Notices

Day Eight off Oxys

Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Eight off Oxys

About five months ago I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my neck and lower back. This was borne out by an MRI. I'm 64, and at the time I was experiencing quite a bit of pain. I went to my doc and asked him if he could prescribe something for the pain so he gave me Percocet or Percodan I can't quite recall. Anyway, I discovered that I'm allergic to Acetaminophen which I found out later is the stuff they add to this drug so he said I have something I can prescribe that doesn't have any Acetaminophen. What's that say's I? Oxycodone! Well, OK, if you think it will help. He prescribed 320 10mg tabs which was a months supply. I was supposed to take 20mg's every two hours. Well, it certainly got rid of the pain--for awhile. After about two weeks I noticed that my pain was getting worse not better. I woke-up one morning and my head was locked at a left angle and I couldn't straighten it out, so more Oxys. This went on for five months. I got into a tiff with my doc over another matter and I fired him. Bottom line, no more Oxys for me. So now what? I called some other docs and explained the situation and they told me to get lost.

I don't know anything about drugs so I started doing some research. I found out that this stuff was almost like a synthetic heroin. I thought, Holy Christmas, now what do I do? I recall from some old movies, one in particular, "The Man with the Golden Arm" with Frank Sinatra. Here he is rolling around on the floor, screaming and yelling and all kinds of shenanigans.

I was born in Wales and the Welsh people are known as being a tough race. Well, guess what? I went "cold turkey" and was reduced to a blithering idiot. My mind was like scrambled eggs. I couldn't eat and worst of all I couldn't sleep. Which as you all know, sleep depravation can really make a bloody mess out of things. I'm "normally" very even tempered but I found myself flying into these fits of rage which is something I have never done. We live out in the country and it's just a good thing we live in a ranch house since I wanted to jump out the window. I got so bad that I actually thought of committing suicide but, I thought, no, that's the cowards way out. However, I was scared out of my mind of what I don't know--everything I guess. All of a sudden I'd start crying for no apparent reason.

Well, enough of that. I had heard about a drug called Suboxone it's supposed to reduce the withdrawal symptoms from an opiate dependence. I read some things that other folks had said about it and found out that it was worse from which to detox than Oxys! Blimey!!

I was in such a state yesterday that I actually called a resource to find out if this would help. A very "sweet" lady said "Oh, you'd be surprised how much success we've had with our patients." But, I said, Suboxone is just another opiate. "Well, that's true but the doctors will closely monitor you and gradually take you off of it." I thought to myself...b**l s**t, what do you think I am stupid or something. I finally told her, "tell you what: YOU TAKE IT!" and hung-up.

There is a profound statement in the Hippocratic Oath which states: "do no harm". Fascinating! I recall somewhere that they don't even administer the Oath any longer which goes to explain a whole lot. If that's the case, it sure leaves those blokes a lot of leeway.

I sincerely apologize for this post being so long but this is the first day I have been able to do anything and I just had to get it all out. As Al Capone once said, "I dint haz no entuziasims."

I will leave you with one last thought. It is a theory of which I have arrived. I have to be absolutely clear on this, I have no empirical evidence whatsoever with which to back it up but here goes, see what you think.

Drug companies make billions and billions of dollars each year from dopes like me. (That was my pitiful attempt at humour.) Now, the oxys are supposed to ease the pain, right? As I mentioned above my pain got worse. So, back to the doc for more oxys and on and on...

OK, here's the rub. Drug companies produce a "drug" which is suppose to elevate pain, instead it makes it worse. Guess what? Since I've been off the oxys my pain has dissipated. I have none. Figure that one out!

I would now like to leave you with an old Welsh proverb:

"Efallai y byddwch yn iach ac yn hapus a gall Duw fod gyda chi bob amser!"

Translated: May you be well and happy and may God be with you always!

Hwyl fawr am nawr! (Good bye for now!)

Gwaredd Thomas
Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oxy was my fiend as well. You went through the same withdrawal as is so well documented by others here on this site as well in all of my posts. It is not known to be an activity undertaken for fun.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liv1ce View Post
Oxy was my fiend as well. You went through the same withdrawal as is so well documented by others here on this site as well in all of my posts. It is not known to be an activity undertaken for fun.
Despite the seriousness of your post, your tongue-in-cheek humour I found quite funny. "It is not known to be an activity undertaken for fun." Oh, how true, how true!!
Old 06-26-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd get in touch with that first doctor again. Although his stupidity at prescribing 20 mg every 2 hours is a little shocking, you must have been high as a kite! At least he did prescribe and may be able to offer a plan at reducing the dose or substituting with Suboxone. You're having withdrawals from one opiate, what's so bad at taking another in a controlled way to wean yourself off?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sometime View Post
I'd get in touch with that first doctor again. Although his stupidity at prescribing 20 mg every 2 hours is a little shocking, you must have been high as a kite! At least he did prescribe and may be able to offer a plan at reducing the dose or substituting with Suboxone. You're having withdrawals from one opiate, what's so bad at taking another in a controlled way to wean yourself off?
Sometime...I greatly appreciate your advice but I am now free after eight days...I'm myself again and I don't want to look back!

Lechyd da! (Cheers!)

Gwaredd Thomas
Old 06-26-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drug companies make billions and billions of dollars each year from dopes like me. (That was my pitiful attempt at humour.) Now, the oxys are supposed to ease the pain, right? As I mentioned above my pain got worse. So, back to the doc for more oxys and on and on...

don't get me started on that topic!!!

hope your W/D get easier soon. i bet you never thought you'd have to go through this in your 60's when you probably have never taken this type of drug before. good for you for doing what is right for you. stay strong!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jody675 View Post

don't get me started on that topic!!!

hope your W/D get easier soon. i bet you never thought you'd have to go through this in your 60's when you probably have never taken this type of drug before. good for you for doing what is right for you. stay strong!
Jody...It was very kind of you to take the time to write. As I wrote in my post to SOMETIME: "I am now free after eight days...I'm myself again and I don't want to look back!"

Diolch yn fawr! (Thank you very much!)

Gwaredd Thomas
Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It all seems very simple. "I started". "I stopped". You may have escaped the thrill of it all that so many of us had. I loved getting high and the memories of that as well as the beast inside me that loves to get high will be with me forever. I am 52 or so days free and feel great but I know that I can fall into the rabbit hole any time I am not vigilant. Be careful my friend that there is not a beast inside you that secretly enjoyed all that oxy and is waiting to take you back down.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It all seems very simple. "I started". "I stopped". You may have escaped the thrill of it all that so many of us had. I loved getting high and the memories of that as well as the beast inside me that loves to get high will be with me forever. I am 52 or so days free and feel great but I know that I can fall into the rabbit hole any time I am not vigilant. Be careful my friend that there is not a beast inside you that secretly enjoyed all that oxy and is waiting to take you back down.
liv1ce...I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. Who wouldn't be after an experience like that. Sure, I feel pretty normal again but I told my wife that I'm afraid to go to sleep because I don't know what tomorrow will bring. Sure, I had a good day today but...

Yes, I recall the highs but what I just went through will stay with me a lot longer than the memories of those infrequent "highs."

The one advantage I have is that I live in a fairly isolated area and we don't have many docs around here at least not the ones who would hand out that crap. Nevertheless, your advice is well taken. I will take it a day at a time...and be vigilant.

Best wishes and good health to you!

Gwaredd Thomas
Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't wish to beat this point to death and obviously you have it well in hand at this point. I also don't want to seem like "Mr Experience" but in a way I am. Our lives are nothing but a series of experiences, some we are proud of and as in my case those that make me shudder to remember. I am, however, as is everyone, the sum of all the experiences in our lifetimes. Too many of mine have had to do with being high. That may make me quite different from you but it also puts me in good stead with the well heeled crowd here at sr of those that have fallen back from a wealth of good intentions.

I have gone the route of pot, booze, prescription drugs until finally achieving many years - many - of sobriety and clean, free, sober living only to be taken down by one pill. One pill that reminded me what being high was like. One pill that awakened the beast that had been waiting so long. I was gone for three years.

I, however, am a confirmed addict. You were addicted but does that make you an addict. I don't know the answer to that for you. For me a thunderous YES.

I recall how it felt this most recent time to have 7, 8, 9, 10 days and how good and strong I felt only to be told that it was a "miniscule" amount by another member. I am nearing 60 days now and that seemed like it would be such an accomplishment at day 1. Now it seems as miniscule as day 10 as I know that there is no number of days that will make me safe. Days don't matter, I do and I am the only one who can keep the string going but it keeps coming back to that same damnable phrase - one day at a time.

I know that I am making a point that I have already made and that you have already confirmed that you know but it cannot be made often enough for someone like me and I guess I am confirming it for myself by continuously telling you.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't wish to beat this point to death and obviously you have it well in hand at this point. I also don't want to seem like "Mr Experience" but in a way I am. Our lives are nothing but a series of experiences, some we are proud of and as in my case those that make me shudder to remember. I am, however, as is everyone, the sum of all the experiences in our lifetimes. Too many of mine have had to do with being high. That may make me quite different from you but it also puts me in good stead with the well heeled crowd here at sr of those that have fallen back from a wealth of good intentions.

I have gone the route of pot, booze, prescription drugs until finally achieving many years - many - of sobriety and clean, free, sober living only to be taken down by one pill. One pill that reminded me what being high was like. One pill that awakened the beast that had been waiting so long. I was gone for three years.

I, however, am a confirmed addict. You were addicted but does that make you an addict. I don't know the answer to that for you. For me a thunderous YES.

I recall how it felt this most recent time to have 7, 8, 9, 10 days and how good and strong I felt only to be told that it was a "miniscule" amount by another member. I am nearing 60 days now and that seemed like it would be such an accomplishment at day 1. Now it seems as miniscule as day 10 as I know that there is no number of days that will make me safe. Days don't matter, I do and I am the only one who can keep the string going but it keeps coming back to that same damnable phrase - one day at a time.

I know that I am making a point that I have already made and that you have already confirmed that you know but it cannot be made often enough for someone like me and I guess I am confirming it for myself by continuously telling you.
You sir are a brilliant writer! A lot of the things I read have absolutely no reasoning behind them. Having said that, I believe it to be deplorable for another to tell one that his time was "minuscule". This is nothing but sheer arrogance! and to me it implies a person who is living in fear of his or her own safety. One day off that stuff is, I think, a major accomplishment. For me this is day nine. Do I, for that reason, think I'm on top of the world? Heaven forbid. I still have sleep disorders. Do I feel strong and healthy? No! My 64 year-old body has taken one hell of a beating and it is going to take me a bit time to get over it, of this I have no illusions. The one thing that I have going for me health wise is that prior to this nonsense I was in the best shape of my life (considering my age). I ran four miles a day and did weight training for an hour. Yes, and I was also a bit of a tippler in my day. However, it got to the point where I finally said "I just don't want anything more to do with this stuff; it's doing me absolutely no good." That was 22 years ago and I haven't touched a drop since. I never attended any "meetings" nor did I feel the need to. I just quit. Period.

Rightly or wrongly, it is my belief that a person who lives their lives in "fear" of the next time is like a kid who whistles in the dark to keep up his spirits. By saying this I am in no way discounting anything you have written. This is just my own personal philosophy. It probably isn't worth much but there it is.

In closing, let me just say that it was very kind of you to take the time and care enough to write back. I have no idea how old you are and it makes little difference but you are obviously a man of substance. These days most people are out for themselves you, sir, are not.

Diolch yn fawr! (Thank you very much!)

Gwaredd Thomas

Cymru am blyth! (Wales forever!)
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you. It is easy to respond to your posts as you are quite expressive yourself. I am 63 so we are equally beaten up.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you. It is easy to respond to your posts as you are quite expressive yourself. I am 63 so we are equally beaten up.
Yes, it appears that we both have some time under our belts. I have found, though, that the older one gets the less one knows. Remember when we were kids? We thought we would live forever; nothing would ever harm us. I believe we surprised ourselves.

I will leave you with a shop-worn quote from Franklin Delano Roosevelt and it is this: "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself".

I have never been a big fan of FDR but in this instance I think it may be apropos.

If you ever just want to "shoot the breeze", by all means drop me a line.

All my best wishes to you and !

Gwaredd Thomas
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love to see posts from Baby Boomer aged kindred spirits. Enjoyed your conversation throughout this post. I am 59 this year.
One fact we all know now - The devil of opiate pills strikes at any age.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheReader View Post
Love to see posts from Baby Boomer aged kindred spirits. Enjoyed your conversation throughout this post. I am 59 this year.
One fact we all know now - The devil of opiate pills strikes at any age.
Yes, it is great to communicate with someone who is not 40 years younger than I. I'll be turning 65 on 3 February.

I made another post today which I'm sure you've probably not seen as of yet. Please read the info contained in the provided link and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ing-right.html

Diolch yn fawr iawn am ysgrifennu! (Thank you very much for writing!)

Gwaredd Thomas

Cymru am blyth! (Wales forever!)