're Kidding, Right?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Pain Without Drugs? You're Kidding, Right?

Hello,

I was put on huge doses of Oxycodone for Osteoarthritis. The odd thing was is that the more I took the worse my pain became. So, back to the doc for more Oxys. They must not be strong enough, right? Wrong!!

I went "cold turkey" off the stuff due to a tiff I had with my doc so I fired him. Well, no more Oxys for me. Remember, these were prescription drugs so the thought of getting some from a "dealer", was a little far-fetched. I'm 64, live in an isolated area and I wouldn't know a dealer from a bucket of beans.

Upon completion of my detox, I prefer to call it the withdrawal from hell. It took me eight days but I'm done.

Now, the point to all the foregoing nonsense is that on day eight my pain had entirely left: I had NONE!!

I was speaking with a doc friend of mine and he told me that what I had was a condition known as: "Opioid-Induced Hyperalgesia", whereby the more opiates you ingest the worse your pain becomes. It doesn't seem to make sense, does it? But, it's true.

In doing a considerable amount of research on this issue I came up with some fascinating information that I would like to share with you. You may read the information contained in the following links and draw your own conclusions.

Opioid-Induced Hyperalgesia

and,

Rapid Detox

Pay special attention to the links contained on the right side of the second link pertaining to Suboxone which seems to be the big deal these days for "treating" opiate dependence. I guarantee it will scare the day-lights out of you!

Hwyl fawr! (Cheerio!)

Gwaredd Thomas

AN ADDENDUM: The foregoing information is not to be construed as any type of medical advice. I am simply providing this to you for your personal education only.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been exactly where you are several times. EXACTLY!
Problem is the pain usually returned within several weeks to a month - and with a vengeance.. I firmly believe that taking the opiods long enough prevents your body from making it's own pain relievers and your body has to reset itself.
I've been on the roller coaster long enough now to where I have access to the meds but do not use them unless I seriously need them like when I can't walk.
My wife is pretty good at knowing when this is the case. We've been married long enough that she can read me very well.
What I've learned over the years is that the meds will take over your life if you allow it. There is a place for the meds but no place for me to use them every day. I know that due to my spinal issues and Arthritis I will always need some help at some point and time - just not every day. I've been beat up by the meds for so long that I've reached the point where I'm finally stronger than the meds (to a point). My wife holds the meds now (by my request) and I use them when I'm forced to, not when I want them.
It's hard to explain but all I can say is this... My life, wife, house, and sanity is now worth more to me than "chillin" on the recliner.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanKatz View Post
I've been exactly where you are several times. EXACTLY!
Problem is the pain usually returned within several weeks to a month - and with a vengeance.. I firmly believe that taking the opiods long enough prevents your body from making it's own pain relievers and your body has to reset itself.
I've been on the roller coaster long enough now to where I have access to the meds but do not use them unless I seriously need them like when I can't walk.
My wife is pretty good at knowing when this is the case. We've been married long enough that she can read me very well.
What I've learned over the years is that the meds will take over your life if you allow it. There is a place for the meds but no place for me to use them every day. I know that due to my spinal issues and Arthritis I will always need some help at some point and time - just not every day. I've been beat up by the meds for so long that I've reached the point where I'm finally stronger than the meds (to a point). My wife holds the meds now (by my request) and I use them when I'm forced to, not when I want them.
It's hard to explain but all I can say is this... My life, wife, house, and sanity is now worth more to me than "chillin" on the recliner.
Hello Ivan,

I guess for me it's wait and see. (Excuse the pun) I'll admit, I was doing a bit of my own "chillin" on the recliner." I do, however, understand your situation and I believe you have made some brave choices.

Best wishes,

Gwaredd Thomas

PS: I've added you to my friends list. I enjoy conversing with you.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to recovery from opiate meds Gwaredd. I dumped my "legally prescribed meds" about 5 weeks ago. I took them for legitimate pain and unfortunately much of that pain persists but I am so happy to be free of those chains. I know the pain isn't a situation where things are getting physically worse so when my pain howls I remind myself that it is "weakness leaving my body". It actually works for me. Good times!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FMTT View Post
Welcome to recovery from opiate meds Gwaredd. I dumped my "legally prescribed meds" about 5 weeks ago. I took them for legitimate pain and unfortunately much of that pain persists but I am so happy to be free of those chains. I know the pain isn't a situation where things are getting physically worse so when my pain howls I remind myself that it is "weakness leaving my body". It actually works for me. Good times!
FMTT,

Thank you for writing. I so glad you're off that junk as well. Thus far, I have no pain whatsoever. I do, though, have some sleep difficulties which I will be talking with my NEW doctor on 11 July. Maybe at that time he'll have some suggestions.

Best wishes,

Gwaredd Thomas
Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Expect the sleep issues for a while. It can sometimes take up to a month or two for your normal sleep rhythm to kick in. Good diet along with some melatonin will help you. I have serious sleep issues myself - some do to pain, and some due to stress. BUT - I do have a little help with the help of my Doctor that is non narcotic or addictive.
Good sleep is so important to the recovery process - PERIOD! Without proper sleep, your anxiety grows which makes your pain grow.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with Ivan. The insomnia can definitely linger along with some other relatively minor physical symptoms like lethargy. I had a breakthrough last night though. I woke up at 4:30 am like I have been for weeks now but instead of being up for the rest of the day, I was able to go back to sleep till 8:30 am. No med help either. Almost 8 hours of sleep. Woo hoo! Finally I think the insomnia monster is weakening.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FMTT View Post
I agree with Ivan. The insomnia can definitely linger along with some other relatively minor physical symptoms like lethargy. I had a breakthrough last night though. I woke up at 4:30 am like I have been for weeks now but instead of being up for the rest of the day, I was able to go back to sleep till 8:30 am. No med help either. Almost 8 hours of sleep. Woo hoo! Finally I think the insomnia monster is weakening.
I agree with you both! and I can't take those "over the counter sleep aids" since I'm allergic to Diphenhydramine as well as Codeine and another one I can't remember.

I have a NEW doctor I'm seeing on 11 July. I'll speak with him then about my sleep issues. Until then it's late to sleep and early to rise, and I'm neither "healthy, wealthy nor wise."

In closing I would just add that I have had no pain since I've been off the Oxys. Of course, I will admit that maybe my Osteoarthritis isn't as severe as is Ivan's. So, at this point, it's kind of a wait and see game. FMTT, I sincerely hope that your sleep problems have been resolved.

Regards to you both,

Gwaredd Thomas

PS: I wrote you a post earlier but when I went to send it the server threw an error and I lost everything. This time I made a copy. Heh!